• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does anybody Reload 7.62x25 for the Tokarev M57?

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
I ordered the pistol, a bunch of Starline Brass, and some 90gr Hornady bullets.

The Hornady book has a load using H110 which produces 1700fps. Some of the other manuals I've looked at have only much lower pressure loads. Those manuals combine the .30 Mauser and 7.62x25 data; Hornady does not.

An I right to assume that the lower pressure loads are intended to accommodate the .30 Mauser but the 7.62 can be loaded to a higher pressure?

Does anybody load for the Yugo M57?

I'd prefer to load on the hot side. Otherwise, what's the point, right?

Back 20+ years ago when Tokarevs and their ammo was as available as easily as a mosquito on a summer evening there were 2 varieties of ammo imported. Some if it was too hot for the pistols as it was originally loaded for an auto rifle or full auto sub gun. I remember seeing the warnings at places like the Fair when they sold a lot of surplus guns and ammo. It might be possible the high pressure stuff is for that purpose. Does SAAMI spec either cartridge? I think Fiocci claims 1700fps+ with their tokarev ammo

I did buy several boxes of wolf gold to acquire some brass to reload for my yugo and Cz 52. It was 1720 fps on the box. I have some Bulgarian surplus that seems tame compared to the wolf gold.

I drifted away from reloading for this round but interested to see how things go.

Back 20+ years ago when Tokarevs and their ammo was as available as easily as a mosquito on a summer evening there were 2 varieties of ammo imported. Some if it was too hot for the pistols as it was originally loaded for an auto rifle or full auto sub gun. I remember seeing the warnings at places like the Fair when they sold a lot of surplus guns and ammo. It might be possible the high pressure stuff is for that purpose. Does SAAMI spec either cartridge? I think Fiocci claims 1700fps+ with their tokarev ammo

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=46709.0

I've never heard of a Tok blowing up, so I would largely disregard this myth. They're a fairly rugged gun.

I can tell you from experience the CZ 52 I had would throw brass into orbit and replacing the recoil spring kept them to a 20 ft launch.

An I right to assume that the lower pressure loads are intended to accommodate the .30 Mauser but the 7.62 can be loaded to a higher pressure?

Jim,
sounds funny, but it's the other way around:
The Pmax of the 7.63 Mauser is 200 bar (2,900 psi) HIGHER than the 7.62 Tokarev's (CIP data).
However, the Tok has a faster muzzle velocity.

Here's a link to the actual Vihtavuori charts.
http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading/vihtavuori-reloading-data/relodata/6/37
It shows a max. load of 5.7 grs N340 for the Sierra 90 grs JHC and 5.9 grs N340 for the Lapua 93 grs FMJ (attn. OAL),
whereas OLD DEVA data from 1995 shows 6.6 grs as max. for a 93 grs Geco FMJ (OAL 34.5mm, Vo 1,476 fps, Pmax 32,633 psi).
Vihtavuori has reduced loads consistently over the years and tends to cater to possible liability problems.

IF you have N340 on hand I'd say work up your load from 5.7 grs and check for signs of overpressure.

Disclaimer: A C-96 Broomhandle does not need the full power of the 7.63x26 Mauser max load, they do function
fine with a lot less. Do the old Ladies a favor and don't ride them too hard.

sounds funny, but it's the other way around:
The Pmax of the 7.63 Mauser is 200 bar (2,900 psi) HIGHER than the 7.62 Tokarev's (CIP data).
However, the Tok has a faster muzzle velocity.

OK. I've thought about this.

If the .30 Mauser has a higher pressure limit but lower velocity, then doesn't it make sense that the loads with the bigger powder charges and higher velocities are intended for the Tokarev? Think about it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom