• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Survival Deals

If anyone has a Big Y nearby I was at the one in E.Longmeadow ( I think all stores have the same sale ) 5oz Starkist white Albacore Tunana $1 a can , Big Y pasta $.88 a box , and one prep alot of preppers over look is toothpaste . Crest 3.5 oz tubes were $1 also TP and paper towles were on sale at a fair price.

Shaws has buy 10 get 5 off on a bunch of stuff this week. Canned veggies 50 cents a can pasta sauce a buck a jar. Good deal

Thrive has a big sale going on. Freeze dried products in bags, pantry size cans, #10 cans, and buckets. Anywhere from 6% to 50% off. Their rolling can shelves are a killer deal as well. You may need to be associated with a "consultant" to get the best deals. Let me know and I can put you in touch with the one I use.

I purchased some of these about 1 1/2 years ago. I wasn't sure how well they would last considering they are made of cardboard. But, they have held up great.

The ones I made out of boxes and packing tape are going on year 2 somehow [laugh]

Last edited:
Military ECWS sleeping bag system, 2 bags plus Goretex Bivvy and stuff sack for $75 from MidwayUSA. Half what I paid from Sportsmans Guide and in better condition - the Guides had a couple small holes in the Bivvy (easy fix with Goretex patches and an Iron). I might buy some more of these myself, good to -30F and waterproof.

The sale runs till the end of the month.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/261064/military-surplus-mss-30-degree-4-piece-sleeping-bag-system

I've been looking at these for a little while now. Ebay often has them for decent prices, too. I think after Christmas I'm going to hook one up. I want to try my hand at building a snow cave in the backyard and seeing what it's like to sleep out there.

The shell is the best part. If you have a nice sleeping bag already, just buy a shell. They can be found for $30-40. A quality 0F or -20F bag in one of those is like sleeping in a furnace.

If you're going to sleep in a snow cave be sure to dig a hole for the cold air to sink into and then put pine boughs where you lay to keep your body off the snow.

snowcave.jpg

Last edited:
Military ECWS sleeping bag system, 2 bags plus Goretex Bivvy and stuff sack for $75 from MidwayUSA. Half what I paid from Sportsmans Guide and in better condition - the Guides had a couple small holes in the Bivvy (easy fix with Goretex patches and an Iron). I might buy some more of these myself, good to -30F and waterproof.

The sale runs till the end of the month.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/261064/military-surplus-mss-30-degree-4-piece-sleeping-bag-system
Thanks, I ordered that as my wife didn't have a good bag. The cover is supposed to be awesome.

There are lots of 30-45 of the different pieces for sale at some of the surplus sites, but I think they are all used to some extent.

Last edited:
Got the MidwayUSA modular sleeping system today. Shipping was $18.

They are used but in excellent condition. The four components are the Bivvy Cover, Patrol Bag, Intermediate Cold bag, and compression sack. I'm happy with the deal overall.
sleepingsystem-L.jpg

Learned via interwebz the Patrol bag is 2.2 lbs. I have a similar lightweight civilian bag (Slumberjack, around $80) and much prefer this one: foot box is roomier, zipper is much more robust, and it seems about as warm. I expect my wife will use IC bag.

Last edited:
Got the MidwayUSA modular sleeping system today. Shipping was $18.

They are used but in excellent condition. The four components are the Bivvy Cover, Patrol Bag, Intermediate Cold bag, and compression sack. I'm happy with the deal overall.
sleepingsystem-L.jpg

Thats a good system, though pretty bulky when its all together. If you pick up a woobie (poncho liner) you can handle most temperate situations with just the woobie and the bivvy sack. Don't really need the actual bags till it gets below 50, maybe 40 if your a tough guy.

I use the bivy cover with a high end 20F bag. In 20F in a tent you have to unzip the bivy a little. It's super warm.

The only downfall to the whole system is the weight. Otherwise it's awesome, especially at the price.

I spent many a night in either and sometimes both (or all three!) of those bags while I was in the Army. The thin green one is surprisingly warm, especially in the goretex liner, but the black bag is where the money is at. LOVED that guy. Spent over a year worth of nights in it.

BTW if you like the Milsurp Patrol bag, the REI 16 liter compression sack fits it perfectly. I am going to use that bag for my motorcycle camping trips instead of my civilian bag. For early or late season rallies I usually bring a woobie (AKA "green girl") anyway if it's going to be extra cold.

Back
Top Bottom