Tips on Applying for LTC-Important Info

Great to join on here after lurking for a while—the amount of info on here is incredible!
After searching through the forums I decided to revive this thread—my apologies if it is the wrong place.

I’m in the process of obtaining my LTC, however the app was held as Hunters Education would not be allowed and I needed a separate course. The reasoning was MA 515 CMR 3.05 as a reference, not a town bylaw or requirement.

If I need to do the additional course, that’s fine, but if not how do I address this in a way that does not raise an issue?
Here's the section of the Mass General Laws that governs this:

Section 131P: Basic firearms safety certificate; instructors; public service announcements​

Section 131P. (a) Any person making application for the issuance of a firearms identification card under section 129B, a license to carry firearms under section 131 or 131F or a permit to purchase under section 131A who was not licensed under the provisions of this chapter on June 1, 1998 shall, in addition to the requirements set forth in said section 129B, 131, 131A or 131F, submit to the licensing authority a basic firearms safety certificate; provided, however, that a certificate issued by the division of law enforcement in the department of fisheries, wildlife and environmental law enforcement pursuant to the provisions of section 14 of chapter 131 evidencing satisfactory completion of a hunter education course shall serve as a valid substitute for a basic firearms safety certificate required under this section.

Please let us know what town/city is breaking the law. It may not help you, personally, as the Licensing Authority should know the laws that govern their actions, and they just don't care, as there's no penalty, but it may help others.

The only issue is to whether your HE cert is from Mass, or out of state.

Welcome, and good luck.
ETA: Looking at the CMR you listed, the Mass Hunter Ed Instructor cert is acceptable for issuance of a MSP Instructor cert. Cool.
3.04: Firearms Safety Instructors Certification (1) Requirements. For certification as a firearms safety instructor, a person shall be properly licensed with a FID card or LTC as required by law, and may only offer instructions on those firearms for which he or she is licensed. In addition BFS instructors shall provide documentation to verify status as at least one of the following: (a) a firearms instructor of the NRA, or other nationally recognized organization that teaches firearms safety, or a firearms instructor certified by such organization; (b) a federal, state or municipal law enforcement firearms instructor; (c) a United States military firearms instructor; (d) an OLE basic hunter education instructor;

Last edited:
Here's the section of the Mass General Laws that governs this:

Section 131P: Basic firearms safety certificate; instructors; public service announcements​

Section 131P. (a) Any person making application for the issuance of a firearms identification card under section 129B, a license to carry firearms under section 131 or 131F or a permit to purchase under section 131A who was not licensed under the provisions of this chapter on June 1, 1998 shall, in addition to the requirements set forth in said section 129B, 131, 131A or 131F, submit to the licensing authority a basic firearms safety certificate; provided, however, that a certificate issued by the division of law enforcement in the department of fisheries, wildlife and environmental law enforcement pursuant to the provisions of section 14 of chapter 131 evidencing satisfactory completion of a hunter education course shall serve as a valid substitute for a basic firearms safety certificate required under this section.

Please let us know what town/city is breaking the law. It may not help you, personally, as the Licensing Authority should know the laws that govern their actions, and they just don't care, as there's no penalty, but it may help others.

The only issue is to whether your HE cert is from Mass, or out of state.

Welcome, and good luck.
ETA: Looking at the CMR you listed, the Mass Hunter Ed Instructor cert is acceptable for issuance of a MSP Instructor cert. Cool.
3.04: Firearms Safety Instructors Certification (1) Requirements. For certification as a firearms safety instructor, a person shall be properly licensed with a FID card or LTC as required by law, and may only offer instructions on those firearms for which he or she is licensed. In addition BFS instructors shall provide documentation to verify status as at least one of the following: (a) a firearms instructor of the NRA, or other nationally recognized organization that teaches firearms safety, or a firearms instructor certified by such organization; (b) a federal, state or municipal law enforcement firearms instructor; (c) a United States military firearms instructor; (d) an OLE basic hunter education instructor;
This is for Dracut. Looking at what he sent to me I did go through 131 and saw this—very confused!

My hunters Ed was in MA and completed with my son. He will be doing his FID closer to his 15th birthday this year.

Last edited:
This is for Dracut. Looking at what he sent to me I did go through 131 and saw this—very confused!

My hunters Ed was in MA and completed with my son. He will be doing his FID closer to his 15th birthday this year.
The reality of LTC / FID licensing in Mass is that many localities can, and do impose extra-legal requirements, because they can.

The FID should also be issued on the strength of the HE cert. Also, make sure that your son is charged $25, not $100, for the FID

My younger son was presented with the $100 charge when he applied, but he'd been an NRA instructor for 2 years at that point, and had a printout of the above cite.

So, you can point out to the PD that they're in violation of MGLs. They will either say, "Mea culpa," and do the right thing, or not.
If not, you can either go the lawyer route, or take an "acceptable" class.

Welcome to DPRM fun!

The reality of LTC / FID licensing in Mass is that many localities can, and do impose extra-legal requirements, because they can.

