• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

168 grain Garand load

HeadedNorth: your load is almost identical to mine. I use 44.5 gr IMR 4895 in meticulously prepped LC 69 or HXP brass (tumble-polished, head case sorted, neck chamfered, primer pocket recut, case gauged, etc). I get 2 MOA (if I’m measuring my groups correctly) in my 5 mil SG Springfield Garand that has been “accurized” within the limits of JC Garand rules.

P.S. Mountain you answered a question I was just about to pose online: if CCI #200 primers could substitute for #34’s without the risk of slam fire

I’m out of IMR 4895 and am about to try AA-2520 for the first time

Hey @BigGreen2000 , sorry just seeing this now. Not sure what was my comment but in competition (when Murphy's Law always raises its ugly head [laugh] ) I have fired thousands of rounds loaded with CCI 200's. Never a single slam fire- use with confidence. Most people I know use 200's as the 34's are more expensive and harder to find. Nothing wrong with the 34's, I just don't see the need for them.

Good to know, thanks! I just loaded some rounds with 43.5 grains AA-2520. We’ll see how that works! In terms of primers, I can’t find any brand of LR primers ANYWHERE. They must all be in Ukraine

Good to know, thanks! I just loaded some rounds with 43.5 grains AA-2520. We’ll see how that works! In terms of primers, I can’t find any brand of LR primers ANYWHERE. They must all be in Ukraine

Hold on, @BigGreen2000 -

Where are you getting load data for 2520 powder in .30-06? For 168's I do not see it listed anywhere. I like 2520 for .308 and use it in my M14 and .308 Garand but have never used it in .30-06 and don't recommend it as I don't see published load data. I see a lot of internet discussion on various forums and one post says "Accurate says 2520 is in the right pressure range for M1's" or the like, but I see zero info directly from Accurate.

The burn rate for 2520 indeed is in the middle of several known powders good for M1's, but I just don't see any .30-06 published load data with min's and max's. If you have it, please post.

I like it a lot for .308 and shot a perfect score with my M14 in slow prone at Camp Perry Nationals in the CMP Modern Military match. "They" say it is temperature sensitive but the Camp Perry weather was typical brutal summer heat and humidity. I kept my rounds out of direct sun and didn't see any issues.

burnrate2019op.png

Back
Top Bottom