MA Gun Laws

It’s time, I need to start giving my guns away. Not straw purchasing but existing inventory. What do I legally do to give family and friends my guns? As gifts

It’s time, I need to start giving my guns away. Not straw purchasing but existing inventory. What do I legally do to give family and friends my guns? As gifts
Standard transfer. From a legal standpoint, giving guns away is no different than selling them.

If they are in MA and have an LTC, then do an EFA-10.

If they are not in MA, then you'll need to get an FFL involved. If the guns in questions are pistols, you will need an ffl in their state of residence.

Brad I don’t think so. But my daughter promised to give the ones I love to her first son, when she has one. I hope she’s not lying. I spent years collecting real valuable ones. At least in my eyes. Svd, 550, Tigre, g43 and etc… I’ve spent a shot ton of cash this past year getting them all inspected and updated.

Standard transfer. From a legal standpoint, giving guns away is no different than selling them.

If they are in MA and have an LTC, then do an EFA-10.

If they are not in MA, then you'll need to get an FFL involved. If the guns in questions are pistols, you will need an ffl in their state of residence.
Not just pistols - frames as well, since they are not rifles or shotguns. An administrative law change by creative changes made to the 4473 years ago.
You can only do 4 private sales per year in MA. More than that and you’ll need to use an FFL for in state transfers.
More precisely, a MA licensed firearms dealer. FFL does not meet the requirement, and also does not trigger the exemption from possession of AW banned guns or > 10 round magazines.

So no problems transferring my akms? I’d like to give one to my niece in Connecticut? I live in Massachusetts and have a ltc class a high cap
I'm unfamiliar with CT laws, but I do know they have a recently passed a very restrictive assault weapons ban law. So you'll need to check on whether your neice could possess the akm. It would not surprise me at all if that is a complete no-go due to CT laws.

Last edited:
While in the Army I saw horrible things, to think that stuff would only stay overseas is just lying to yourselves. I hope you guys and ladies have an idea of how bad it can get here. I just want my family lineage to always survive. My sisters and brothers children also. IM THAT UNCLE. Or to a lesser degree used to be that uncle. Thanks for the info. Be safe, and don’t compromise your morals, death is temporary but shame makes you wish for the end. Be of good courage. Give your kids the skills needed to survive

While in the Army I saw horrible things, to think that stuff would only stay overseas is just lying to yourselves. I hope you guys and ladies have an idea of how bad it can get here. I just want my family lineage to always survive. My sisters and brothers children also. IM THAT UNCLE. Or to a lesser degree used to be that uncle. Thanks for the info. Be safe, and don’t compromise your morals, death is temporary but shame makes you wish for the end. Be of good courage. Give your kids the skills needed to survive
thank you for your service, and good luck on your journey, it's thoughtful of you to try to ensure the best for your family

I'd like to be your friend, and up here in NH all you need to do is hand them to me. [devil]

But seriously, thanks for your service.

I'm unfamiliar with CT laws, but I do know they have a recently passed a very restrictive assault weapons ban law. So you'll need to check on whether your neice could possess the akm. It would not surprise me at all if that is a complete no-go due to CT laws.

X2 on this. Not allowed in CT, but there may be a carve out for inheritance. I have no idea what the rules are though.

Back
Top Bottom