• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tips on Applying for LTC-Important Info

Scrivener

Banned
"Caselaw TIME AND AGAIN has ruled that, becasue [sic] MGL NO WHERE specifies ANY restrictions that can STOP a CLASS-A holder from CARRYING CONCEALED, that said "restrictions" are absolutetly [sic] frivolous..."

What utter drivel. Your "TIME AND TIME AGAIN" consists of ONE (1) case; a mere district court decision. That single decision has been NEGATED by the new LTCs, which have borne the language "RESTRICTION(S)" instead of "Reason For Issuance since at least July.

Here's the statute - AGAIN:

"(a) A Class A license shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry: (i) firearms, including large capacity firearms, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper; and (ii) rifles and shotguns, including large capacity weapons, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes; provided, however, that the licensing authority may impose such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of large capacity rifles and shotguns as it deems proper. A violation of a restriction imposed by the licensing authority under the provisions of this paragraph shall be cause for suspension or revocation and shall, unless otherwise provided, be punished by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000; provided, however, that the provisions of section 10 of chapter 269 shall not apply to such violation"

For those who STILL missed it:

" subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper"

Got that? "As the licensing authority deems proper." Grasp the concept...... [roll]

Last edited:
This was in The Outdoor Message some time back. It obviously needs to be run again:

TIPS ON SUBMITTING FIREARMS LICENSE APPLICATIONS

Applying for, or even renewing, a firearms license, whether for an Firearms Identification (FID) card or a License To Carry Firearms (LTC), is not a process to take lightly. Even long-term licensees are being denied renewal for various reasons, or no real reason at all. Anyone preparing and submitting an application should take every step to ensure that the application is the actual authorized form, and that it is done completely and accurately.

The form: “The application for such license shall be made in a standard form provided by the executive director of the criminal history systems board, which form shall require the applicant to affirmatively state under the pains and penalties of perjury that such applicant is not disqualified on any of the grounds enumerated above from being issued such license.” M.G.L. c. 140, § 131 (g). There is only one valid application form: F 25/26, revised 01/04/02. This form is used for everything from an FID/Mace to a machine gun license, depending upon which box is checked off. This form can be found on, and downloaded from, the Firearms Records Bureau website, http://www.state.ma.us /chsb/frb/FirearmsID.pdf.

Applicants should still get whatever forms their town or city uses, usually called “the packet.” Simply go to the dispatcher, tell him or her you need everything to apply for a firearms license, and take that material home to review. This is needed for two reasons: 1. To determine if the licensing authority has utilized the valid application form, and 2. To determine and document what, if any, alterations and/or amendments have been done to the authentic application form. This is useful if an appeal is required.

For a time, the state form was widely altered, usually by police department letterhead being pasted over the real form and photocopies distributed to applicants. This seems to have ended; however, I found one town in Norfolk County which scanned the real form, altered it to remove the word “Optional” after “S.S. Number,” and distributed this forgery as the authentic document. I assume it still does so. This town also delayed taking prints and demanded documentation of residency, though that is not required. M.G.L. c. 140, § 131 (d).

The more common practice is to amend the authentic application form with a series of other documents, commonly including a so-called “Acknowledgment on the Limitations of the Use of Deadly Force,” often a requirement for “Letters of Recommendation,” sometimes on business letterhead, a letter from the applicant’s physician, and even an “authorization” from the applicant to permit the check of his /her records. It can be argued that a state form which is amended by whatever addenda the chief has arbitrarily decided to tack on is no longer the “standard form provided by the executive director of the criminal history systems board.” Whether you wish to argue that point with your chief is a personal decision.

Note that a records check is inherent in the process, which is why the police department is required to take the applicant’s prints and send them to the State Police within seven (7) days of that applicant’s submission. M.G.L. c. 140, § 131(e). Moreover, F 25/26 specifically requires two (2) references, which would seem to fill any void in the applicant’s background which the police claim to need “letters of recommendation” for.

