SHTF reading

Don't think so. Day of Wrath was horrible. Maybe it's improved since Day of Wrath, lol.

William Forstchen is just a shitty author who found his niche within a genre of writing in which most readers don't give a shit about anything besides fulfilling their masturbatory survival and gear fantasies.

Thanks for reading, derek. As I was writing it, I knew that would annoy the hell out of folks on these forums. [laugh] I was trying to make him a relative n00b to firearms and almost wrote the book with him not even owning a gun, but I figured if I did that, it would be a short series, because he'd be dead in book 1. lol.

Bought on Amazon the other day and finished it last night. I thought it was excellent and can't wait for the sequels, would be nice if you could do one once a week . Seriously, when is the next one?

Bought on Amazon the other day and finished it last night. I thought it was excellent and can't wait for the sequels, would be nice if you could do one once a week ��. Seriously, when is the next one?
Thanks for the feedback. I'm working on the second book and hope to have it out by Christmas.

I came across a series from A American - Getting Home (The Survivalist Series) not sure if it was already reviewed here. Pretty good reading not too long, some good equipment references. I think there are about 6 books in the series.

http://www.amazon.com/Surviving-Home-Novel-Survivalist-American/dp/0142181285/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1447084294&sr=8-3&keywords=a+american

I really wished the survival/prepper genre actually had some talented writers. The Going Home series is the perfect example of a subpar storyline written by a subpar "author".

I loved the Going Home series. But maybe I just don't ever expect a SHTF novel to read like Odysseus, because that's not the genre.

I just found the writing of the first two books to be overly redundant, too convenient and loose with stereotypes.

yes, but that didn't bother me. I think with alot of these books you can skip dozens of pages of scene set ups and not impact the story.

I really wished the survival/prepper genre actually had some talented writers. The Going Home series is the perfect example of a subpar storyline written by a subpar "author".

People in the genre used to be happy posting their story on-line on a few prep sites for people of like mind to read and critique
Now everyone thinks they can be the next Rawlings making millions from Harry Potter because they self-publish on Amazon

yes, but that didn't bother me. I think with alot of these books you can skip dozens of pages of scene set ups and not impact the story.
I though the same thing about anything written by Stephen King. You can rip a hundred pages out of any of his novels and not miss anything LOL

Try Dirk Patton's Voodoo Plague series, that's my favorite author of what I've read so far. Although it's more of a zombie novel than a prepper novel.

Try Dirk Patton's Voodoo Plague series, that's my favorite author of what I've read so far. Although it's more of a zombie novel than a prepper novel.

I don't mind the zombie genre. As much as he is a total liberal toolbag, I enjoyed what Max brooks did with WWZ. I like stories that don't rely on the superhuman ex military do every thing guy as their lead character.

I don't mind the zombie genre. As much as he is a total liberal toolbag, I enjoyed what Max brooks did with WWZ. I like stories that don't rely on the superhuman ex military do every thing guy as their lead character.

well, the hero of the series is ex Delta Force, but he takes a lot of abuse, it's more like Die Hard than Rambo. I like the series cause it just seems very realistic, logical, and the author seems very familiar with small arms tactics. It's also fun, not just dark and dreary.

I think the protagonist starts the series in a pair of boxers, he doesn't have any prepper stuff. The female lead is also well written.

Just finished "Good Fences" by Boyd Craven on Audible. It was decent commuting listening and seems like a series in the making.

I was given a copy of 'In the Heart of the Sea' for Christmas. Holy crap. I am about halfway through and I had to force myself to put it down at 4am.

Once you get into the meat of the story, the survival aspect is stunning. These poor whalers are floating on leaky boats, in the middle of the Pacific, eating salty bread and feasting on tortoises. The first hand accounts on the effects of dehydration are insane.

I just found my old Boy Scout Fieldbook. I have another one in a zip lock bag that I keep in my backpack, but I've always enjoyed reading it. Good toilet reading, too.

Finally snagged a copy of One Second After and churned through 5 chapters (>150 pages) in a few hours. Required a couple smoke breaks to contemplate and also browse for items I'm realizing I should have. Hoping to get an early start tonight and try to finish it up. I'm hooked.

Back
Top Bottom