• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1873 Springfield Trapdoor Questions

Picked up a 1873 Springfield Trapdoor "Wallhanger" for short $. Took it to the shop and even though it looked terrible, it appeared shootable. Picked up a box of 45-70 reloads and took it to the range. What a hoot! The cartridges are the size of a miniature anti-tank round and plenty of kick and smoke! Also kind of cool that this was the firearm of Custer's 7th Calvary at Little Bighorn.

A couple of questions:
- Are the cartridges black powder or some sort of modern powder? If so can you use standard barrel cleaning solutions?
- The extractor spring pin was missing, but the extractor worked fine. Is this normal?

I wouldn't shoot unknown reloads in an old gun like that. The 45-70 can be pumped up to near .458 Win Mag level and the old Trapdoors can't handle that kind of pressure.

Hard telling if the ones you shot were blackpowder or not.

Great old guns.

There should have been no doubt if they were blackpowder - should have been a lot of smoke with that sized cartridge.
Definitely follow Pat's advice and be careful with what you shoot out of it. Make so BP reloads yourself and do some iron buffalo shooting.

45/70 is very fun with BP. I had a H&R Handi-Rifle in 45/70 and shot BP loads through it just because it was cheap fun. If the gun was in any way questionable I would personally stick to BP with it. An overcharged smokeless load would not be fun should the gun decide to fail.

Either load or buy smokeless loads specifically made to be used in the old Trap-Door rifles, or buy or cast some bullets, get some pyrodex or BP, and go have some fun with it!
BP is easy to clean up after with a number of methods. I used hot soapy water, T/C's #13 bore cleaner, and T/C's Bore Butter, and occasionally T/C's T17 foaming bore cleaner.

For bullets I bought un-lubed cast bullets that were made for BP cartridges and lubed them with T/C's Bore Butter. I never had a problem with lead fouling or powder fouling. I always used Pyrodex, but I know several on the forum use BP and say they like it better.

I am sure others give you advice as well. I just used the same stuff I use in my muzzleloader and it seemed to work fine.

Also, if you don't have a press and would like to try loading your own BP cartridges, LEE makes the Classic Lee Loader in 45/70 and can be bought for $25-30 and will work very well for what you need. It's all I used when I had my 45/70.
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1271105014.4021=/html/catalog/cleeloader.html

Last edited:
I don't think the 45-70 loads you buy are BP, but it doesn't really make any difference as long as the box is marked 45-70 Gov't. It's loaded to proper specs if it says that on the box.

If you reload, check a reloading manual for a proper load.

Last edited:
I don't think the 45-70 loads you buy are BP, but it doesn't really make any difference as long as the box is marked 45-70 Gov't. It's loaded to proper specs if it says that on the box.

If you reload, check a reloading manual for a proper load.

Actually, you can still get BP cartridges made by GOEX callled "Black Dawge" cartridges, that are specifically loaded for Trapdoors. Of course, reloading is alot cheaper in the long run, and you can tailor the load to what works best for your gun.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom