• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

why does a civilian need a 30 round mag?

If the magazine limit was applied to cars, people would lose their minds.

"Gov Patrick introduced a bill to help public safety by limiting the speed of cars to 70 mph, since no one but military and police have a need to go over 70 mph. No new vehicles capable of exceeding 70 mph will be legal in MA. All vehicles owned before this date capable of going over 70, but not over 100 shall be legal as long as the owners promise to never drive over 70. Driving over 70 will be a felony resulting in fines and or prison time. Vehicles regardless of their age capable of exceeding 100mph will be prohibited. Owners have one year to turn them in to authorities or sell them out of state."

[laugh2]Well, then I guess my 6 speed will become an automatic transmission, since that is pretty much first gear for me![laugh]

Here is your answer to the question:

Why MA Police Use AR-15's - DOCUMENTED

A. Because : **** you.
B. because I don't know how many people I may need to try to kill.
C. Because I own a low power small caliber rifle - a Bushmaster 223 .
D. Because its the industry standard
E. the Founders protected my god given civil right to own the same class of weapon as the US infantry rifleman.
F. See answer " A " again , if you disagree with any of the above.

Heck, it should be "A" even if you do agree.

The people should possess all the same arms as their government, in case the government oversteps it's bounds and they have to oppose them.

Didn't the Miller Supreme Court case determine this is how it should be? Did they not eliminate sawed off long guns because they do NOT serve a military purpose, and we should only have guns which have use in the military?

Last edited:
When you have a party, do you buy just enough food and beverages for everyone to eat and drink? Or do you buy more than needed in case people are really hungry and thirsty, or in case everybody invited shows up?

You don't wanna be the guy with the lame ass party, where everyone left 'cause you ran out of burgers or brewskis.

If three punks show up to rape your daughter and steal your stuff, you "might" be okay if you only take out two of them. Plus you need extra ammo for the "warning shots."

When people ask me *stupid* questions like "Why do you need a 30 round magazine", If I'm in a good mood (rare) I ask them why they need a 32 oz coffee? Or why they "need" to go out and eat every night or why they "need" to rent so many videos or why they "need" so many channels on their TV or why they "need" a 60" TV. If I'm in a bad mood (most likely) I look them in the eye and say "Because the voices in my head tell me I need them for people like you". That usually sends them scurrying.

When people ask me *stupid* questions like "Why do you need a 30 round magazine", If I'm in a good mood (rare) I ask them why they need a 32 oz coffee? Or why they "need" to go out and eat every night or why they "need" to rent so many videos or why they "need" so many channels on their TV or why they "need" a 60" TV. If I'm in a bad mood (most likely) I look them in the eye and say "Because the voices in my head tell me I need them for people like you". That usually sends them scurrying.

[laugh2]Very quote worthy post right here![laugh]

The answer to this questions runs the gamut with me from "because f**k you that's why" to something explanatory and insightful. The response is determined by the audience. Trolls get troll worthy responses, and people who are asking in earnest get a real informative answer. I had a friend on facebook ask this very question recently. She's very liberal, is very big on women's rights, pro gay marriage, etc. I was actually surprised that she was legitimately asking the question, and not trolling. I explained a lot of stuff to her, but I think the last thing I told her really resonated with her.

Think of gun rights like abortion. People who are pro-choice or pro-gun know that no single politician can ban either thing outright. What they do (or try to do) is take it away a piece at a time. That way, they can call you unreasonable and crazy because "nobody needs a partial birth abortion". Next thing you know, the only time you can legally exercise your right to choose is when your life is in imminent danger because of the pregnancy, and even then it has to be approved by a panel of people (who hate abortion to begin with). Believe it or not, that exact scenario is what people in some states have to go through to buy a gun now (Mass is one of those places).

She didn't really have anything to say after that. This is obviously an argument that won't work with everybody, but everybody has a hot button issue that's very important to them. If you know what it is for the person you're talking to, then you should be able to come up with a response that they can relate to.

even 'highly trained law enforcement' [rofl] (excuse me) only hit 1 time out of every 7. and criminals often need to be shot multiple times before the threat is controlled.

For the same reason the police need them , lawful protection of self and others.

30 round magazines aren't high capacity anyway , they are standard capacity that's what the factory sends them out with and if they're good enough for law enforcement than they are good enough for law-abiding citizens.

A better question might be, why do you need a 12 oz beer? 7 oz is more than enough to quench your thirst. That may hit closer to home.

Heck, most home defense shotguns are now capable of holding 7 or 8, 2.75" shells of 00, 9-shot buck.

By my math, that's 72 rounds. Much better than 30. Right?

- - - Updated - - -

For the same reason the police need them , lawful protection of self and others.

30 round magazines aren't high capacity anyway , they are standard capacity that's what the factory sends them out with and if they're good enough for law enforcement than they are good enough for law-abiding citizens.

Quoted for truth.

We need to stop using anti language. The 30-round magazine for a semi-auto rifle with detachable magazine is standard issue. A 40-round magazine is a high capacity magazine. A 100-round drum is extended capacity.

Tell them it is the Bill of Rights not the Bill of Needs. If they say that they had musket's back then, tell them that the 1st admenment protects free speech - back then there was NO internet, blogs magazines etc. So do we restrict 1A?

Tell them it is the Bill of Rights not the Bill of Needs. If they say that they had musket's back then, tell them that the 1st admenment protects free speech - back then there was NO internet, blogs magazines etc. So do we restrict 1A?

