NY AWB and Post Ban ARs/AKs

ToddDubya

NES Member
For starters, let's talk about "regular" NYS, not the special areas like NYC, etc. With that in mind...

A friend of mine is a member at a range in NY minutes from my house with a 200 yd rifle range and has invited me to go shooting with him. Before I commit a felony, I'm trying to get a solid answer on their laws.

The simple answer is that the NY AWB is roughly the same as in MA. The one place I find it deviates is here:

22. "Assault weapon" means <snip> [all the same stuff we have in MA, or at least very close] or (d) any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known as:

(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models):
(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);
(iv) Colt AR-15;
(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;
(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;
(vii) Steyr AUG;
(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and
(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

From what I've found on forums around the net on various vendor sites (S&W, etc) and forums, you can own a post ban AR/AK as long as it has fewer than two evil features, but Article 265 Section 22 seems to disagree. Does anyone here have any additional information on this? If this is just a "Yeah technically, but nobody really cares" situation, I'm not chancing it.

As long as your AR does not say " Colt AR-15" you are OK.

Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Techs must be preban, if they are post ban they are banned by name in NY.

As long as your AR does not say " Colt AR-15" you are OK.

Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Techs must be preban, if they are post ban they are banned by name in NY.

This sounds like lore to me. If they wanted to jam you up, couldn't they call any brand a copy or duplicate? I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just having trouble with the vagueness of the law.

Back
Top Bottom