• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

'17 NH Constitutional Carry, SB12 is law & U can carry if U can own, including MA res

[laugh2] HOw can any bill that includes the clause " [and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed] " be called a "constitutional carry" bill?
Markup has meaning. When you click through to the bill text, suitable appears only in a strikeout:
SB12 said:
Explanation: Matter added to current law appears in bold italics.
Matter removed from current law appears [[strike=in brackets and struckthrough]in brackets and struckthrough.[/strike]]

I.(a) ... shall issue a license ...if ... the applicant ...has any proper purpose, [[strike=and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed]and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed[/strike]] unless the applicant is prohibited by New Hampshire or federal statute from possessing a firearm. Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense shall be considered a proper purpose. The license shall be valid for all allowable purposes regardless of the purpose for which it was originally issued.. . .

It's probably too late to strike it now without drawing attention, but I really wish the bill had not included "...or federal" in the language.

NH doesn't assimilate other federal gun laws into state statutes. NH issuing officials aren't necessarily subject matter experts on federal law.

The only thing any licensing official should be concerned with is NH law. Nothing more.

...I really wish the bill had not included "...or federal" in the language. NH doesn't assimilate other federal gun laws into state statutes. NH issuing officials aren't necessarily subject matter experts on federal law...
True, it could be phrased better.

That said, it works around of the objection that would be raised if the law put issuing authorities into a position where they would be required by state law to issue a P&R to somebody who they know is a federally prohibited person.

Right. Also for purposes of helping get reciprocity and for future potential to act as NICS substitute.

Tomorrow there will be the first hearing. The Senate cmte has 5 members, 2 are co-sponsoring the bill and the 3rd republican has voted for this several times in the past. The real concern is the first hearing in the House. Save your ammo for that hearing.

Tomorrow there will be the first hearing. The Senate cmte has 5 members, 2 are co-sponsoring the bill and the 3rd republican has voted for this several times in the past. The real concern is the first hearing in the House. Save your ammo for that hearing.

Nice!

I'm glad they are getting right to the business of making this happen.

LOL, yeah. It pretty much just got there. [smile]

Sorry, getting a little anxious!

Here's the docket tracker. 1st hearing is Tuesday.
http://gencourt.state.nh.us/bill_st...0&sy=2017&sortoption=&txtsessionyear=2017&q=1

I believe we now have a Pro 2A Gov correct? I am prettysure the reason why this has not passed in the past is due to a GoV Veto.

Governor Chris Sununu is on record for supporting Constitutional Carry. I think it's still on his campaign site.

And yes to your second question. Hassan was very anti-2A despite claiming she wanted to protect our gun rights.

Email from NRA: "New Hampshire: Critical Constitutional/Permitless Carry Legislation Passes Out of Committee!"

On Tuesday, January 10, the Senate Judiciary Committee successfully voted Senate Bill 12 out of committee. SB 12, legislation eliminating the requirement to obtain a permit in order to lawfully carry, will now go to the Senate floor for consideration

Hassan was very anti-2A despite claiming she wanted to protect our gun rights.

Every time Hassan mentioned she supported the 2A, it was always in the context of her relatives loving to hunt...I don't think she understood the real meaning of why the 2A was put to parchment.

man NH going to constitutional carry would be tremendous. that would be such a great thing. i really hope this gets passed. if you people know of any organizations helping to promote this bill, let me know and I will make a donation.

I'll be looking for an alert here and/or through NHFC email. More relevant than NRA notices.

man NH going to constitutional carry would be tremendous. that would be such a great thing. i really hope this gets passed. if you people know of any organizations helping to promote this bill, let me know and I will make a donation.
See the old [thread=246021]summary of New Hampshire gun rights organizations[/thread]. Sadly, none of the firearms-specific groups have an effective online presence outside of Facebook.

Looks like NHFC (New Hampshire Firearms Coalition) is the most active, but the latest updates are only on their facebook page. PackingNH is a Political Action Committee, and after the elections they let their website fall apart. Neither PGNH (Pro-Gun New Hampshire) nor GO-NH (Gun Owners of New Hampshire) have touched their website content in quite some time.

Lastly, while not exclusively focused on 2A issues, the NHLA (New Hampshire Liberty Alliance) is very active, and they actually have 2017 content on their website.

NHFC is working hard to get this passed and will be getting out an alert for the House hearing. The Senate make up was such that the real battle is in the House.
-Design

2011-02-18_nhfc_banner_blue_white_email.jpg

Dear ......,

The calendar has turned to 2017 and the New Hampshire General Court is back in session. NHFC is working very hard to pass Constitutional Carry this year. I want to give you a quick legislative update so you know what the Board Members are doing and what you can do to help.

Yesterday, I attended and testified at the Senate Judiciary Committee Hearing for SB 12, Constitutional Carry on behalf of both NHFC and our partners at Gun Owners of America. This is a simple bill that merely says, if a person is lawfully allowed to possess a firearm than that same person may carry a concealed handgun without any sort of permit or license. SB 12 has 13 Senators and 5 Representatives as co-sponsors. It accomplishes this goal by repealing R.S.A. 159:4, Carrying without a license.

I am happy to report that the Judiciary Committee voted the bill "ought to pass" on a 3-2 vote. The bill now moves to the full Senate where it may be considered as early as next week. Please call or email your Senators and politely ask them to vote SB 12 "ought to pass" without any amendments or changes. Click here for contact information on all Senators.

Please remember to be polite but firm when you ask Senators to support SB 12. Some talking points include the fact that Vermont has never required a license or permit to carry a firearm and in 2015, Maine removed it's permit requirement. All 3 Northern New England states are consistently ranked as 3 of the safest places to live, work and play. It makes logical sense for New Hampshire to follow the lead of our neighbors and 8 other states and remove an onerous, unconstitutional requirement that has racism as its roots.

Current New Hampshire law allows people to openly carry a firearm without any sort of license. SB 12 extends this logic to concealed carry. A person should not become a criminal for putting on a coat or getting into a car.

Please also remind Senators that there are several documented cases of people who are lawfully allowed to own a firearm who were denied a Pistol / Revolver license. SB 12 will stop this abuse by removing the requirement to obtain a license and making it clear that for anyone who would like a license for purposes of reciprocity in the 27 states that currently honor the New Hampshire license, SB 12 changes the law to read "... unless the applicant is prohibited by New Hampshire or federal statute from possessing a firearm." These simple words do away with the 94 year old "suitable person" language that has been abused to deny qualified people licenses.

Please remember to be polite but firm when you contact State Senators.

Thanks for your support.

27098092-bffd-4cf6-9f70-69202f21b34e.jpg

Alan M. Rice
Vice President & Training Director - NHFC

P.S. The New Hampshire Firearms Coalition is working tirelessly to keep gun owners like you up-to-date on as many gun issues as possible -- please consider contributing to the effort by chipping in $15 or $20.

Click here to support NHFC by purchasing one of our custom rifles.

Was this email forwarded to you? Click here to go to our home page and sign up for legislative alerts.

Not an NHFC Member? Click here to join.

Back
Top Bottom