1903 USMC Just picked up! Picture Heavy!

Hey guys, very excited about this gem.

Picked up a very nice example of a USMC rebuild. Two very interesting features on this are the darker color parkerizing (usually you see a urine greenish parkerizing) and this sports a pre-war C SA C Stock (which beds better than any other 1903 I have).

The old adage "patience is a virtue" was true with this.

This particular rifle was sitting on gunbroker for several months with no bids. Just sitting dormant. The seller didn't take particularly great pictures but enough to show off it potentially being a great find.

The first problem is the seller took FOREVER to reply for responses. One response took almost 2 weeks for a response. It was miserable in that aspect. So I'd thought I'd throw out an offer. He didn't response then about 2 weeks later asked for my offer because he forgot what it was. I offered another offer slightly higher, he rejected but was willing to counter and I accepted. I looked at his feedback and most feedback was positive (virtually all) but some of the negative feedback was that he would take LONG amounts of time to respond. One feedback comment mentioned taking almost a month to ship. I asked if we could do a FTF, he said that was fine and drove down to Woodbridge, Viriginia (about 1.5-2 hours from my place) to do a transfer with my C and R.

Very nice guy showed me his collection and other things he was selling. Nice older gentleman and a Army Vet. He said he wanted to show me how to tell USMC field gear since Marine stuff commands such a premium. I asked him if he looked under the hand guard.

His reply was "you know, a lot of people were asking me about that. I haven't taken it a part but I bet they're looking for a star gauge to see if it's a National Match."

I left shortly after, took it a part and it was nicer when I get it home (his place had dim lighting so I couldn't really see.) and I found the vice marks.

I'm sorry for the long winded story behind it. But the point I was getting at. I can see that situations like this would get us fed up, throw up your hands and say "I'm done! I'm tapping out!" Which sometimes I have done.

But if you think there's a real gem to be had that's hidden. Stick it out as long as you can hang in there. Because when you get your prize, it's that much more satisfying.

That being said, I'm glad I got it. But I don't know if I would have the patience to go through this again!

Back to the rifle. It's a beautiful

The SRS numbers show it having "friends in good company" with documented USMC rifles.

other features: hatcher hole, stippled buttplate, darkened rear sights, Marine 10 sight hood (not Marine 10 sights), SA-42 barrel.

What do you think?

omg what a gorgeous piece Andrew, congrats! Its just high enough to be a shooter too. Very very nice! How's the bore?

omg what a gorgeous piece Andrew, congrats! Its just high enough to be a shooter too. Very very nice! How's the bore?

Pristine. The TE measures a 0 and the MW -1 or 1. Essentially a brand new barrel. Plus it has perfect 6 o'clock bedding it's probably gonna be my best shooter.

Thanks, I can't wait for my new Rock Island May 1907 and completely correct. When that comes in I'll be sure to share as well.

JPM after seeing your stuff makes me want to completely upgrade my collection like yours!

Back
Top Bottom