The FID should also be issued on the strength of the HE cert. Also, make sure that your son is charged $25, not $100, for the FID

My younger son was presented with the $100 charge when he applied, but he'd been an NRA instructor for 2 years at that point, and had a printout of the above cite.

So, you can point out to the PD that they're in violation of MGLs. They will either say, "Mea culpa," and do the right thing, or not.
If not, you can either go the lawyer route, or take an "acceptable" class.

Welcome to DPRM fun!
Thanks, everyone. I’ll send a final email tomorrow and then post back the response. At the end of the day, more education and supporting a local business isn’t a bad thing.

still with the Quincy PD waiting for background checks so it hasn't even gotten to the state for approval yet
Wait, is it the PD who does the checks, or the state? If the PD, then what is it that the state does beyond that? Too many layers, too much bureaucracy, too long a wait. For what? To keep good guys in check? The bad guys don't do ANY of this stuff, do they?

Well, looks like the additional firearms class is needed. They wanted further proof of experience with handguns. At this point I’m not going to give a play by play of when I’ve been to the ranges with friends etc and just take the class. Basically, it looks like personal discretion of the application. The irony is the town where I work said I would be all set.

Wait, is it the PD who does the checks, or the state? If the PD, then what is it that the state does beyond that? Too many layers, too much bureaucracy, too long a wait. For what? To keep good guys in check? The bad guys don't do ANY of this stuff, do they?

I'm not sure who does what, all I know is when I called the hotline that was provided by another member here I was told my application was still with the Quincy PD for background checks to be done and wasn't provided any additional information. I did end up getting my LTC A a few weeks later thankfully. I was fingerprinted in Aug and received it in the mail in November. I was afraid it would be a nine month wait :rolleyes:

Anyone know how long Mass has to schedule your in person interview by law? I can seem to find that.
Forever . . .

There is no law (that is enforced in any way) dictating processing of LTCs. There is no penalty for a PD or FRB taking any length of time.

Forever . . .

There is no law (that is enforced in any way) dictating processing of LTCs. There is no penalty for a PD or FRB taking any length of time.
And if there was a penalty it would never be applied, making it a distinction without a difference (or is is a difference without a distinction?)

The Katrina anti-confiscation bill was all but a fait accompli but was killed in the legislative backroom because police objected to the law including penalties on police who violated that law.

Anyone know how long Mass has to schedule your in person interview by law? I can seem to find that.
For out of state I applied mid Sept 2022. I just did pics and prints TODAY. Was told to expect 6-8 weeks before I saw anything in the mail.

That’s coming in right around the 9 month mark.
The young lady who did prints and pic claimed they were still behind because of COVID.

This whole thing could have been done by mail. Employers have fingerprint services collect and submit prints electronically. Passports photos are easy. Drop it all in the mail. That would be too easy.

And why they don’t offer a multi year is beyond me. Instead of charging 100 a year every year let me pay 400 and I’ll come in after 4 years for a new pic. Just more unnecessary work load for people who sounds like they have enough already.

For out of state I applied mid Sept 2022. I just did pics and prints TODAY. Was told to expect 6-8 weeks before I saw anything in the mail.

That’s coming in right around the 9 month mark.
The young lady who did prints and pic claimed they were still behind because of COVID.

This whole thing could have been done by mail. Employers have fingerprint services collect and submit prints electronically. Passports photos are easy. Drop it all in the mail. That would be too easy.

And why they don’t offer a multi year is beyond me. Instead of charging 100 a year every year let me pay 400 and I’ll come in after 4 years for a new pic. Just more unnecessary work load for people who sounds like they have enough already.
Covid is just a b.s. excuse for any and all typical MA gov't. incompetence!
Next year, I believe, you just have to send a check in, no in person visit necessary.
What really should happen is none of us should have to pay for this God given right.
We don't have to pay to exercise any of our other rights, so why this one? I know, it's ASSachusetts and GUNZZzzzz!

My local PD is requiring the state form be filled out for renewals (currently unrestricted Class A).

I will check off "Unrestricted. Are we putting anything in the blank lines for "reason(s) for requesting the issuance of a card or license:? If so, what are we putting. Would it be "wrong" to simply put "Renewal"?

This section:

Reason(s) for requesting the issuance of a card or license:
 Unrestricted  Target & Hunting  Sporting  Employment
Use lines below to indicate the reason(s) you are requesting the license; use a separate sheet of paper if necessary)

Last edited:
My local PD is requiring the state form be filled out for renewals (currently unrestricted Class A).

I will check off "Unrestricted. Are we putting anything in the blank lines for "reason(s) for requesting the issuance of a card or license:? If so, what are we putting. Would it be "wrong" to simply put "Renewal"?

This section:

Reason(s) for requesting the issuance of a card or license:
 Unrestricted  Target & Hunting  Sporting  Employment
Use lines below to indicate the reason(s) you are requesting the license; use a separate sheet of paper if necessary)
All Lawful Purposes

Back
Top Bottom