• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

why does a civilian need a 30 round mag?

if some dooshe like piers morgan or david gregory type corners you and poses this accusatory question,

this is a short and to the point answer:

(1) Failure to stop the aggressor, and
(2) Multiple aggressors.

"its not about magazine capacity, its about mental capacity"

its about the dignity to defend ones life.

Piers Morgan in his latest clip when asked about a New Yorker who was attacked by 7 men with tire irons said "well he wasn't killed was he, so why should he be allowed to kill someone else"

what a dick!

I prefer to not go on the defensive when someone asks this. State clearly that when someone is trying to take away something, it is up to THEM to explain why you should not be allowed to have it. The onus is not on you to explain why you need it, you are not a criminal. Once they attempt to explain why you shouldn't have it, these arguments can easily be deconstructed. Say they claim its to limit the amount of killing power someone has, explain to them how mag limits would not stop a shooter from killing defenseless people due to the easiness of reload and how mass shooters always carry large amounts of ammunition on them anyway.

FBI and other LE studies show very low hit rates for shooters under pressure. In some studies it was in the 20 percent range. A 7 round magazine might allow a civilian shooter to get 1 or 2 hits to stop an attack.

Why isn't it a requirement for all civilian gun owners to have 30 round magazines?

Point out that even "highly trained police officers" only have around 30% accuracy under stress, and only 1/7 people dies from handgun wounds which means you may have a tough time stopping a determined attacker if you only have 7, 10 etc rounds.

Anti's will generally not buy most arguments that a civilian "needs" a 30-round mag. I tend to have more success arguing that there's no reason people shouldn't be able to have them:

"Why do you want to ban hicap mags?"

"To save lives"

"How many lives do you expect this to save? Not many people killed by rifles etc"

"If it saves only 1 life, it's worth it."

"Why don't we make the speed limit on the highway 30mph? "One big mac per month" law? That would save tens of thousands of lives each year"

"..."

"There are lots of things that are dangerous that society tolerates, and hi-cap magazines are statistically much less dangerous than cars, alcohol, etc. 'You don't need that' is not a good enough argument."

One of the Columbine shooters used a rifle with ten round mags. He fired 96 rounds with that rifle.

FBI and other LE studies show very low hit rates for shooters under pressure. In some studies it was in the 20 percent range. A 7 round magazine might allow a civilian shooter to get 1 or 2 hits to stop an attack.

Why isn't it a requirement for all civilian gun owners to have 30 round magazines?

so just tell them "we are all bad shots?? [smile]

Piers Morgan in his latest clip when asked about a New Yorker who was attacked by 7 men with tire irons said "well he wasn't killed was he, so why should he be allowed to kill someone else"

what a dick!

It's bizarre, but that's the mindset people have over there... I have a friend from the UK who I talk about guns with a lot. His house was invaded once, he got tied up, beaten up and they stole his stuff. But he was cool with it because he "knew" they wouldn't kill him. They are more likely to get beat up, robbed and stabbed, but they think it's a fair tradeoff because they are less likely to be killed by a criminal.

I think I'll stay in the US, thanks...

so your argument is because we can't aim?

in actuallity the police are the ones that hit their targets less the lady that shot the guy in her house last week from her attic hit him 6 out of 7 times. Has anybody read any articles on police shootings with that type of round on tartget percentage?

Just human nature....stress affects everyone.

91e1dcfeaba294b00907f630ba4c1c.jpg

I always say because apparently the bad guys use them, and since we can't take theirs away, why should mine as a legal, law abiding gun owner have mine taken? Besides, it's like any other things we own, but don't necessarily need. I have a car with 625 rear wheel horsepower and you could also say why does anyone need that much power? Simple answer is you don't, but this is AMERICA, and we have the choice to own these things if we choose!

The answer to the question is also found in Newtown Ct. Watch the tv video footage, and almost every police officer responding on scene is carrying a REAL military assault weapon (selective fire) with large capacity mag. They know that when the need to defend themselves and others this is the right tool for the job. So when I have to defend myself and my family, I want access to the same tool for the same reason even if I can only have the civilian version of the military rifle.

If a mass murder walks into an unarmed school or building I bet they have over 3 minutes before police arrive. 1 thirty round or 4 seven rounds more than enough time to make his mark in history.

what a dick!

I saw that today. I'm not sure if somebody posted up on it, but if you watch that clip again, he said that "it killed XX people in a theater." I'm sort of paraphrasing, but you catch my drift.

- - - Updated - - -

Civilians need 30-round magazines because that's what the government forces have. Plain and simple.

If we actually understood the Second Amendment, we would have select-fire M4s instead of "puny" semi-automatic AR-15s.

In actuality, you need, at a minimum, the number of rounds required to terminate the threat. This could be one round, it could be five rounds, seven rounds, twelve rounds, or more than that. If you have multiple threats (e.g. multiple home invaders) you need more. Simple.

When asked this -

Because the need for security is a human right and a psychological requirement for human survival.

Who am I to tell someone how much ammunition should make them feel safe? I don't define what religion others should believe in or tell others what kind of shelter they should have, so why do you need to define what my needs for security are?

The answer to the question is also found in Newtown Ct. Watch the tv video footage, and almost every police officer responding on scene is carrying a REAL military assault weapon (selective fire) with large capacity mag. They know that when the need to defend themselves and others this is the right tool for the job. So when I have to defend myself and my family, I want access to the same tool. Period!

FIFY.

...Civilians need 30-round magazines because that's what the government forces have. Plain and simple.

If we actually understood the Second Amendment, we would have select-fire M4s instead of "puny" semi-automatic AR-15s.

In actuality, you need, at a minimum, the number of rounds required to terminate the threat. This could be one round, it could be five rounds, seven rounds, twelve rounds, or more than that. If you have multiple threats (e.g. multiple home invaders) you need more. Simple.

QFT.

It has nothing to do with aim. Humans react to stress in ways that decrease their motor skills. The FBI and LE studies support this idea.

The more you train the less it affects you. A regular IDPA shooter will do better than a typical LEO that qualifies every six months. The LEO should do better than your spouse who comes to the range every so often.

You do not lose your right to defend yourself because you suck at shooting. You should not have your right to defend yourself compromised because some liberal a**h*** in Boston thinks he knows what's best for you!

so your argument is because we can't aim?

in actuallity the police are the ones that hit their targets less the lady that shot the guy in her house last week from her attic hit him 6 out of 7 times. Has anybody read any articles on police shootings with that type of round on tartget percentage?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom