• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1858 Remington Army

My mother has an 1858 Remington Army that has been passed down through the family for generations. She is trying to sell it, against my wishes. I believe it is a good investment to keep. I am trying to find out how much it is worth. It is an authentic, I believe it has government markings, but I have not inspected it in a while. I am hoping she will just give it to me, but I don't know if it will happen if she knows how much it is worth. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks.

Try to impress upon her the value it has to you far exceeds the monitary gain she may get now. That you will continue to keep it in the family as an heirloom.
Offer to give her some $$ if she is in financial hardship.

Just a few suggestions.

Reproduction of the 1858, depending upon maker, are going for $300-$600. That just for a reproduction of the original. If she has an original in good working order, I would bet the value would be at least double what the repros are getting.

I agree...pull the heartstrings, by god. She should NOT sell that gun! Tell her to give it to you in her will and assure her it will stay in the family.

Wish I could tell you what it was worth, but I have no clue. I LOVE those old 1858's, though. Beautiful pistol.

Tell her its only worth a couple hundred and then get it from her! You don't sell heirlooms in my opinion. Can't put a price on history that you can trace through your family.

You don't sell heirlooms in my opinion. Can't put a price on history that you can trace through your family.

Tell that to my late Grandmother on my Mother's side. [rolleyes] She passed away a few years ago, and apparently several years back when she was getting in bad shape she sold all of her heirlooms, jewelery, furniture, whatever wasn't bolted to the floor. My Mom was so pissed off. She inherited the money that my Grandmother got for the stuff, but it wasn't the money my Mom cared about, it was the family heritage and the memory of her Mother that she valued.

Apparently the excuse she gave was that she thought everyone would "just give everything away" after she passed. [rolleyes]

In all seriousness, if she's only selling it for the money tell her what you think it's worth and why she needs to keep it. A gun like that will only increase in value the longer she keeps it. If she's dead set on selling it, have her sell it to someone you know and trust that is willing to loan you the money. Give him or her the gun to keep for you until you can pay off the loan. If you can own this gun in your state that is. Letting something like that out of your family is a bad mistake.

Here's one that is pretty beat up asking $1350. Seems like a real nice one might be $2k or more.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8432282

It is in better shape than that, it stills fires. I remember shooting it as a kid with my grandfather before he passed. It is a damn shame that she wants to sell it. I will have to look into the legality of transferring it to me up in NY. My mom lives in NC and it is killing me that I don't have it. She really doesn't understand the value of the old firearms my grandfather had before he passed. He didn't own many, but the ones he had were top notch.

I have a C&R License but that does not help. Pistols are not allowed under C&R in NY. It has to be on my Pistol License.

My understanding is that the old cap and ball revolvers only need to be on your NY Pistol License if you are SHOOTING them. (And in NY, possesion of the necessary powder, caps, and balls is presumptive evidence that you are, or intend to shoot them.)

I've been told that this is the "loophole" the out-of-state re-enactors use to bring their cap and balls in. They leave the pistol balls home and just carry them as props.

Verify this with your local sherrifs dept. It should NOT be a problem bringing this in from another state, and you can add it to your license when you are ready - if ever - to shoot it.

Regards
John

I don't know NY law but old black powder over 100 yrs old do not need an FFL to transfer and are considered antiques.
You would need nothing but a flat rate postal box to get that baby!

Well, I got the revolver from her. It is in my safe right now, woo hoo!. One problem though, the hammer is locked up. Does any body have or now where I can find a blow up view of this weapon. I think It might be something as simple as a spring. But, my antique revolver experience is pretty small. Basically non-existent.

As requested.
2372672218_f8916e9fa0.jpg

2371845535_85f5bd9a87.jpg

Back
Top Bottom