• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Survival Deals

Amateur.

You eat the CAT. The cat FOOD is to feed the cat until you need it.

That was like the second episode of Doomsday Preppers...

Cats are very inefficient digesters. Dogs eat their poop because it's still full of nutritiousness. You're going to get more bang for your buck just eating their food or sending them out to catch squirrels for you. Or just eat their poop.

Cats are very inefficient digesters. Dogs eat their poop because it's still full of nutritiousness. You're going to get more bang for your buck just eating their food or sending them out to catch squirrels for you. Or just eat their poop.

And some dogs will eat their own poop. Tastes even better the second time 'round?

Dented cans could be compromised and spoil. Better to look for sales or start home canning.

Well I dont buy opened cans. cans that have small blemish type of dents, nothing sever that would affect the contents of soup or ravioli. or boxes of pasta that the tab was ripped and re taped.

I didn't say "opened". Cans with minor belmishes are most likely fine for immediate use but anything longer and you're rolling the dice on boutlism. However the boxes of pasta you buy which have been taped were opened.

Never heard of consumer product tampering ? Tylenol in particular has had problems since the 1970's through recent times.
I haven't heard of any one tampering with pasta but the cost difference in an opened box vs an unopened box isn't worth my famlies health.

Best wishes and good luck.

I didn't say "opened". Cans with minor belmishes are most likely fine for immediate use but anything longer and you're rolling the dice on boutlism. However the boxes of pasta you buy which have been taped were opened.

Never heard of consumer product tampering ? Tylenol in particular has had problems since the 1970's through recent times.
I haven't heard of any one tampering with pasta but the cost difference in an opened box vs an unopened box isn't worth my famlies health.

Best wishes and good luck.

How does a can with a dent, that still maintains its vacuum pose a risk for botulism? Answer: They don't. That is an old wives tale

I've used dented cans 5-6 some even ten years old with no degradation and no toxicity.

Unless a can's seal is compromised, the food therein is fine.

When opening a can, place a small drop of water at the entry point of the canopener blade and watch for it to be sucked into the can as the seal is broken. If it sucks in, the food is 99.9999999% safe to eat.

You know that botulism poisoning is very, very rare right? Even extremely rare. In ten years, 263 cases......more people are killed by car accidents per hour.

In the 1800s you did not buy a dented can because the lead solder and loose joints could not stand up to the distortion and the interior plating could crack allowing rust to contaminate the food

The pull top cans you see on Campbell's soup can get compromised when they get dented.

True, that goes for any container but if they top is not compromised, the contents should be deemed useable and safe just like any other can.

I wonder how those lanterns compare to either Dietz lanterns or the $6 lanterns at Walmart? I just ordered a four pack to check them out. Four lanterns, shipped, for $20 is a nice deal. I am not a member.

They have a code for free shipping on the home page - no minimum order.

Sorry for posting this a few days later than I usually do, hadn't looked at the paper until now.

Notable Market Basket Deals this week, pretty good week:

Smuckers Grape Jelly 32oz - $1.50 (still in glass jars too)
Market Basket Brand Pasta - 79c - Very good deal, particularly if you missed the Prince sale. Stick it in Mylar.
Healthy Choice Soups - $1 - Important sale if you have a sodium sensitivity and can't eat a lot of canned soup
Jenni-O Turkeys - 59c/lb - Limit 2

Market Basket 24 pack Double Roll TP - $9.99
Market Basket 12 pack Paper Towels - $9.99

I usually back up the truck when this paper sale happens, occurs maybe once a year... I only buy these at these times... that's $4 off TP and $5 the paper towls. Not really a survival item but saves a fortune on ass paper. I keep between 1-2 years worth stacked in the basement, doesn't take much space.

Last edited:
Shit week at Market Basket coming up..

But Progresso Meat soups are 4 for $5, which is about 50% off.

Thanks Hiltonizer!

Hey Cowgirl - if these blankets aren't great - what do you recommend?
I've been planning on a sleeping bag and a Grabber Emergency Space Blanket, but welcome input.

A wool blanket is great to have around the house, but it can be tough to find a good one at a reasonable price. You want one with a high % wool, not the cheaper synthetic blends that are only half wool or less.

Space blanket is a good portable item, but avoid the ones that are just a mylar sheet. Those are flimsy and tend to tear easily. Get one that has a couple of bonded layers. I found mine at Target a couple of years ago for not much $. Not sure if WalMart carries the better ones.

I got my four pack of lanterns in the mail today. They are small. Here's a photo of a Dietz Blizzard, a Walmart lantern, and the Guide Gear lantern on the right.

I haven't unwrapped one yet, but they seem to be comparable in quality to the Walmart lanterns. So, $5 for a lantern that is a little smaller than a $6 lantern of similar quality. Not a stupendous deal, but nothing to complain about either.

