• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Freedom Market in Freedom NH

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
I couldn't find an existing review thread about this place so I figured I'd start one and spread the word.

The shop is called Freedom Market, located on Route 25 East in Freedom NH, about a 1/4 mile from the Maine state line, where it borders the town of Porter.

It's run by a guy named Wayne and I've been shopping there since the mid 90's.
He and his wife run your typical Mom & Pop operation, selling food, beer, gas, hunting and fishing licenses along with the gun shop. Wayne comes off as being a bit cranky, but once you get to know him a bit, he's really a decent guy.
I haven't been in there since last September, but I was in the area last weekend and stopped by to see what was new.
His shelves aren't as well stocked as I remember last time, but he still had a decent selection of used long guns and pistols.
His prices tend to be all over the map, but some bargains can be found.
This is where I got my Marlin 1894C for $250 about 5 or 6 years ago.
I noticed he's now carrying Charter Arms revolvers and he also had several of the new Mossberg .410 pump guns. I checked one out and was surprised at how small and light they are. One thing that caught my eye was the new Ruger 10/22 Takedown with the carry case. He was asking $369 for it, which is $20 under MSRP. It's a really hot item right now and was surprised to see that he had one.
If you're in the area, it's worth checking out.
One more thing, he also sells REAL Gas without any ethanol.
I put a few gallons in my ATV and it made a big difference, it runs and idles a lot better now. [thumbsup]

I've come across this place before. I was looking for a 2nd Gen Glock 22 and he had a few. Mind you, these were used Glocks albeit in good shape but still at least 12 years old and used; he was asking $475-500, i.e. the price of a new Gen 3/4 Glock. I figured the price was a mistake or he just didn't deal with Glocks often so I tried to work on price with him but he wouldn't budge, claiming his prices were different than other shops because he had a lot of overheard or something along those lines. I really like to deal with locally owned and run gun shops but there's no way I'm paying $100-150 over the going rate for a used gen2 G22.

zappa,
Start running startron in your A.T.V. that stuff works great in my snowmobile, took away a lot of fuel issue`s .

It's a really hot item right now and was surprised to see that he had one.
I didn't note the price but B&K Sales in Natick has one, and it's right out on the sales floor so you can play with the takedown feature without even asking for help.

claiming his prices were different than other shops because he had a lot of overheard or something along those lines.
Irrelevant for anyone who understands how the free market actually works.

I went over there today, he said he won't have any more real gas until May. I was going to put some in my motorcycle.

I was up there on Saturday, he got a fill-up on REAL gas a few weeks ago.
We filled a 5 gallon jug for our ATV's and went for a ride.
It was $4.27 a gallon, but worth it for the small quantity we needed.

BTW, I had a nice conversation with the store owner Wayne Marshall, he told me he's getting ready to retire and the store is up for sale. That's the gun shop, market and gas station, which includes the residential house next door.
If anyone's looking for a turn-key business with an FFL, this looks like a good opportunity.
Located on a high traffic stretch of RT25 in Freedom NH, along the river, 1/2 mile from the Maine state line.

His current inventory is a bit low right now, but so are most gun shops.
He did have some AR's at reasonable prices, also several .22 versions, S&W's and Mossbergs.
If you're looking for Winchester 94's, he had 8 or 9 on the rack, a mix of older ones and some newer ones with the crossbolt safety. Again, the prices were reasonable.
The ammo supply was low, and no .22's to be had except for shotshells.

I told Wayne that I've seen his ads on GB, so I knew he was on the net.
I passed along the word about NES, he said he wasn't familiar with us, but he did write down the URL, so it's possible he'll be making an appearance in here sometime soon.

Update:

I just heard yesterday that Freedom Market has been closed down since September 1.

Don't know what happened with the firearm inventory.

Too bad, I liked that place and it was the best source for the ethanol free gas I liked to use in the ATV's & sleds.

I got some more info from my buddy in Effingham.
His underground tanks were coming up on their expiration date and EPA rules say they have to be excavated and removed.
Wayne either didn't have have money, or didn't want to spend it to upgrade the gas station.
Even if they don't upgrade the gas station, the tanks still have to come out, and somebody has to pay for it.

I couldn't find an existing review thread about this place so I figured I'd start one and spread the word.

The shop is called Freedom Market, located on Route 25 East in Freedom NH, about a 1/4 mile from the Maine state line, where it borders the town of Porter.

It's run by a guy named Wayne and I've been shopping there since the mid 90's.
He and his wife run your typical Mom & Pop operation, selling food, beer, gas, hunting and fishing licenses along with the gun shop. Wayne comes off as being a bit cranky, but once you get to know him a bit, he's really a decent guy.
I haven't been in there since last September, but I was in the area last weekend and stopped by to see what was new.
His shelves aren't as well stocked as I remember last time, but he still had a decent selection of used long guns and pistols.
His prices tend to be all over the map, but some bargains can be found.
This is where I got my Marlin 1894C for $250 about 5 or 6 years ago.
I noticed he's now carrying Charter Arms revolvers and he also had several of the new Mossberg .410 pump guns. I checked one out and was surprised at how small and light they are. One thing that caught my eye was the new Ruger 10/22 Takedown with the carry case. He was asking $369 for it, which is $20 under MSRP. It's a really hot item right now and was surprised to see that he had one.
If you're in the area, it's worth checking out.
One more thing, he also sells REAL Gas without any ethanol.
I put a few gallons in my ATV and it made a big difference, it runs and idles a lot better now. [thumbsup]
I remember getting excited about finding REAL gas with lead in it!

Back
Top Bottom