'17 NH Constitutional Carry, SB12 is law & U can carry if U can own, including MA res

Finally, finally, finally moving out of this crap State of CT and moving into NH this summer.

So, my status right now is I do not have a permit in CT. I USED to have one years 20 years ago and let it lapse when I lived in the southwest for a bit. I moved back to CT with my firearms a few years ago to take care of my ailing dad. My dad passed (RIP [sad2]) and I really see no reason to get a CT permit ($300?) since I'll be moving out of this hell hole mid to late summer, just putting the finishing touches on my garage and small cabin in NH this springtime.

So my question is this: Before I change my official addy to NH, being an out of State resident without a permit can I carry in NH? Can I bring my firearms up there and store them until I am officially a NH resident without any legal hassles?

Thank you in advance...

1. Go Green
2. The answer to your question is YES, you can carry without a permit in NH as long as you re not a Prohibited Person.
YES, you can bring your firearms up there.
NO there is no storage requirement in NH.
There will be no legal hassles in NH, but be careful traveling with them through CT and MA on your way to NH. Make sure they are unloaded, separate from any ammunition and secured in a locked container until you get to NH

I just saw a TV news report about how police in towns that border NH are worried about this. Specifically, the Dracut police chief was on camera talking about how his officers might be surprised by someone carrying (as if the new law changes anything for them)! They said Dracut and Pelham are looking into posting signs so that NH people will realize that MA laws are different than NH laws. [laugh]

They also showed some unsafe pistol handling by a guy in a gun store. [sad2] I hope that wasn't anyone here!

Maybe a sign like this [rolleyes]
you are leaving the american sector.jpg

So, my Pennsylvania expired last year and since NH covered it and they now require actually going to PA to renew I just let it go. My Maine expires in 2018 & NH in 2019 which I no longer have to renew. I suppose my NH would cover PA until it expires then I'll have to go to PA on a week day to renew my expired permit [frown]

Isn't this going to screw up reciprocity for NH Resident permit holders?

Isn't this going to screw up reciprocity for NH Resident permit holders?

Once again, NH permits both res and non-res are no longer needed in NH but they are still available if for some reason, like reciprocity, you want to get/keep one.

So, VT has been Constitutional Carry forever - but because NH went to what it should be.......we get fear pieces on the news, even FOX?

Another reason not to watch.

Yes, unfortunately this tortured interpretation lives on, even though the NH AG has stated the license exempts you from the GFZA. Why people cling to this (or ever came up with it in the first place) is beyond me.

The NH AG doesn't enforce the federal GFSZA; the ATF does.

The ATF hasn't acted on NH, but the NH R&PL clearly doesn't meet the standard for exemption.

But no one cares, not even the ATF, unless it can be used as plea bait for someone literally selling drugs to kids on the school grounds while armed.

So, VT has been Constitutional Carry forever - but because NH went to what it should be.......we get fear pieces on the news, even FOX?

Another reason not to watch.

This^

But not all news media.

This just in:

Carrying the day: Gun owners don’t need permission

New Hampshire gun owners no longer need to seek the police chief’s permission to wear a coat.

The Granite State has always allowed law-abiding citizens to openly carry a firearm. Thanks to legislation signed by Gov. Chris Sununu this week, they no longer have to apply for a license to carry that firearm concealed.

This mirrors the long-standing policy in Vermont, and a newly adopted standard in Maine. Despite the wails of anti-gun activists, Northern New England will not devolve into a lawless frontier.

The new law, known to gun rights advocates as Constitutional Carry, does not extend gun rights to anyone currently barred from possessing a firearm. If you are legally able to carry, you no longer need a separate piece of paper, issued by local authorities, to carry it in a purse, wear it under a coat, or transport it in a car.

New Hampshire has kept its concealed carry license on the books, so that gun owners can enjoy reciprocity in states that require such licenses.

Police chiefs fought the change, not wanting to give up their authority to decide which of their citizens was and wasn’t “suitable” to exercise their rights. Other critics of the law just don’t like guns, and don’t trust gun owners.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20170224/OPINION01/170229614

Last edited:

The ATF hasn't acted on NH, but the NH R&PL clearly doesn't meet the standard for exemption.

But no one cares, not even the ATF, unless it can be used as plea bait for someone literally selling drugs to kids on the school grounds while armed.

Could you please explain why the NH Pistol / Revolver License does not meet the standard for exemption from the federal gun free school zone law?

It's not "clear" at all; that argument is based on a torturous parsing of the GFZA that has never been advanced by an actual law enforcement entity.

The list is long, but so far the NHSP, NHAG, a former US AG's office, etc. have all expressed the opposite opinion.

Whether or not the NH AG enforces the law, are you saying he doesn't know the law? Whose interpretation seem more credible, the NH AG (previous administration US AG office) or the Penny Dean/Sam Cohen crowd?

By the way, maybe you could provide just one actual law enforcement source that supports that interpretation before you use the term "clearly."

Last edited:
this man is awesome! I don't know him, but I love this guy !!! NO homo

"The Constitution is very clear, and the chiefs of police need to grow up," said Republican Rep. John Burt. He added, "That's why they're mad: They can't abuse the public anymore."

I am sad that I have been on a work trip during this whole thing, I would have liked to have busted a few caps off my deck in celebration. I have a bitching Noveske N4 barrel waiting for me at home too.

Soon! [mg]

Title of the tread changed per request. Title does not fit everything, so I did my best to abbreviate import stuff.
Love the map, if we could just get NY, PA and KY, we could almost drive to the west coast?
Surprised that the Trace used green not red in their graphic.

There are more hurdles coming our way. Details later.

Hurdles, what hurdles?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the Wikipedia page was updated yesterday.

2017.gif

I just saw a TV news report about how police in towns that border NH are worried about this. Specifically, the Dracut police chief was on camera talking about how his officers might be surprised by someone carrying (as if the new law changes anything for them)! They said Dracut and Pelham are looking into posting signs so that NH people will realize that MA laws are different than NH laws. [laugh]

They also showed some unsafe pistol handling by a guy in a gun store. [sad2] I hope that wasn't anyone here!

What channel was this on? I need to see this report.

Back
Top Bottom