Remember that a License to Carry is issued solely at the whim of the licensing authority. There is no obligation whatsoever to issue an LTC. The bald statement “You have been deemed unsuitable” on a denial letter may be the response to any applicant who questions the chief’s authority to tack on whatever additional demands he or she feels like imposing. It will not be the chief’s obligation to prove you are unsuitable; it will be your burden to prove that you are suitable and, further, that you have a need which the chief unjustly denied. Consider that when deciding what additional information, if any, you will provide.

I have refused to provide some of the documents demanded of my clients, such as the “authorization” to check records; have withheld others, such as “letters of recommendation” until the clients agreed to meet this demand; and routinely provide the “Acknowledgment of Limitations on the use of Deadly Force” as a reasonable accommodation by a cooperative citizen. Again, what you provide per the specified application, as compared with what your chief claims to additionally require, is a personal decision.

Completing the application: Anticipation is the essence of preparation. Knowing the full scope of the questions is necessary to correctly answering them; wrong answers mean denials and, quite possibly, being charged with perjury for making a false answer. That means time and money in court, and probably never getting your firearms license.

There is no limit to the time period for any question on the application. “Have you ever...” means EVER; not just since Chapter 180 was enacted, the past few years, or since turning 18. Sealed records are not erased; they are merely sealed - and can be opened for a firearms license application.

Any incident resulting in a sealed record will be grounds for a denial if the chief cannot determine what it was and the outcome; failure to acknowledge it could mean being charged with perjury for making a false answer. Other than “non-criminal traffic offenses,” every appearance as a criminal defendant must be acknowledged and accounted for when answering Question 10. Every offense for which you were convicted and which meets the criteria set forth in Question 7 is probably a disqualifier. If your answer to Question 7 is “Yes,” you should contact an attorney to determine if you are even able to obtain a Massachusetts firearms license before applying.

All supplemental answers should be numbered to match the question they respond to. It is better to put “See attached” on the form and prepare a separate sheet. This is also true for the requested reason for issuance. I put “All Lawful Purposes per Chapter 140, § 131(a) and (d),” then detail specific reasons for each client on a separate sheet. This is not the time and place to play Constitutional scholar. “The Second Amendment” will not be deemed an adequate reason for issuing an LTC, and will probably have the opposite of the desired result.

Do not guess. If you don’t know what a word means, look it up. If you are not sure of your record, obtain a copy. When you have reviewed your answers and determined what additional requested information, if any, you will provide, the actual application should be typed or, as a bare minimum, be carefully printed in ink. A copy should be made of the complete application and your existing license, if any. The application, photos, and fee of one hundred dollars ($100.00) should be submitted and the copy time-stamped by the dispatcher. This proves that it was submitted and when, starting the 40-day clock for an appeal.

Renewals should be submitted no less than two months in advance of the expiration date, which is your birthday. Contact your police department first, as there is often a specific time and day on which applications are processed. Fingerprints should be taken when the application is filed. There is nothing in the statute which authorizes the police to reject applications submitted before a certain date, although some towns are doing so. Applicants who wait until there are only four or six weeks left will likely have their licenses expire before they are processed and renewed.

If an application is refused, or the request to have a copy stamped is refused, get the name, rank, and badge number of the officer refusing your application. Provide this information in the cover letter when you send the chief the complete application package by Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested, making sure you have kept a copy of the letter itself as well. When you have received the green card confirming receipt, schedule your fingerprinting.

If you have any doubts about the process, your answers, or what is required, consult an attorney. It is far easier and cheaper to prevent mistakes than to rectify them - if that is even possible. A denied application becomes part of your record; overturning a denial is extremely difficult and very expensive. As with anything relating to firearms, think before you act.

I'll make this VERY simple. Here is the generally applicable portion of a "letter to the chief" (which I submit as an addendum to the app):

[Paragraphs 1 through 3 are for SPECIFIC reasons, like employment, competition,etc.]

4. On the advice of counsel, to prevent any confusion or liability resulting from a misinterpretation of the terms and conditions of a restricted license*(p. 69, ¶ 3;)

5. Because it is the class and reason for issuance recommended by the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police and is the most commonly issued class of license for that reason* (p. 69, ¶ 5);

6. Because one is either qualified to own handguns, or one is not; and

7. Because there is no liability to a licensing authority who issues an LTC to a qualified applicant, regardless of the class and reason for issuance.

