• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA Courts - Disposition Codes

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
"Decoding" court dispositions from MA courts (and I'm sure other states as well) can be a challenge. The MA Court System created the attached list on 3/1/2000 and it is buried on their website.

Here it is so that after you get a copy of your Court Docket Sheet from EACH and EVERY case where you showed up in court, you can figure out what it really means and be prepared to disclose it on your LTC Application so that you don't get denied for perjury and threatened with criminal charges for filling out the application incorrectly.

I will ask Derek to make this a Sticky, and hope that a few folks so affected will bother to look here before asking "what does this mean".

Attachments

• MA Courts - Disposition Codes 030100.pdf
    146 KB · Views: 378
The codes aren't the end all be all of reading a CORI though.

For instance, a guilty plea is not always tagged with G, but could be deduced from having a period of PROB w/ a FINE and/or REST. After which, you will see DISM but that doesn't mean the charges were dismissed, only the PROB was dismissed, but PROB is not in the same entry. You have to read CORI's linearly and realize that subsequent lines modify some, but not all, previous lines and DISM doesn't always mean charges were DISM.

But the above should get you a long way to figuring out what your CORI is saying.

Terra, I wouldn't waste my time with CORIs!! They are limited on what they show where a BOP and III is NOT limited and shows everything. [Allegedly CORI reports have a "legend key" that identifies the terms used on them.]

The Disposition Codes I posted should reflect what is shown on the actual Court Docket, which is the only document that I recommend that people who have been "in the system" obtain before proceeding with applying for any gun permit.

I am lost Len. Court dockets have disposition check boxes so codes aren't needed for all of those things. IIRC the codes are used when inputting into CORI/III/BOP/etc and digitizing the individual docket entries; Now, I am not saying dockets don't have this info, but it's the same info that makes up CORIs too. The codes are also the same and the source of the info is similar if not the same. Though I also agree that CORIs are notoriously inaccurate.

The court docket sheets that I've looked at (those that I've been paid to research) all had hand-scribbled dispositions on them. If there were check boxes they didn't seen to have been used. I will warn you that some of the records I was paid to research went back into the 1980s and early 1990s, so the forms may have been "cleaned up" since then.

And I'm not saying that the codes on the CORI might be different (although I can understand typos happen), just that events may not show up on a CORI but definitely will on a BOP or III.

What motivated this thread was a PM from someone asking me the difference between 2 codes (CWOF and DISM) and I decided to post up the list of codes (as many posting here on NES aren't conversant in them) for all to be able to find when or if needed. [I noted of interest that ASF is NOT amongst them even though most LEOs will swear that every CWOF has to have ASF associated with it!]

Interesting debate here.

Let me start by saying I was the one who PMed Len about my CORI. My question was not so much directed at decyphering the dispostion codes, but trying to establish if a clear distinction could be made from those codes. More specifically a CWOF and DISM. My CORI contains 4 charges from 4 seperate events dating back to 1993 that all are listed as "Non-Convictions", but they also read DISM with no mention of a CWOF. Final dispostion 1 reads, "Pre-trial Probation - Dismissed", dispostion 2 reads "Pre-trial Probation -10 hrs Community Service - Restitution - Dismissed", dispostion 3 shows,"Restitution Paid - Dismissed", and the final charge just reads "Dismissed". As I understand it, a dismissal is a much more fortuitus judgement than a CWOF and these cases were so long ago I can't quite remember the specifics. I would think if the the final judgement involved a CWOF it would be listed?

...and FWIW, My CORI did not have a Legend Key.

Last edited:
You didn't need to out yourself. It's just a good idea to post the court approved nomenclature up here.

My search of the state website found a PDF that CLAIMED that every CORI had a Legend Key. So much for state claims!

First, all cwofs are eventually dismissed or alternatively charged if you violate pre trial probation. Your first three charges appear to be pre trial diversions. Cwofs are pre trial diversions. Cwofs are continuances where the charges are later dismissed. The continuance provides time for some form of probation, whether supervised or not. I suspect the first three are cwofs but they don't have to be I suppose, but I am not sure there is a distinction to be made here. The fourth is likely one too given the history but it could be a straight dismissal too. The docket would show a continuance but I don't know what this new cori shows. I have only seen two icori reports (a bunch of older ones for sure) and frankly haven't seen enough of the new ones to catch patterns. Its reasonable to think the continuance is not shown, just the dismissal, the latter of which is a disposition. The continuance is not a disposition. It's an intermediate step towards disposition.

Any pre trial diversion will be seen the same IMHO.

- - - Updated - - -

You didn't need to out yourself. It's just a good idea to post the court approved nomenclature up here.

My search of the state website found a PDF that CLAIMED that every CORI had a Legend Key. So much for state claims!

Same here. I have heard the claims but never saw the key without independent searching

I know folks here heavily advocate for obtaining the actual docket sheets, so I contacted one of the courthouses where my case was heard. I told the clerk that I would like everything and anything available from my case. She informed me that all they would have would be the docket sheet(s) which would show charge(s), court dates(s) and final dispostion(s). My thoughts are that the docket sheets will not provide me anymore info than is already contained in my CORI.

Terra, I wouldn't waste my time with CORIs!! They are limited on what they show where a BOP and III is NOT limited and shows everything.

Len, can you elaborate here? I'm assuming a docket sheet it's just a summary of the info revealed on my CORI and the BOP/III would read the same as the orginal docket sheet is the ultimate source.

Other way around.

Some info after x years is dropped from CORI.

Nothing is EVER dropped from BOP/III!!

To get into the CORI report, someone had to type it in from the Docket Sheet, so errors in the CORI could occur and if you write down info from CORI and it does not match what's on the Docket Sheet you could be accused of lying.

When the PD questions what comes up on the BOP/III, guess what they order from the court? . . . the Docket Sheet! So if you have it upfront and present it with your application, you have helped them do their job and perhaps sped up your application process, while showing that you are being upfront and honest with them . . . which never hurts and might help in some cases.

To get into the CORI report, someone had to type it in from the Docket Sheet, so errors in the CORI could occur and if you write down info from CORI and it does not match what's on the Docket Sheet you could be accused of lying.

I understand the logic that if your CORI contains errors/omissions, you'll need to obtain proof of this....but if your CORI is accurate(which in my case it appears to be), what purpose would chasing down the docket sheet serve?

When the PD questions what comes up on the BOP/III, guess what they order from the court? . . . the Docket Sheet!

What could they be questioning? The facts are the facts, as far as they are concerned, no? The PD would have no clue if there were some erroneous charges/verdicts on someone's BOP. Is the docket sheet going provide a police report or a sworn statement of some sort?

In the interest of full disclosure, I did submit a copy of my CORI with my application. I would think that including the docket sheets also, would be redundant. Am I wrong?[hmmm]

I'm going to try one more time . . .

There are "statutory disqualifiers" where even your best friend chief isn't going to be able to give you a LTC (or perhaps an FID). Those become almost crystal clear when they run the BOP/III (assuming no errors were created in typing in the info off the hand-written Docket Sheets).

THEN there is "suitability" where the chief/LO looks at the Docket Sheets to see what each charge was, what transpired during the case as well as the final resolution and makes a SUBJECTIVE decision whether the person is responsible and trustworthy enough (in the eyes of the LO/chief) to handle firearms or carry them.

Having been very good friends with my first chief and worked for 3 chiefs over the years, I have some idea how they think and do things. I've participated in LE only forums (some national, some local) since ~1990 and read many a discussion that has hinged pretty much on perception of suitability. That is the background from which I give the advice that I did above.

My thoughts are that the docket sheets will not provide me anymore info than is already contained in my CORI.

As len points out, they are the authoritative record of what happened and the docket sheet is important in that it is the only real record of your conviction. If there is a discrepancy, that is the authoritative record. It will also have all of the information, especially for older records. If you disagree with your CORI, you then dig into the court records.

Now, Len is not wrong on CORIs but they are a necessary and proper starting place for inquiries into one's background. Unless anyone digs, the CORI will have the same information as the chief will.

This is a timely thread. My son ran into this in another state when he applied for his CCW. It was denied because the NCIC record was different than the Court Docket Sheet. The Docket Sheet showed DISM, but the NCIC didn't. He was able to get it straightened out and got his CCW, but if also explained his "delayed" when a FFL ran a NICS check.

The moral of the story is keep the Court Docket Sheet in a safe place just as you would any other important document. If you lose it, you will have to go to the clerk's office in the court where the case was handled in person. A real bummer if you've moved to another part of the state.

Once this stuff is in the system, it's there forever.

One big thing I learned with the issue I was tied up in is if you have a basic cori check done if you was placed on a c.w.o.f then dismissal your charges will just say dismissed.Which leads people to believe they were never c.w.o.f they were just dismissed.There is no final deposition of c.w.o.f and ONLY way to see if you was indeed charged and was given a c.w.o.f is by getting your court docket and it will be in a bold line text saying you was given a c.w.o.f on such and such charges.But just cause the deposition on the charges say dismissed look further into it and don't just assume when filling out your firearms App.

Read up on the 4 levels of CORI access at: http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/icori-policy-trainings-organizations.pdf

Do you know if an individual making a request gets to see the restricted LE portion of the CORI?

According to this, a personal request will not return any sealed or juvenile offenses...

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/dcjis/summary-of-levels-of-cori-access-with-requestor-types.html

Which is kind of strange since one can obtain information on juvenile offense here...

http://www.mass.gov/courts/docs/probation/juv-rec-req.pdf

Until recently, and I think after that last post I made, COPs couldn't see juvenile and sealed information either.

That changed a number of months ago now. Instead of the state opening the record and giving a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down", the PD can now access the records directly.

Back
Top Bottom