1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Holiday Inn Express wifi issues

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by pernox, Aug 13, 2012.

1. pernox

pernox Member

Off the wall question here..

I've been (and will be) spending some time in a Holiday Inn Express. The wifi is free, the connection is relatively strong, and I've been bringing my wife's laptop along for down time between shifts at this location (Plainfield, CT) my new job's got me training at.

Problem is that both Internet Explorer and Firefox crash constantly while on this connection. CONSTANTLY. Sometimes if I leave the tab open with the HIEX user agreement/home page on it I can get a few minutes of browsing in with another tab before the crash... But not often.

I'm going to try tech support when I get back to the hotel, but I thought in the meantime I'd ask the collective here on NES if they might have some advice. Hotels are boring as hell, and having NES to keep me company would sure make the stay go by faster. [smile]

2. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    Stay a few nights....you'll be able to figure it out fro yourself!

[laugh]

3. drgrant

drgrant Moderator

Sounds like their transparent proxy or something is killing the internet connection. Have you tried connecting, going to their AUP page, approving/accepting, close the browsers, then reopen? Maybe there is some turd nugget getting stuck in memory that is causing the browsers to crash.

Do you have any non browser things to run? I used to find at some hotels running an outbound VPN tunnel to somewhere would help keep the connection from timing out after a few hours.

-Mike

4. cyberlogicx

cyberlogicx Member

Hotel wifi always sucks. And Mike is right, they time out your authentication to force you to sign back in. Makes downloading torrents a pain in the ass

5. whatluck

whatluck Member

There's a program called KeepAlive that stops this from happening. If your connection goes cold your border proxies are kicking you in the nuts.

6. pernox

pernox Member

Closing the browser and reopening actually seems to hasten the browser crashing.

The laptop has almost nothing on it - she just uses it for MyFaceTwitterBookSpace or whatever. Anything you'd recommend that might help to keep the connection up?

This is like an immediate thing most of the time though.
    - Connect to WiFi network.
    - Open IE, authenticate with hotel provided login/pass
    - Open website (tried lots.. oddly, Google and Bing usually seem to NOT crash the browsers)
    - Browser dies

Thanks - I'll look into that for sure.

-edit- I should clarify. I don't think (could be wrong..) the connection is dropping, but rather the browser is crashing. Both Firefox and IE do this.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  7. Mike_Diako

Mike_Diako Member

Have you turned it off then on again?

[video=youtube_share;p85xwZ_OLX0]http://youtu.be/p85xwZ_OLX0[/video]

8. el duderino

el duderino Member

No advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express. [smile]

Might be worth it for you to pick up a prepaid cellular wifi card.