• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Friend of mine uses one. Got a chance to see it in action last time we were out camping. Its a great little lightweight stove. Best part is it doesn't require you buy fuel for it. Use twigs or sticks to keep it going. Very low smoke output too. Its on the list of things to have for my go bag.

I bought one but haven't had a chance to use it yet (no winter camping). Looking forward to giving it a try though.

My friend got one. It is literally the dumbest and most useless thing I've ever seen.

Know where else you can burn wood? On the damn ground! You don't need to spend your hard earned cash on a hunk of metal to put your wood in. Burn the damn wood on the ground.

Anyone who buys one probably also owns a pet rock.

Not really sure why a stove is needed for camping unless you need even heat to cook pancakes or crepes.

When I'd go camping in boys scouts we would take our meat and wrap it in foil with the veggies we had (any seasoning if you had it) and seal the foil by rolling all the ends then bury if in the hot coals of the fire for about 10 minutes as it all steamed up in the pouch.

If you want to cook on a stove/grill like surface I would just say get something on legs you literally just stand over the fire to put your pots/pans/foods on.

I understand your point, which is great for scout camping. However, I am looking for something that I can boil water, cook, (single serving) on without starting up a large campfire. Something that is small, lightweight, portable, easy to set up, and can easily fit into a mid-size backpack (kind of like a Bug-Out-Bag (BOB)). [grin]

You are already setting up the wood. Just leave the wood on the ground. There are a ton of ways to boil water over that same amount of wood on the ground. You don't have to spend any money or put anything more in your pack.

You will still be having to start up the campfire. Its just that it will be contained in this hunk of metal that you shelled out money for and have to pack covered in soot in your backpack for no reason.

Perhaps it allows air to flow better, holds a pot, and makes use of fuel more efficient than just putting on the ground? Just guessing, as I haven't actually tried it yet to confirm.

But I agree you wouldn't want to fold it up and put it into a backpack after using it. That would be filthy, and it is somewhat annoying to assemble it properly. My intent with it wasn't backpacking; I have a butane/propane hiking stove for that (and it works great). For some reason, I actually find it entertaining to see how efficient it is possible to be when cooking and other activities.

Airflow control is it, think woodstove vs fireplace. Long tradition of 'hobo' stoves made out of cans. Google will find instructions for building versions out of old cans so you can go cheap or test the theory out for free. There are versions made with battery powered fans that are claimed to get fantastic heat out of less then ideal wood. Not a scam, nothing new, how much value they have is a personal decision.

It's definitely mot "needed."

If, however, you want one...get one. Try it out. Maybe it will work for you. After you get ir, try it out, and post the time it takes to boil a quart of water. Measure the air or water temp, and start the clock. Set up the stove, and gather the wood. Maybe this will be a lot more efficient in time and fuel. Maybe a bit.

Like any BoB preps.....practice before you need it.

I understand your point, which is great for scout camping. However, I am looking for something that I can boil water, cook, (single serving) on without starting up a large campfire. Something that is small, lightweight, portable, easy to set up, and can easily fit into a mid-size backpack (kind of like a Bug-Out-Bag (BOB)). [grin]
The most popular choices for lightweight boiling water are:

JetBoil - if you don't mind canisters. Super light, hot, fast, developed locally.

MSR Whisperlite - will run on canisters or liquid fuels.

Coleman - durable dual fuel stove that isn't quite as light and compact.

A lot of backpackers are becoming "Weight weenies" like bicyclists. In the meanime I used a Coleman Peak One regularly for 25 years, then rebuilt it for $12.

Looks wicked cheap you could do the same thing with a cheese grater lol. My advice would be to make your own buy some thick steel or aluminum cut notches in the sides that allow them to lock into each other with a 90 degree saw with metal disks or a grinder you'll save money and have a more durable essentially the same thing.

Looks wicked cheap you could do the same thing with a cheese grater lol. My advice would be to make your own buy some thick steel or aluminum cut notches in the sides that allow them to lock into each other with a 90 degree saw with metal disks or a grinder you'll save money and have a more durable essentially the same thing.

Yup, I was going to say if you want one, it looks like you could build it for about 10 bucks in materials and using some basic tools. Would never pay the price they're asking in the OP.

Back
Top Bottom