• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

why does a civilian need a 30 round mag?

this is a short and to the point answer:

(1) Failure to stop the aggressor, and
(2) Multiple aggressors.

About a week ago, I was listening to Mark Levin's program on WRKO, and a retired LEO called in. He related a story about a firefight he and several other officers were involved in ( I forget where it was), going up against a bank robber wearing protective Kevlar. He claims more than 200 rounds were shot at the perp, and he was only hit twice. The cops finally took him down, but the LEO said "you'll never know how many rounds you'll need until it's over."

Even Levin was impressed by that nugget of wisdom.

Ask the woman in Georgia that put five .38s into the home intruder while she was hiding with her kids in a crawl space, and he still walked out of the house and tried to drive away.

I'm working on a FAQ:

Q: Why do you need a 30 round magazine?
A: When you choose something to keep your family safe you use what offers the most protection. When it comes to protecting my family I don’t make compromises.

Q: Do you really need a 30 round magazine for protection?
A: It would be more accurate to say that it is best to use what was intended by the firearm manufacturer. Many of the magazines modified to meet the current 10 round restrictions in Massachusetts cause malfunctions. The proposed 7 round limit is further complicated since most magazines aren’t offered in a 7 round capacity—it’s effectively a disarmament clause.

Q: why do you need 30 round magazines

A:Because reloading 3 ten round mags....sucks.

The answer to the question of why does anyone need a 30 round mag is the same as the question on why does anyone need an AR.

FOR ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES!

This separates us from the scumbags.

Them: Why do you need a 30 round magazine?
You: You appear to be overweight*. The USDA says you only need 2000 calories a day. Why do you feel you need more?

*Most Americans are, so it's a safe bet the person asking you this question is as well. And f*** 'em if they're insulted by you pointing it out.

625 RWHP Termi ......nice. Big whipple. I know unrelated but impressive

Yep, exactly![wink] Finally someone that doesn't think my screen name is referring to a movie![smile]

008-7.jpg

Last edited:
Them: Why do you need a 30 round magazine?
You: You appear to be overweight*. The USDA says you only need 2000 calories a day. Why do you feel you need more?

*Most Americans are, so it's a safe bet the person asking you this question is as well. And f*** 'em if they're insulted by you pointing it out.

I really like this one![laugh]

Honestly you're right, I don't need a 30 round mag. I need several thirty round mags. and I don't hunt. My guns are to protect me and my family and to defend this country from a tyrannical government. Do you think the economy is in trouble and shit will hit the fan or are you confident that the Government can borrow 46 cents on every dollar it spends indefinitely?"

Or something like that.

While it is fun to answer this question with snide remarks like "because **** you, that's why", it really would benefit us to be able to articulate why these magazines are beneficial to someone who is completely against them or is simply not convinced.

There are just short of 300 justifiable homicides committed by civilians each year.
The "if it saves one life" crowd seems to have no problem adding the 300 citizens to the countries murder rate.

So, are they really interested in saving lives?

30 round mags

For the same reason police have at least one thirty round in the trunk with their AR, several 15 rounds on their belt, and a fully loaded shotgun.

Of course they have a radio and backup; we have our friends/family behind us to protect.

While it is fun to answer this question with snide remarks like "because **** you, that's why", it really would benefit us to be able to articulate why these magazines are beneficial to someone who is completely against them or is simply not convinced.

Ask them what number they feel is appropriate. Then offer to take them to the range.

Yep, exactly![wink] Finally someone that doesn't think my screen name is referring to a movie![smile]

008-7.jpg

If the magazine limit was applied to cars, people would lose their minds.

"Gov Patrick introduced a bill to help public safety by limiting the speed of cars to 70 mph, since no one but military and police have a need to go over 70 mph. No new vehicles capable of exceeding 70 mph will be legal in MA. All vehicles owned before this date capable of going over 70, but not over 100 shall be legal as long as the owners promise to never drive over 70. Driving over 70 will be a felony resulting in fines and or prison time. Vehicles regardless of their age capable of exceeding 100mph will be prohibited. Owners have one year to turn them in to authorities or sell them out of state."

why? The same reason a person buys a Shelby Cobra when a Civic will get to you to work..........You like them, thats the only reason i need, its my money, its not your business

The people should possess all the same arms as their government, in case the government oversteps it's bounds and they have to oppose them.

