• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

bought a "preban" AR15 turned out to be post ban

Originally Posted by livinlawatertown:

The rifle does not have any preban features

Scriv, this is his reply I was referring to.

He originally said it was "preban" and then said:

I was told the gun was all original, but who knows at this point in time.

Claiming a "preban" gun can be "all original" with NO preban features fails even the barest analysis. [rolleyes]

In short, there was ZERO objective evidence of the gun being as advertised and it took the OP 3 posts to admit that fact.

What a waste of everyone's time.

Scriv,

A LOT of people are confused by the AWB.

A LOT of people think that as long as the lower (even stripped) was made prior to a "magic date", that the resultant gun made from said lower is always
"pre-ban" and can be made as one pleases.

On the AR15 eList and AR15.com forum a lot of time was spent explaining this to folks.

We're now getting a lot of folks that weren't into guns back in 1994 and we have to go thru the whole "explanation thing" over again. That's why we're here . . . however it WOULD HELP if the OPs posted all the facts of their case the first time!

. . . however it WOULD HELP if the OPs posted all the facts of their case the first time!

Precisely. Garbage In; Garbage Out.

And the fact that a supposedly "preban" gun lacked ANY features thereof was a glaringly obvious indication that it wasn't. Caveat emptor.

Last edited:
Joe,
I might be mistaken but unless it was a perminently mounted flash hider, a flash hider alone on a preban rifle would still make it a Preban configuration.
Correct me if i'm wrong.
Gary

I posted this yesterday at my first day of 1st shift - after 10+ years of 2nd shift - I could be wrong and was going off of the top of my head. Let me look to see what I can find to add to this. Colt did wierd things around that time...

Seems to be so, at least as far as the Erronet can confirm. Oh well, I still would check any Colt in this configuration to make sure. ( I know, slight hijack - sorry! :( )

Joe R.

Last edited:
Because of the screwey way that the original federal ban was done, there's a lot of room for legitimate confusion as to what the original configuration of a pre-ban "assault weapon" might be. There never was any requirement for a gun to have been sold by the manufacturer in a pre-ban configuration in order to meet the criteria, but only that it had to have existed in such a configuration prior to the witching hour. As a result, while there were a lot of firearms (i.e., lower receivers) configured in such configurations prior to the deadline, there's no guarantee that they were shipped from the manufacturer and sold as pre-ban AWs. How many were? I don't realy know. Does the fact that an AR-15 was originally sold in a PC configuration mean that it can't be a pre-ban AW? Nor necessarily. IOW, there's plenty of room for reasonable confusion by a purchaser/owner on this question.

Ken

Not to throw gas on the fire, but isn't this all confused more by the fact that the whole "built into a ban configuration before the magic date" was a ATF opinion, and now that the Federal ban is gone, this is now up to state interpretation?

--EasyD

He originally said it was "preban" and then said:

Claiming a "preban" gun can be "all original" with NO preban features fails even the barest analysis. [rolleyes]

In short, there was ZERO objective evidence of the gun being as advertised and it took the OP 3 posts to admit that fact.

What a waste of everyone's time.

The only waste around here is the waste of space your piss poor attitude takes up on this server. People post on this forum to discuss firearms and related topics, ask questions and get opinions, and socialize with people who share their passions. They don't log in here to be berated by a jackass with a keyboard and poor self esteem, who has nothing better to do than insult honest people with legitimate questions. Frankly I think you're a detriment to this board, and if ever said half the things your write on this forum to people's faces, you'd likely end up getting punched in the nose.

As far as this thread is concerned, if you'd actually read my original post, you'd realize that I'm NOT asking if the gun is preban. I KNOW it's preban, as I said in the OP, and I know that I should have confirmed this before I bought the rifle. That's NOT what I was asking. I was asking for opinions as to what I should do, after the fact. And if you don't have anything constructive to add to the thread, than keep your fingers off the keyboard!

As far as this thread is concerned, if you'd actually read my original post, you'd realize that I'm NOT asking if the gun is preban. I KNOW it's preban, as I said in the OP, and I know that I should have confirmed this before I bought the rifle.

Someone needs a reality check. Here's what your origninal post said:

Well, I bought the gun, and a couple days later I was shopping on the 'net for a stock, and I figured I'd check the serial number, just in case. Turns out the gun is definitely post ban.

After all these posts and your little tantrum, you still can't get your story straight. Perhaps it's you who should "keep your fingers off the keyboard!" [rolleyes]

OK folks, let's all act like gentlemen and skip the insults!

Stay to the topic and facts (or alleged facts).

Thanks!

If you like the gun;

1 - you paid too much for an old post ban gun
2 - give the shop the chance to make good on this
3 - if not, you should have some legal recourse (which the shop owner surely would not want you taking) with the AG's office as far as being sold an item that was clearly miss represented.

If you desire a "Pre-Ban";

1 - return it (again, paid too much for an old post ban gun)
2 - live and learn. you were lucky and know know to do your homework before you buy. we all make these mistakes from time to time. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom