• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1903 not-deactivated parade rifle - NICKEL-PLATED BLING

55_grain

NES Member
So..I've had a 1903 on my "list" for a long time, but prices always seem to be unreasonably high compared with other milsurps.

Anyhow, I spotted this 1903 from across the room at the local FFL due to the glare off the nickel-plated bling:

So I went over to see just how corroded the bore was from years of shooting corrosive blanks...and the bore was shiny. Not nickel-shiny like the rest of the rifle, but clean and unpitted. Bolt face has just a little line of plating wear where the case head touches. So I brought her home.

The details (as much as I know so far, feel free to add in details):
1923-ish born-on date with a 4-groove 6/29 SA barrel. Both the barrel and the receiver had 2 punch marks, so I assume that's two runs thru the arsenal at some point. The stock is a replacement, no cartouches of any kind, but it's got some nice grain anyway.

No evidence that I can see of welding of the cutoff or bolt face, and both are nickel plated, too, so I assume they're original to the rifle. The FFL replaced a broken extractor, so no nickel on that.

Focus is on bolt

Focus is on muzzle end

Oh, yeah. Here's some 100 yard (bench) results from this weekend, HXP M2 ball. Not too bad for a 90-year old parade rifle. [grin]

Thanks for looking!

Beautiful! That was the rifle we were issued in military school in the 60's for drill and marching. Memories of sleeping with it after dropping it, just did that once!! Use it well, now you need CMP M-1 Garand [grin]

Very nice, I have a Classics S&W Model 1917 Revolver that is nickel plated. It would make a nice companion piece for your rifle. Maybe we can link up at an NES Shoot for a photo op with both guns together, sort of Pimp My Guns WWI style [wink]

Cool rifle and it still carries its weight at 100 yards. Gary Cooper would have wanted it when he filmed Sgt. York.

I know, I know , Sgt York used a M1917, but Gary cooper used a 1903 in the movie.

Beautiful! That was the rifle we were issued in military school in the 60's for drill and marching. Memories of sleeping with it after dropping it, just did that once!! Use it well, now you need CMP M-1 Garand [grin]

Wish they let me know that NES'rs had been dropping and sleeping with my rifle before I brought her home. lol [shocked][wink]

That rifle is awesome. How much does something like that go for, if you don't mind my asking?

Considerably less than a 1903 in an as-issued condition with an original stock...$515 OTD.

samandglove1 said:
Cool rifle and it still carries its weight at 100 yards.
Thanks Ash. I bet it can do a bit better once I have some more trigger time on that rifle.

Bling.

And did I say, bling? 'Cause I meant to say, "Bling!"

Just the reflection on a sunny day will burn out the retinas of my enemies.

Last edited:
I picked up one of these a few years ago from the cmp for stupid cheap money. Mine wasnt in nearly as nice of shape though. As received
After a little careful sanding

If anything the nickel plating almost makes the action seem "slicker" on an already smooth action. Very cool gun you got there.

DTR: You did a really nice job, that's some fantastic striping in that stock.

I agree, the action on mine is very slick! (But it's the only 1903 I've fired, so I don't have a lot of comparison points)

Back
Top Bottom