A. Because : **** you.
B. because I don't know how many people I may need to try to kill.
C. Because I own a low power small caliber rifle - a Bushmaster 223 .
D. Because its the industry standard
E. the Founders protected my god given civil right to own the same class of weapon as the US infantry rifleman.
F. See answer " A " again , if you disagree with any of the above.

The usual question: Why do people need a 30 round clip? Why do you feel you need so many rounds? These large capacity clips simply allow a person to kill are large number of people in a mass shooting situation. If we ban them, then it will help to stop mass shootings.

Consider this scenario, since this is what the main stream media has been presenting as the reason why they want ot ban 'high capacity magazines'.

Imagine you're a deranged person, and you've decided to go and create mayhem and kill as many people as you can, for whatever reason your sick mind has chosen.

You start by planning who will be your victims, including in your plans the location and the method of your killing.

The key word here is 'planning'. You have all the time in world to pick the place and other details of your plan.

You decide to pick a 'gun free zone' so as to minimize the chance that you will run into anyone that can shoot back at you. If you choose your venue carefully, there will no on duty police, nor armed guards. Where would you choose? Probably a known 'gun free zone', so you would either choose a place with a lot of people where they post 'NO GUNS ALLOWED', or a school, which is a 'gun free zone' by federal law. You will also pick a place to not be next to a police station, or a place where police are known to frequent. You may even visit the place a few times to be sure of this and to pick a good time of day to carry out your 'plan'.

Next you take the time to gather your weapons or your other 'tools of mahem'. You can also bring as many magazines full of ammunition with you as you can carry. Fill a backpack full of them or stuff your pockets full with them if you like. As you feel there will be little oppposition to you and you will have plenty of time to walk around, shoot at people and not once have to rush to change to a new magazine when the one you are using is empty.

At this point it wouldn't matter if you had a backpack full of 30 round magazines (which are larger and heavier so only so many will fit in your backpack or your pockets) or a backpack full of 10 round magazines (which are smaller and lighter so more will fit in your backpack or pockets). If you're smarter and understand guns, you would probably chose more smaller, lighter 10 round magazines as your rifle will be lighter and easier to both carry and to aim. An experienced shooter also knows that a 10 round magazine is more realiable than a larger magazine and is less prone to jam.

The key is that since you're planning this mahem ahead of time, you have plenty of time to gather what you need and to the details about what you will do. The size of the magazines doesn't matter at all! It takes only a second to exchange an empty magazine for a full one. So if you only had access to 10 round magazines, your plan would be no different and you would probably have less potential of a jam in the magazine..

When the police were called, it would take them probably 10 to 20 minutes to get on site, gather and start their search for you. If you carried 10, 10 round magazines, that would mean that you would lose only about 10 to 20 seconds (considering 1 to 2 seconds to change a magazine) of lost time while you were walking around shooting your victims, and in fact, you could change each magazine while you were searching for the next victim, so there would be no real 'lost' time. In real practical sense, the size of the magazine makes no different to you.

Now let's consider a totally different scenario.

You're a homeowner that is asleep at night. You have a pistol to defend yourself and your family. You suddenly are awakened by a commotion outside that is someone is trying to break into your home. You only have a few seconds to wake up, grab your gun and flashlight and investigate to find out what is happening.

In this scenario, you don't have the luxury of time to plan and gather supplies, you barely have enough time to get to your gun. If you're lucky, you will get to it before the bad guys are standing over you in your bedroom.

Keep in mind that shooting a pistol is not like what you see in the movies. If you have to shoot to defend your family, especially under the stress and shock of just being woken-up, with adrenaline pumping through your veins, you may miss the bad guy! And what if there are more than one? Under this scenario, you would be very upset if you only had a 10 round magazine in your pistol, if you need that 11th, 13th, or 16th shot, you will be happy to have it, so as to be able to protect your family and have the bad guys headed to the hospital (or worse) instead of you of your loved ones.

Also keep in mind that there are millions of these inexpensive magazines already available on the common market. Any so called ban would only stop a law abiding citizen from having one. The criminals have no consideration for laws and would have all the high capacity magazines as they can cary. Remember, they have the luxury of time and of planning before they start breaking into your home! They can choose when, where and what to bring with them during their criminal activities.

Back
Top Bottom