1903A3 build - I have no idea what I'm doing

MetalgodZ

NES Member
I've thrown together a few AR uppers and lowers, and I've contemplated an AK build, but I just can't get into it. I did get my hands on a decent condition stripped Smith Corona receiver and a stripped bolt, after being given some (apparently old) info on availability of parts kits. My wife already has a decently period correct SC 1903A3, and we've been talking about adding a scoped bolt gun in something larger than .223 to the collection, so I figure this is a decent starting point.

Are there ANY decent parts kits out there any more? Or should I give up on keeping it kind of correct and just start looking at different stocks?

Looking to build in .25-06, or something else with the .30-06 as a parent case, that's at least kind of commercially available...So having the barrel included in the parts kit isn't that big a deal, though I'm going to need to find a source for the barrel as well.

Haven't even found decent assembly instructions or video. I'm very new to builds of this type, and any direction would be appreciated.

I've thrown together a few AR uppers and lowers, and I've contemplated an AK build, but I just can't get into it. I did get my hands on a decent condition stripped Smith Corona receiver and a stripped bolt, after being given some (apparently old) info on availability of parts kits. My wife already has a decently period correct SC 1903A3, and we've been talking about adding a scoped bolt gun in something larger than .223 to the collection, so I figure this is a decent starting point.

Are there ANY decent parts kits out there any more? Or should I give up on keeping it kind of correct and just start looking at different stocks?

Looking to build in .25-06, or something else with the .30-06 as a parent case, that's at least kind of commercially available...So having the barrel included in the parts kit isn't that big a deal, though I'm going to need to find a source for the barrel as well.

Haven't even found decent assembly instructions or video. I'm very new to builds of this type, and any direction would be appreciated.

Are you trying to build a 25-06 chambered 03a3? With the addition to adding a scope?
Sounds interesting, might try criterion barrels to see if they will do a 25-06 barrel for you.
Sounds expensive though. Might be more reasonable to sell the receiver and bolt to someone who wants to build out a A3 .....wink wink

At least its been done before.... http://www.gunsamerica.com/948286491/REMINGTON-1903A3-BENCH-TAGET-25-06.htm

Few things to consider for the A3 25-06 scoped.
1. Need to modify bolt handle if not done yet
2. DT for scope mount
3. If doing the work yourself you will need a finish reamer , barrel vise and receiver wrench.

Here's the barrel change http://www.mediafire.com/?gg0032lhuj52enl

Last edited:
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/1903a3spfkit.aspx

Link to kit with everything but stock, barrel and receiver....
Nothing like an AR build will require a lot of skill and special tooling to barrel and headspace.....
D'oh. I should have checked their main catalog rather than the old direct link I had. Good find.

I figured it'd take some doing, and maybe some equipment I don't have. I'm pretty quick to pick this stuff up, but I may just have someone local install & headspace the barrel for me.
The Sarco 03A3 parts kits are nice.
I reactivated a drill rifle with the Sarco kit and all of the parts were new.

Jack
Good to know. I'd heard not great things about the quality of some of the parts.
Are you trying to build a 25-06 chambered 03a3? With the addition to adding a scope?
Sounds interesting, might try criterion barrels to see if they will do a 25-06 barrel for you.
Sounds expensive though. Might be more reasonable to sell the receiver and bolt to someone who wants to build out a A3 .....wink wink

At least its been done before.... http://www.gunsamerica.com/948286491/REMINGTON-1903A3-BENCH-TAGET-25-06.htm

Few things to consider for the A3 25-06 scoped.
1. Need to modify bolt handle if not done yet
2. DT for scope mount
3. If doing the work yourself you will need a finish reamer , barrel vise and receiver wrench.

Here's the barrel change http://www.mediafire.com/?gg0032lhuj52enl
That's pretty much it. I was thinking .25-06 because I've seen them done before, the parent case is the same as the original chambering, and it'd give me something with a little less kick and a little flatter trajectory.

I was thinking scout mount, but I'm forgetting that the A3 receiver doesn't have the same blade sight mount that I see the bolt-on scout rails for. Now I'm contemplating whether to look for another bolt, whether there's something else that'd let me mount a scope w/o buying/modifying the bolt, or whether I really need the scope to see the benefits of the flatter cartridge anyway...Though my eyesight strongly suggests I'd better have the scope.

Edit: If someone wants to offer me some cash for the thing, they should consider doing so while I've got my eyes on a nice kevlar stocked CZ 550 in 30-06 to match the 527 kevlar varmint in the safe. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom