1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Anthracite coal here ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by fubar, Nov 13, 2012.

1. fubar

fubar Member

A friend gave me a clean like-new small Godin coal stove. Not pellet stove style , but a non-electric tube shaped pretty thing. This afternoon I am going to hook it up to a heavy duty steel lined chimney. The idea of coal appeals to me , as it takes up less space than firewood , and burns longer. I like the idea of storing a fuel that is already a million years old and doesn't rot , fall on my wife's foot or or require splitting.

I am told that anthracite lessons much of the nastiness associated with the reputation of coal , some say a well running anthracite system is about equal in cleanliness to propane ...

Does anyone know where to buy coal ? I wouldn't mind overpaying retail during the learning curve - and then stocking a metric f-ton of the stuff at a reasonable bulk price.

2. bullseye

bullseye Member

Grid 17S with bugout longterm shelter and great fi
  3. timbo

timbo Navy Veteran NES Member

I used to burn coal...I had a hard time finding bulk coal dealers so I would buy it by the bagged ton (actually easier to deal with). At the time, Blue Seal carried it but I know a lot of smaller hardware stores had it too. It was about $4.50 for 50# back a few years ago. With all the crap that's going down in the coal industry, I can imagine that price will only go up and up.

After my stove finally burned itself out after 20 years of hard use (coal is very acidic), I bought a pellet stove...

4. bullseye

bullseye Member

Are you ready from a visit from the EPA?

5. fubar

fubar Member

6. bullseye

bullseye Member

Hopefully Google fu won't call you back, but real life will.

7. fubar

fubar Member

Thank you.

8. timbo

timbo Navy Veteran NES Member

Not a problem [grin]

9. garandman

garandman NES Member

A buddy heats his house partially with coal - it's more comfortable than most wood-heated homes I've been in.

Boston Coal.

Coal making a comeback.

10. cbrburns

cbrburns Member

I heat my home with a coal fired stove in my finished basement. The house is a 1400 sq.ft. ranch. During the winter months I remove the door to the basement and the natural draft allows the heat to circulate around the house. I get my coal from either Agway or a local feed store, a small locally owned family business. My stove is a fairly large hand stoker. During this time of year it is overkill and the house would be 85 degrees. However, in the dead of winter, the house never drops below 70 degrees. Once I fire the stove, I could use the same fire for the entire season if the weather permits. I get roughly 10-12 hours on a burn. I typically load the stove in the morning before work and again before I go to bed. Each load is approx. 30lbs. It is fairly dusty from the fly ash, but using caution during shake down, loading and ash clean out will keep that to a minimum.

It did take some time to figure out the most efficient way to run the stove. I tried nut coal, pea coal, and a 50/50 combination of the two. I also had to experiment with the depth of the bed. Too shallow and it would burn hot and fast. Too deep and it would smother itself. I found that it takes much longer to produce heat from a cold start than wood, but once it's running.... it cranks. Coal is not something you burn to get quick heat, to "take the chill out of the house". Lots of good info for coal burners at www.nepacrossroads.com. Hope this helps.

11. swampy

swampy NES Member

Make sure you have good carbon monoxide detectors throughout the house.

12. CRSIII

CRSIII NES Member

Also, make sure the flue has excellent draft. If the draft is lazy, you can have serious problems. See swampy's post. And burning coal can be very messy, i.e. coal dust everywhere.

13. cbrburns

cbrburns Member

YES, I forgot to put that in there. We have CO detectors throughout the house. Not something I'm willing to take chances with. CO is heavier than air, so we have them in the basement and along the floorboards on the first (living) floor.

14. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

There are new automatic coal furnaces, where your coal is actually delivered by a tank truck just like oil. They're supposed to be the shiznit, but they're pretty expensive.

Given the government's war on coal, I'd hesitate to make that kind of investment.

15. cbrburns

cbrburns Member

Just curious who delivers coal like the oil company in our area. It's almost impossible to get bulk coal delivered here. Not trying to come off like a dick, but it's not a common fuel around MA.

16. CRSIII

CRSIII NES Member

17. cbrburns

cbrburns Member

18. CRSIII

CRSIII NES Member

National Coal Company, 43 Crescent Street, Worcester, MA 01605. Contact: John Alicandro. TEL: (508) 752-7468.

19. Gibbs

Gibbs NES Member

Heh.

Read the first injury in the list.

20. fubar

fubar Member

Thanks again , everyone ( cbrburns ) ,

I've got good chimneys : interior , multi flue , seamless stainless liners. Just hooked up my stove and ran a bit of kindling through it to check connections and draft.

I have a card from Topsfield Fair , for Riverside Coal. I'll call them tomorrow to see about pricing & deliveries.