8. Because it is the Reason For Issuance for Non-Resident Licenses and it is illogical to issue a Massachusetts citizen a lesser license.

I therefore apply for a Class A License to Carry Firearms (LTC/A) issued for All Lawful Purposes.

* See Law Enforcement Guide to Firearms Law (8th Ed.), Glidden, Ron C., “§ 131 Notes” at Page 70 and “Frequently Asked Questions,” ¶¶ 2 through 5 at Page 218; see also the 6th Edition, Summary,” ¶ 2 - “Class B NOT Recommended,” ¶ 3 - “Restricted LTC’s,” and ¶ 5 - “All Lawful Purpose” at Page 69; “ See also the 4th Edition at pages 181-183.

I trust you can manage the rest.

Last edited:
That is very good. I wish that I could have read that a long time ago. It would have saved me from going to the chief of police a second time, begging for my LTC. It really spelled out alot.
Thanks.

Greetings, all!

I have a restricted Class A license that expires in a little over a year, and I was hoping to upgrade it to an unrestricted Class A. I talked to Darius Arbabi a little about it, and although he gave me several helpful pointers, I was curious to see if anyone here might have some further advice.

The one thing I have going against me is that I live in Newton, which as I understand it is not an easy jurisdiction to get a Class A ALP.

What I do have going for me is that I've had some training beyond the basic safety class, including GOAL's "Art of Concealed Carry in Massachusetts" and the three-day SIGArms Academy's "Concealed Carry Pistol" class. I'm an attorney, licensed to practice in Massachusetts (I hear that some towns are more likely to give a license to a lawyer) and haven't had so much as a parking ticket in my life. I have received threats from adverse litigants in the course of my employment, and the head of my firm was good enough to write me a letter of recommendation attesting to the same for my license renewal application.

Darius suggested that I attend a seminar by Lt. Col. Grossman (though he is not scheduled to be in New England this year), to get more training at SIGArms or at the Smith & Wesson Academy, to get more letters of recommendation and to get involved in IDPA or IPSC.

Does anyone here have any thoughts as to what else I might be able to do? Or has anyone here ever heard of the Newton Police issuing an ALP license?

Welcome to the forum!

I think that the lawyer angle could work to your advantage.

Since the police don't get any actual gun training (BTDT), just throwing ~100 rounds at a stationary target (from a stationary position) to qualify annually (some towns may still do it 2x/year), don't expect some chief/licensing officer to be impressed with defensive handgun training. They don't even think it is necessary for THEM (even the street cops) to get that sort of training!

I think that the average police admin/ranking officer might think such training means that you (and I) are nothing but yahoos!

The officers that I knew at Newton PD are all retired now, so I can't address that town in particular. Years ago, I get the impression that some of my cohorts used their friendship with Monte Basbas (Brother Mason, former Mayor and Judge) to their advantage with the Newton licensing issues. However, the last time I saw Monte (probably 4 years ago), he looked like he was in failing health.

I've taken four defensive handgun courses since 2004 totaling >90 hours of range time (maybe a total of 3-4 hours were in a class situation), and I have no intention of even advising my chief/lts about it when I'm up for renewal!

However I'd defer to the wisdom of counsel here, as they are closer to that "action" than I am.

LenS said:
Welcome to the forum!

I think that the lawyer angle could work to your advantage.

Scrivener said it best in his post on this thread: a denied application becomes part of your record; overturning a denial is extremely difficult and very expensive. That's why I'm looking to get it right on the first try.

While you can get a court to review a denial of an application, the standard of review is very, very unfavorable. In fact, the court must find the issuing authority's decision to be "arbitrary and unreasonable" to overturn it. That is, a plaintiff would have to show that the issuing authority had, essentially, no rational grounds for the denial.

I suppose what I'm looking for is an answer to the question "how much is enough?". In other words, how thick a stack of materials would I have to submit to my issuing authority, not thinking ahead to overturning them in court, but rather convincing them that there are no reasonable or non-arbitrary grounds to deny me a license?

It may be that no showing will be persuasive; that everyone is denied regardless of what is submitted. That would be as close to a slam-dunk as you can get under the harsh "arbitrary and unreasonable" standard of review, but that's a longer road.

Anything other than a universal, blanket denial seems to be a matter of what degree of qualification is ideal...

I think that the average police admin/ranking officer might think such training means that you (and I) are nothing but yahoos!

...since too much might make an issuing authority deny one for going in too strong, yet a denial could be founded on a notion that one doesn't have enough training.

The officers that I knew at Newton PD are all retired now, so I can't address that town in particular. Years ago, I get the impression that some of my cohorts used their friendship with Monte Basbas (Brother Mason, former Mayor and Judge) to their advantage with the Newton licensing issues. However, the last time I saw Monte (probably 4 years ago), he looked like he was in failing health.

It might be that the political angle is the way to go in Newton, but I really don't have any political pull in this town.

I obviously want to take the easiest and friendliest road to getting an ALP license as I possibly can -- does anyone know of someone who has received a Class A LTC ALP from Newton in recent years?

BTW, so far I'm loving this forum.

MA LTC renewal

Scrivener said:
I'll make this VERY simple. Here is the generally applicable portion of a "letter to the chief" (which I submit as an addendum to the app):

Thanks Scrivener. I just picked up my packet from the Waltham PD and I was wondering what to write in my "Letter to the Chief" detailing my reasons for requesting my ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES license to be renewed that way.

If one has no choice but to accept a Target Practice restriction, you would think that the person is limited to traveling to and from the range. What's the point? Now, could you wear concealed to the range and then stop for dinner afterwards while carrying. Could you plan for a day of sport and carry all day even if intermittently you stopped to shop or hike while not plinking bottles?

I mean arguably, you have a permit to carry any time but you can only use the firearm for target practice. You may be wearing the firearm for the day with absolutely no intent on drawing it on a person, even for self defense. Are you violating the law?

You cannot carry in public with a restricted LTC, the range or your house is private property and you can if you wish. Remember you need an LTC just to own guns in MA.

If one has no choice but to accept a Target Practice restriction, you would think that the person is limited to traveling to and from the range. What's the point? Now, could you wear concealed to the range and then stop for dinner afterwards while carrying. Could you plan for a day of sport and carry all day even if intermittently you stopped to shop or hike while not plinking bottles?

I mean arguably, you have a permit to carry any time but you can only use the firearm for target practice. You may be wearing the firearm for the day with absolutely no intent on drawing it on a person, even for self defense. Are you violating the law?

If your LTC is restricted to Sport and Target you _cannot_ legally carry a firearm if you are not actually at the range or otherwise actively engaged in sport and target activities.

To lawfully transport your firearm, in must be unloaded and secured in a car trunk, a case, or in another secure container.

If you live in Newton, you have virtually no chance of obtaining an unrestricted LTC. Sorry to give you the bad news, but I don't believe in saying otherwise just because it's what you may want to hear.

Darius

If your LTC is restricted to Sport and Target you _cannot_ legally carry a firearm if you are not actually at the range or otherwise actively engaged in sport and target activities.

To lawfully transport your firearm, in must be unloaded and secured in a car trunk, a case, or in another secure container.

If you live in Newton, you have virtually no chance of obtaining an unrestricted LTC. Sorry to give you the bad news, but I don't believe in saying otherwise just because it's what you may want to hear.

Darius

Agh! I understand now. I would never lock a firearm in my car and leave it unattended. Legal to do or not, it strikes me as negligent.
I guess at least you can own what you like, but it really is a lot more restrictive than it first seemed.

Agh! I understand now. I would never lock a firearm in my car and leave it unattended. Legal to do or not, it strikes me as negligent.

Then unload the gun, secure it in a locked case (one that doesn't announce to the world "Gun!") without any ammunition, and keep the case with you.

Ken

[Paragraphs 1 through 3 are for SPECIFIC reasons, like employment, competition,etc.]

4. On the advice of counsel, to prevent any confusion or liability resulting from a misinterpretation of the terms and conditions of a restricted license*(p. 69, ¶ 3;)

5. Because it is the class and reason for issuance recommended by the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police and is the most commonly issued class of license for that reason* (p. 69, ¶ 5);

6. Because one is either qualified to own handguns, or one is not; and

7. Because there is no liability to a licensing authority who issues an LTC to a qualified applicant, regardless of the class and reason for issuance.

8. Because it is the Reason For Issuance for Non-Resident Licenses and it is illogical to issue a Massachusetts citizen a lesser license.

I therefore apply for a Class A License to Carry Firearms (LTC/A) issued for All Lawful Purposes.

* See Law Enforcement Guide to Firearms Law (8th Ed.), Glidden, Ron C., “§ 131 Notes” at Page 70 and “Frequently Asked Questions,” ¶¶ 2 through 5 at Page 218; see also the 6th Edition, Summary,” ¶ 2 - “Class B NOT Recommended,” ¶ 3 - “Restricted LTC’s,” and ¶ 5 - “All Lawful Purpose” at Page 69; “ See also the 4th Edition at pages 181-183.

I trust you can manage the rest.

so do you need to include all this into youe letter? or does it need to be more specific

That's one lawyer's opinion!

Many of us don't supply any letters at all.

YMMV, that's why each of us needs to understand what our PD is looking for before proceeding. One size does not fit all.

It's amazing how much different all my Florida friends feel about the above statement. To them a gun is one of those things your car needs to have at all times, just like a spare tire.

-Cuz.

It's amazing how much different all my Florida friends feel about the above statement. To them a gun is one of those things your car needs to have at all times, just like a spare tire.

-Cuz.

[laugh] I can't argue with that. Two very different environments. Two very different cultures.

Hello everyone,

I currently live in Worcester, located in the peoples republic of Massachusetts and have been trying to upgrade my Class A LTC from "Sporting and Target" to "All Lawful Purpose". I recently joined the D.O.C but my Police Chief refuses to update my LTC. My question for anyone out there, short of hiring a lawyer, is there anyway to fight this ruling? I'm sure I'm not the only person in the state going through this right now. thanks.

Also, I was told that as a Correctional Officer I fall under LEOSA. What Is LEOSA? Thanks in advance for all tips.

Welcome Masterb183.
LEOSA is the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004.
I grabbed this link off Google. It was the first hit and tells you about it in a nutshell.
http://www.gbglawoffice.com/resources/leosa_faq.html#whatappropriate

LEOSA will not cover you if you are not required to carry as part of your job. So depending on what your job with the DOC is you may not be covered.

As a CO, your duties don't typically require a firearm. However, if you are a full deputy and are authorized to carry a weapon, I think you would then fall under LEOSA.

I used to work for the DOC. Just a suggestion, be patient. Anytime an inmate threatens you document it on an incident report or disciplinary report. When you are off duty, on the street you will begin seeing parolees. I don't know if they still have work release and furloughs, but if they do, believe me you will see these clowns walking around as well. Make a notation. When you have enough documentation, discuss with the chief.

Alternatively, have you considered having the CO union's president discuss with the Worcester PD union? Just a thought.

I've been in Max and Supermax. These inmates are the most unstable, dangerous, sociopathic sacks of sh*t on the planet. Given the chance to cut your throat, they will. And they aren't locked up forever.

How f'd is that when you can't even get that professional courtesy.

Hello everyone,

I currently live in Worcester, located in the peoples republic of Massachusetts and have been trying to upgrade my Class A LTC from "Sporting and Target" to "All Lawful Purpose". I recently joined the D.O.C but my Police Chief refuses to update my LTC. My question for anyone out there, short of hiring a lawyer, is there anyway to fight this ruling? I'm sure I'm not the only person in the state going through this right now. thanks.

Also, I was told that as a Correctional Officer I fall under LEOSA. What Is LEOSA? Thanks in advance for all tips.

Move to an area outside of Worcester City Limits that is Class A friendly?

Just printed this thread. I'll be meticulously following this advice and probably seeking counsel at the beginning of next year as my license comes due and I'm renewing in a new town.

Thanks for the post and thanks for sharing.

I dont need to renew until 2011. If you move to a different town do you need to renew your license or can you just leave it alone as long as you send in the change of residence paperwork?

You don't renew until the old one expires. Just like a DL, it's just a notification of a change of address, nothing more.

Back
Top Bottom