1911 45acp to 9mm Conversion kits

BW23

NES Member
Hey All,

Are there any good conversion kits to a 9mm for 1911's? I'm guessing the entire slide assembly will be replaced (and magazine). Where's the best source for this purchase? Is it even worth it?

My main reason is because I don't have $1200 to spend on a new 1911 9mm chamber.

-BW

just convert to 22 ... no, go all the way to airsoft gun.

I'm sorry for being a dick, but this is akin to asking advice on swedish penis reduction devices.

My advice, start reloading 45s, it's pretty painless. There is a reason people buy glorious 1911, is that they rock! Reducing this old soldier to some inferior caliber is a ****ing travesty. It's not worth it. If you want cheaper range time, point your finger into the mirror and go "pow pow". A 45 is a 45, there is no substitute.

You'll spend more time and money dicking around the conversion and making it work right. Just buy another 9mm gun.

Last edited:
Hey All,

Are there any good conversion kits to a 9mm for 1911's? I'm guessing the entire slide assembly will be replaced (and magazine). Where's the best source for this purchase? Is it even worth it?

My main reason is because I don't have $1200 to spend on a new 1911 9mm chamber.

-BW

You are screwed! Come see me and let's chat

1911 45s and 9mms use different feed ramps, this means different frames. To convert a 1911 45 frame to 9mm, I had to resort to a ramped barrel.

- - - Updated - - -

1911 45s and 9mms use different feed ramps, this means different frames. To convert a 1911 45 frame to 9mm, I had to resort to a ramped barrel.

I get this question a lot. There a good answers in this thread already. If it's economy, sell the .45 and a SW 9mm. If it's ease of training get a Marvel conversion. The Marvel is simple to change out in a 1911 and they are very accurate. You will also be using the same trigger group as your .45 1911 which is a plus. Many bullseye shooters use the is system and have had great results. There are other .22 conversions on the market, but the Marvel is the best made IMHO.

dah, i was afraid there was no good option. Ah well, now got to save up some serious cash for a Smith.

If you are looking for something in the form of a 1911 in 9mm, look at Star Model B, BM and others in 9mm. Some can be had via C&R. I own a few variants - they feel and operate like 1911 - the trigger group is different, on Star pistols the trigger pivots on a pin, so the pull is not as good as a true 1911. But it will fit the rest of what you are looking for. Star pistols run 3-600 bucks, some of the nazi contract ones are a fair bit more obviously.

Converting a 1911 in 45 to 9 is a loosing endevour. Having a 1911 built up in 9mm is more doable, but is still frought with problems and expensive.

You can't reason with a closed mind. For that kind of money you can shop a real single stack 9mm the HK P9s. Smith only makes one real HG the M29 .44,,,

Shop wisely and good luck.
..MJ..

i have the best solution. buy a couple 1911's. i have a government E-series TA, pro-series 9mm <its dope> , and the commander 4.25" in alloy. screw the $1200. hoping sig makes their scorpion compliant ill buy that too!

I get this question a lot. There a good answers in this thread already. If it's economy, sell the .45 and a SW 9mm. If it's ease of training get a Marvel conversion. The Marvel is simple to change out in a 1911 and they are very accurate. You will also be using the same trigger group as your .45 1911 which is a plus. Many bullseye shooters use the is system and have had great results. There are other .22 conversions on the market, but the Marvel is the best made IMHO.

I have had excellent luck with my Colt ACE kit, fwiw..Works equally well on my 45 and 38spr.

A different(-ish) way to go could also be a 38 super with a 9mm bbl. If the idea is a dual caliber 1911. But then again, still adding a new/ different frame.

I have had excellent luck with my Colt ACE kit, fwiw..Works equally well on my 45 and 38spr.

A different(-ish) way to go could also be a 38 super with a 9mm bbl. If the idea is a dual caliber 1911. But then again, still adding a new/ different frame.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look further into this. Possible contact Greg Derr too.

just convert to 22 ... no, go all the way to airsoft gun.

I'm sorry for being a dick, but this is akin to asking advice on swedish penis reduction devices.

My advice, start reloading 45s, it's pretty painless. There is a reason people buy glorious 1911, is that they rock! Reducing this old soldier to some inferior caliber is a ****ing travesty. It's not worth it. If you want cheaper range time, point your finger into the mirror and go "pow pow". A 45 is a 45, there is no substitute.

You'll spend more time and money dicking around the conversion and making it work right. Just buy another 9mm gun.
That isn't correct at all. They sell kits and the reason someone would want to shoot 9mm as well as the 45 is to be able to use different ammo in the same gun. I have converted many guns for people with 1911. Even just using a Taurus commander 9mm barrel and a 1911 9mm Taurus magazine and that's it! Not special crap and it only cost 155.00 plus my time. No one asked if the 1911 was worthy we all know it is! What a weirdo

That isn't correct at all. They sell kits and the reason someone would want to shoot 9mm as well as the 45 is to be able to use different ammo in the same gun. I have converted many guns for people with 1911. Even just using a Taurus commander 9mm barrel and a 1911 9mm Taurus magazine and that's it! Not special crap and it only cost 155.00 plus my time. No one asked if the 1911 was worthy we all know it is! What a weirdo

You talking a standard uncut GI frame, or a frame cut for a Wilson/Nowlin, or Clark/Para ramped barrel?

Back
Top Bottom