• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

18Jun07 BUG Course at SIGArms

MaverickNH

NES Member
Interesting course from SIGArms http://www.sigarms.com/EducationTraining/Courses/ShowCourseDetails.aspx?cid=175&ccid=25

Some of he handguns listed might be BUGs for uniformed officers carry a 2nd IWB, but they seem a tadbit large to serve as BUGs or pocket-rockets otherwise. My SIG P239 will fit in a deep front pocket, but with no hiding it.

There would be an obvious bias toward SIG handguns in their adverts (with even a SIG232 being a bit large for a BUG), but Kahr and Kel-Tec come to mind as more common BUGs, as well as the referenced subbie revolvers (presumably like an S&W 642, although shorter than the 2-3" barrel they mentioned). For snubbie training, Michael deBethencourt's course seems a fine option, but for pocket 38acp/9mm/40S&W, this class might be useful.

So is this a BUG course, or one on carry of small handguns? The former would be a 2-handgun course and the latter a 1-handgun course? Maybe I'll try to find out, but I'd expect an ambiguous answer...

Maximizing Performance with Smaller Defensive Handguns ( Bug Gunz R-Us )

Duration: 2 DAYS (16 hours)

Abstract

The goal of this course is to build and confidence with smaller handguns carried for self defense. Many law enforcement officers and armed citizens utilize smaller, easier-to-conceal handguns. Applications include off duty carry, backup and general self defense. Even though these handguns are widely utilized, for any number of reasons, training opportunities have been somewhat limited.

Overview

This block of instruction will focus on the use of the smaller handgun as a viable self defense tool. Topics to be covered include equipment selection, system capabilities and the enhancement of operator skill. Live fire exercises will emphasize a rapid response and the delivery of accurate, neutralizing fire to one or more adversaries.

About the Instructor:
Instructor Bio: Mike Boyle is a Captain with the NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife, Bureau of Law Enforcement and has over 25 years experience as a use of force instructor. He serves on the Board of Directors of the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors and is a frequent contributor to firearms and law enforcement journals.

Prerequisites All attendees must provide documented completion of a basic handgun course from a recognized establishment/agency to the SIGARMS Academy prior to the course start date.

Notes Ammunition Requirement:
400 rounds of non-toxic frangible ammunition is required to be provided by the student. Ammunition is available for purchase from Sigarms Academy.

Equipment Required:
• Subcompact pistol (examples include SIG-Sauer P239, Glock 26/27, Kahr K9, larger pistols not appropriate), Pocket pistol ( Walther PPk, SIG-Sauer P232) or small revolver w/ 2-3 inch barrel.
• Light covering garment such as a vest, shirt or jacket
• Concealment holster(s) and belt, # magazines, speedloaders or speedstrips.
• Ammo requirement outlined above.

SCHEDULE INFORMATION Duration: 2 DAYS (16 hours)

Start Date Course Number Location Tuition Type

6/18/2007 07-MPSDH-01 Epping, NH Exeter and Epping, NH Only [$395.00] Register Now

I found an email for the course instructor and he noted the focus will be the use of small handguns as primary weapons.

400rd through a Kel-Tec P-3AT in 2-days might be ... interesting. Guess I'll bring my Kel-Tec P-32 as a BUG to my BUG.[wink]

I would say that it is a "small handgun" course since they don't ask that you bring two pistols, but the course description definitely makes it sound like the course will be doing double duty as a small handgun/BUG class.

Course looks pretty good! I'm always amazed in IDPA matches that many of the shooters who are very competent with their main competition guns are relatively incompetent with their "BUG" (which most of them carry all of the time). Seems no one likes to train with the carry piece.

I tend to train with an equal number of rounds on each weapon.

Back
Top Bottom