1873 Trapdoor - price/value opinions needed

rep308

NES Member
@majspud
A friend of mine is an executor of an estate containing an 1873 Trapdoor Springfield. Could the collective brain trust offer their opinions on what a fair wholesale or retail price would be? Don't know the condition of the bore and obviously would need a gunsmith check/clean/inspect before any attempted firing:

one.JPEGtwo.JPEGthree.JPEGfour.JPEGsix.JPGseven.JPEG

Mint they can get up to about $3k. This one looks like it's in ok condition, you could probably get around $600 for this, unless I'm missing something and this is some rare variant. Cool guns, just not rare.

No idea, but if I were the executor I'd try to find out whether it's shootable before offering it for sale; that'll change the equation, potentially.

Or? I'll give him a buck-fiddy for it.

The stock,and the metal look like someone messed with it.That will hurt the value.

‘Value’ is relative... it all depends on what is planned for the gun. Your question of wholesale/retail pricing suggests they intend to sell, as opposed to valuation for settlement of the estate.

If the intent is to sell, then simply consign through a third-party who will properly describe and market the firearm to a targeted audience of collectors. That will be the most efficient and least hassle method.

I’d recommend Legacy Collectibles, as I have purchased through them before and they are reputable — although, I have not consigned through them myself.

Best of luck to you and your friend seeking a value. Please keep us posted as to what it was valued and if it sold for the estimated price.

I was in Shooters Outpost yesterdaya nd they had one for sale. IIRC, the price tag was $1199, but I won't swear to that number. Stock condition was a lot better than the pictures above, but works didn't look much different.

@rep308 First of all its a Model 1884 or possible a Model 1888 but its not a Model 1873. The breechblocks are interchangable and used on both models.

Condition of the bore is going to dictate the price since the rest of it is obvious. Its not well cared for. The lock plate looks like someone scrubbed it with steel wool and the stock looks stripped and dried out. I think maybe it was hanging over someone's fireplace for a long time? Is the cleaning rod present? Can you get a shot of the muzzle end so I can tell you which model it is?

If the bore is good you'd probably be lucky to get $600 in this condition. If its not, then its just a parts gun, get what you can.

Back
Top Bottom