Walking through Market Basket today and they ran a 50% off a bunch of bakery items for those of you who like Trans Fats and sugars

Really dumb question. Is the purpose of lanterns more than just light? Do they produce enough heat to be of any value?

My thinking is that LED lights are so power efficient that you can easily produce more light in a smaller and more transportable package. Sure you need batteries, but there are wind up units, solar powered units. There are also some very nice solar/AA/AAA chargers available for less money than a lantern....all very portable.

I can even stock up on batteries for many year of light and be able to transport them easily. This is not true of fuel based lanterns.

Whats the deal? What am I missing?

I got my four pack of lanterns in the mail today. They are small. Here's a photo of a Dietz Blizzard, a Walmart lantern, and the Guide Gear lantern on the right.

I haven't unwrapped one yet, but they seem to be comparable in quality to the Walmart lanterns. So, $5 for a lantern that is a little smaller than a $6 lantern of similar quality. Not a stupendous deal, but nothing to complain about either.

Really dumb question. Is the purpose of lanterns more than just light? Do they produce enough heat to be of any value?

My thinking is that LED lights are so power efficient that you can easily produce more light in a smaller and more transportable package. Sure you need batteries, but there are wind up units, solar powered units. There are also some very nice solar/AA/AAA chargers available for less money than a lantern....all very portable.

I can even stock up on batteries for many year of light and be able to transport them easily. This is not true of fuel based lanterns.

Whats the deal? What am I missing?

It's certainly a valid question, as we should be able to analyze each light source in terms of economy, safety, portability, long-term viability, etc...

I can't say that I have done any of these. My gut tells me that these lanterns are certainly cheap up front, and they are much cheaper to run as compared to traditional incandescent battery lamps. LEDs probably do have the advantage in terms of operating costs, but I imagine they are much costlier up front.

I happen to like the light given off by lanterns, and we really enjoy playing board games by lantern when the power goes out. They can give off a ton of light, or they can be turned down as low as you want.

I don't know if the heat given off is very significant. I bought one of the Dietz 'Cooker' lanterns to see if a dual-purpose unit would be useful. I posted a review of it on this board. As a cooker, it was pretty weak. I think it took me 30 minutes or more to boil a cup of water. Maybe longer, I don't really remember.

I have to think that somebody, somewhere, has done a formal analysis of different light sources, and could tell you what it costs to run an oil lantern vs. a propane lantern vs. a battery lantern vs. candles.

It's a good question.

It's been my experience these kerosene lanters don't give out much more light than a candle or two and they give off about the same for heat. I've switched over to propane single mantle lantern heads which screw directly onto a 1lb propane cylinder. Wal-Mart was selling them a couple years ago and they might have a similar product available now.

I"ve been refilling the dead cylinders from a 20 lb tank from an adapter for a couple years now and the refilled ones haven't leaked yet.

So why do I prefer the propane ? They put out enough light to read by, something I can't do very well with candles or oil lanterns.

YMMV.

The quality might "look" similar but the Dietz is WAY better than the other two, Just wait until you start to use them. I'll give the lesser two a week before the founts start to leak or a weld brakes etc... The Dietz are considered good quality lanterns and are the biggest source of light in the world. I don't know where I read that but it was true at the time I read it and might be still true today. If you want the best tubular lantern made today look at the W.T. Kirkman line of lanterns. Their Dietz copy's but with heaver sheet metal and pressed globes. I think there the best available.

The quality might "look" similar but the Dietz is WAY better than the other two, Just wait until you start to use them. I'll give the lesser two a week before the founts start to leak or a weld brakes etc... The Dietz are considered good quality lanterns and are the biggest source of light in the world. I don't know where I read that but it was true at the time I read it and might be still true today. If you want the best tubular lantern made today look at the W.T. Kirkman line of lanterns. Their Dietz copy's but with heaver sheet metal and pressed globes. I think there the best available.

Oh, I know the Dietz is better than the other two. I was just comparing the quality of the Walmart lantern to the Sportsman's Guide lantern. The Dietz was just in the photo for size comparison.

I've got two of the Walmart lanterns that have been filled with fuel for about two years, used occasionally, and have not leaked at all yet.

I'll check out Kirkman. I could always use one more lantern.

Last year, around this time, Lehman's had the Dietz Blizzards on sale for about $9 each. I bought a case of them and gave them out as Christmas presents. I keep watching their site for this year's sale.

It's been my experience these kerosene lanters don't give out much more light than a candle or two and they give off about the same for heat. I've switched over to propane single mantle lantern heads which screw directly onto a 1lb propane cylinder. Wal-Mart was selling them a couple years ago and they might have a similar product available now.

I"ve been refilling the dead cylinders from a 20 lb tank from an adapter for a couple years now and the refilled ones haven't leaked yet.

So why do I prefer the propane ? They put out enough light to read by, something I can't do very well with candles or oil lanterns.

YMMV.
Propane also stores longer without going bad than most fuels

Back
Top Bottom