[laugh2]Yep, by your example, those things would be considered "high capacity" communication devices![laugh]

* Having 11 rounds instead of 10 doesn't make we want to turn criminal and kill people.
* Generally, mags hold as much as ammo as is reasonable (weight/size) for their host firearm (AR, big, 30rds... LCR, tiny, 5rds)
* When bad guys go off to do whatever, they will equipe themselves with as much ammo as they want, and whatever number of magazines gets them there, regardless of capacity, in their jacket/pack/vest. If I have a firearm for defense, esp. CCW, I will generally not want to carry around a pile of extra mags...so want as much capacity as possible given a defensive rig.
* WTF could be worse than running out of ammo when you need it.

We need 30-rd mags because we have a government thinks it can establish laws to ban 30-rd mags, and the agents they send to enforce such laws will have 30-rd mags. That's why!

Our Military forces protect our country with an M4 rifle with 30 round magazines and a semi-auto pistol with 15 round magazines.
Our Secret Service protect our President with an M4 and 30 round magazines and a semi-auto pistol with 15 round magazines.
Our Federal Police protect our government with an M4 and 30 round magazines and a semi-auto pistol with 15 round magazines.
Our State Police protect our States and our towns with an M4 and 30 round magazines and a semi-auto pistol with 15 round magazines.
How many rounds do YOU think my family and my life are worth?

Defense experts and the Second Amendment agree, a carbine and a semi-auto pistol with standard capacity magazines are the birthright of every US citizen. They are worldwide 'standard issue' for defensive arms.

When the data is clear that the number of guns has NO relationship with the amount of violence, why do you need to tell me what I can own?

It's just that simple. The question is invalid. The reality is they cannot even show a correlation, much less causation that says that fewer guns in a society makes it safer.

There are violent societies, cities, etc... where guns are banned, there are very safe societies, cities, etc... where guns are plentiful. There are also violent societies, cities, etc... where there is violence and guns.

It is the society that determines the level of violence, not the guns or any other tool available.

The only readily identifiable correlation is between those who wish to ban guns and abuse of power that correlation is perfect (because there is causation there as well).

When the data is clear that the number of guns has NO relationship with the amount of violence, why do you need to tell me what I can own?

It's just that simple. The question is invalid. The reality is they cannot even show a correlation, much less causation that says that fewer guns in a society makes it safer.

There are violent societies, cities, etc... where guns are banned, there are very safe societies, cities, etc... where guns are plentiful. There are also violent societies, cities, etc... where there is violence and guns.

It is the society that determines the level of violence, not the guns or any other tool available.

The only readily identifiable correlation is between those who wish to ban guns and abuse of power that correlation is perfect (because there is causation there as well).

Well said!

Why? A lot of home defense answers here, and I have the same ones. But, the real reason is because when the government decides you are an enemy of the state because you have a different opinion or you have a different belief, they are not just going to send 1 or 2 to come take you away. If they know I have a safe full of deterrents, they may not come at all.

Why does a civilian need a 30 round mag?
Let's see. To start with because 10s and 20s just won't work in an FS 2000. And it also works better if you have the older standard issue, thermolds just won't fit correctly in it.

For my reglular ARs its more a question of preference its a pain in the ass to load the 100 round beta mags and the barrel gets really hot if you mag dump that. The thirty rounders are a nice balance. I really do prefer the 20s though.

For something like an Hk94 its just the way it is. A 10 rounder would be stupid.

Wait...... was this a real question ?

Why does a civilian need a 30 round mag?
Let's see. To start with because 10s and 20s just won't work in an FS 2000. And it also works better if you have the older standard issue, thermolds just won't fit correctly in it.

For my reglular ARs its more a question of preference its a pain in the ass to load the 100 round beta mags and the barrel gets really hot if you mag dump that. The thirty rounders are a nice balance. I really do prefer the 20s though.

For something like an Hk94 its just the way it is. A 10 rounder would be stupid.

Wait...... was this a real question ?
The real question is why are we tolerating this arbitrary and capricious infringement on our fundamental rights?

The real question is why are we tolerating this arbitrary and capricious infringement on our fundamental rights?

I am going to go with because we live in a pseudo tyrannical state which has not yet committed enough victimization as to incite the populous to committ open rebellion ?

The beauty of that last sentence is that you can [Insert Place that you live here] as it all is a matter of degree and perspective.

I am going to go with because we live in a pseudo tyrannical state which has not yet committed enough victimization as to incite the populous to committ open rebellion ?

The beauty of that last sentence is that you can [Insert Place that you live here] as it all is a matter of degree and perspective.
Which leads to the next question of are you doing everything you can to force the legislative and legal process to uphold their duty to the Constitution and your rights?

I am working my ass off and I still don't think I am doing enough. I know I did not do enough in the past.

Which leads to the next question of are you doing everything you can to force the legislative and legal process to uphold their duty to the Constitution and your rights?

I am working my ass off and I still don't think I am doing enough. I know I did not do enough in the past.

My legistlators certainly know how I feel about this. The problem is that they don't give a rats ass how I or folsk like me feel about this as we are the minority.
This of course leaves me with limited options should a confiscatory ruling become the law. (1) move to another state that is further to the correct side of this issue , or (2) attach myself and consideralbe sums of money to a lawsuit to re-assert my rigths once I have standing to do so.

But since I do not have unlimited funds at my disposal to protect those rights, the sad reality is that (1) is likely to be cheaper than (2).

Back
Top Bottom