18” AR barrel w/ mid Length Gas System?

Looking at the LaRue barrel offerings and I am seeing that their 18” stealth barrel has a mid length gas system.

Would that offer any advantage over the same barrel in 16”, also w/ a mid length has? Am I correct in thinking that the velocity would be about the same since the gas starts bleeding off at the same point?

Their stealth is heavier than the predatAR. All you get out the 2” of barrel is velocity. I also think it looks cooler but thats just my taste.

From my research from looking at charts about muzzle length to velocity it seems only going up or down 2" or so doesn't make the biggest deal. Although, I would say it is worth noting the increase. I think the increase in length would definitely help the velocity and over all shooting experience, with the obvious cost of having a longer barrel for movement and stuff.

I have fired a midlength 14.5" and a midlength gas system 16" and the 16" definitely felt smoother. granted there was a muzzle brake on the 14.5" but I'm sure an 18" with a midlength gas system would be very smooth shooter.

Usually an 18 is a rifle gas system. Sure they shoot a little softer but in 5.56 its like getting hit with a dry ball of toilet paper versus a sock - I guess the sock hits harder but who cares.

IMO if its for shouldering and general purpose ammo, 14.5 pinned/welded or 16 inch is the way to go. There is some talk I have seen indicating a 14.5 inch barrel isn't optimal for heavier rounds like 65+ grain, don't know if its correct, but a 16 inch 5.56 is as long as they ever need to be IMO until you get to a dedicated bench rifle.

The difference is like 100 ft per second on the top end. For me off my shoulder that extra 2 inches results in my shooting taking a dive due to the front heavy rifle.

Usually an 18 is a rifle gas system. Sure they shoot a little softer but in 5.56 its like getting hit with a dry ball of toilet paper versus a sock - I guess the sock hits harder but who cares.

IMO if its for shouldering and general purpose ammo, 14.5 pinned/welded or 16 inch is the way to go. There is some talk I have seen indicating a 14.5 inch barrel isn't optimal for heavier rounds like 65+ grain, don't know if its correct, but a 16 inch 5.56 is as long as they ever need to be IMO until you get to a dedicated bench rifle.

The difference is like 100 ft per second on the top end. For me off my shoulder that extra 2 inches results in my shooting taking a dive due to the front heavy rifle.
I agree that shorter is better than longer. Especially in a place like mass where a pin + weld is expected, might as well try and go 14.5". If op really wants an upper tho and its in stock then I don't think buying an 18" would be crazy.

Good point on the weight of the 18”. And it is not like an extra 100 FPS will do anything for me in MA, maybe if I lived out west it would matter more.

Good point on the weight of the 18”. And it is not like an extra 100 FPS will do anything for me in MA, maybe if I lived out west it would matter more.

Really doesn't matter anywhere. Its a round that starts close to 3000 - that 80 fps is a hair of a change for what is really a short range round to start (500 yards sure, 1000 no). A pistol caliber oh yeah thats like 10%

Different strokes for different folks but IMO there's not a good reason to own an 18 inch 5.56 rifle. Either go up to a 20 or something off a rest (which a 16 can still do nearly as well) or stick with the simple minimum non NFA 16 inch.

Would be kinda interested in hearing others thoughts on if there is a drawback to the 14.5s too. Read things but question them as it seems even that should be sufficient.

When I have gone down to 14.5 they are light barrels setup for closer range so never really tested this but have a faxon integral medium weight 14.5 on order that will show up some day.

Back
Top Bottom