.17 coyote at night New Hunting regulation

Was just reading the mass.gov website about hunting laws, as of this year MA is alowing the .17 center fire round to be used at night rather than just the .22lr to hunt coyotes.

Was just reading the mass.gov website about hunting laws, as of this year MA is alowing the .17 center fire round to be used at night rather than just the .22lr to hunt coyotes.

That's a negative, chief. Read your own link.

The so-called "rifle ban" in the southeastern counties will no longer be issued. Hunters in those counties, as well as the rest of the state,will now be able to use rifles chambered equal to or larger than .22 caliber (including .17 caliber rifles), except as provided below:

a. During the period from ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise, (nighttime hours) rifles are restricted to those chambered not larger than .22 long rifle.

Isn't the .17 smaller than the .22?
Therefore, it is NOT larger than a .22 and can be used.

Like most MA laws, it's so poorly written that there is a lot left to interpret by local law enforcement. Here's the key line:
...those chambered not larger than .22 long rifle.
From what I hear and read, most encorcemnt people interpret it as the size of the chamber not the diameter of the bore. So, a 17HM2 (necked down .22) would be OK but not a 17HMR (necked down 22 magnum). YMMV

Like most MA laws, it's so poorly written that there is a lot left to interpret by local law enforcement. Here's the key line:

From what I hear and read, most encorcemnt people interpret it as the size of the chamber not the diameter of the bore. So, a 17HM2 (necked down .22) would be OK but not a 17HMR (necked down 22 magnum). YMMV

Just another MA law left with wayyy too much interpretation.

Please provide a link that would allow anything other than .22 long rifle rimfire

It is my understanding the chamber is measured by both the diameter of the bore and the length of the chamber. Thus not larger than .22 cal bore and chamber not longer than a .22cal Long rifle cartridge rimfire only.

Why they can’t just say what they mean in plan language I will never figure out.

(I wish I had more money than a yard stick x pie) [laugh]

Why they can’t just say what they mean in plan language I will never figure out.
It's easier:
* It's easier to just throw out any dumb law and let the courts and lawyers sort out its meaning.
* It's easier to control your subjects if they are always in fear of breaking laws because they can't understand them.

It's easier:
* It's easier to just throw out any dumb law and let the courts and lawyers sort out its meaning.
* It's easier to control your subjects if they are always in fear of breaking laws because they can't understand them.

+1

besides a lot of people that write this laws have no idea of what they are talking about. and go by what other people, that also have no idea, have to say.

Like: you can use a light to hunt raccoon, but not coyote. Yet you can use a .50BMG to kill a coyote during the day, but you cant use a rifled slug. Makes sense to you??????

Isn't the .17 smaller than the .22?
Therefore, it is NOT larger than a .22 and can be used.

As others have pointed out, it's "not larger than .22 long rifle". A while back, another member posted a response from MassWildlife/DFW saying that a round which is larger than a .22LR in any dimension cannot be used. So no .204 Ruger, .17 Fireball, or .17HMR. .22LR (long, short, CB too) and .17HM2 are the only ones you can use.

Good luck! the Env police had a booth at the worcester fish show, and I stopped by to ask a few detailed hunting questions I had been wondering about. All I got was a blank stare back. Running into one of these guys, at night, and trying to talk your way out of a ticket due to an interpretation of one of the Mass laws is going to be...interesting!

Good luck! the Env police had a booth at the worcester fish show, and I stopped by to ask a few detailed hunting questions I had been wondering about. All I got was a blank stare back. Running into one of these guys, at night, and trying to talk your way out of a ticket due to an interpretation of one of the Mass laws is going to be...interesting!
What did you ask them to have them zone out? I've never been able to shut them up, especially in court.

some animals you can clearly hunt at night. so i dont get what you are trying to say.

Back
Top Bottom