1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Hoisting License!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sputa Arms, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Sputa Arms

Sputa Arms Member

Looking to see if any NES'ers have their hoisting license.. I have to get mine but having a difficult time finding all the right info... Is it a class, then a test like my LTC?.. Is there a book to go through or do you go in blind and take a test?..I know all of my hand signals and have been operating machines on and off for a few years but as far as literature, im so confused..

Any info would be greatly appreciated..

Thank you in advance!

2. FhvnLT4A

FhvnLT4A Member

I have my 1C/2A. When I took it about 10 years ago, I applied for the test, paid the fee, and took it. I did get some kind of study guide, but I cant even being to remember. Try MA.gov and look under there for hoisting operator. Definitly know your hand signals, and know how to operate a forklift safely.... center of gravity and where it moves was a few questions as i recall.

3. Sputa Arms

Sputa Arms Member

Thanks, I have been looking in ma.gov. The site only tells you to look through osha and digsafe website for study info there is pages and pages of random info not really narrowed down... I guess I am looking for some sort of class that will prepare you for the test..

4. Silver74

Silver74 Member

Pm inbound.

5. Jayvs

Jayvs Member

I have a 1b-2b HE license. Got it about 15 years ago from petersons. Back then it cost 350 for the class and test. Not sure what the cost is now but I believe they still do the class.

6. Kicker96FS

Kicker96FS NES Member

This is required watching for fork truck safety!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2017 at 6:20 PM
    1 person likes this.
  7. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

That's some funny stuff. Those wacky Germans could give Benny Hill a run for his money.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2017 at 6:20 PM
  8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Moderator

RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
    A license to pick things up....amazing.

Do you need another one to put it back down?

9. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

Speaking of the DOT, I just got notified by NH that I have to provide a copy of my medical card to NH DOT under a new federal mandate, no health card, they pull your CDL.

10. SML7318

SML7318 Member

11. rudiewhitebwoy

rudiewhitebwoy NES Member

They way I understand it, you can operate just about anything on private property. When that property is open to the public that's when you must be properly licensed. Last time I renewed my license they sent my renewal back, I needed to send a copy of my DOT Medical card. I'm used to just mailing them in and never read the new requirement. I've had my 1C/2B for about twenty years. I took a written test at the Tewsksbury State Hospital, no study guide, they were all just common sense questions. I'm sure that's changed.

12. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

This is the MA press release on the DOT Health Card impending disaster. NOTE failure to jump through the hoops every 2 years and they will pull your CDL

http://transportation.blog.state.ma...commercial-drivers-medical-certification.html

This federal change aims to better enforce medical qualification and fitness standards of CDL operators and calls on states to add US DOT Medical Certificate information to the driver’s record for better access by other jurisdictions and law enforcement. This will help insure that CDL operators are medically sound to operate and improve road safety.

Failure to self-certify by January 30, 2014 will result in the downgrade of one’s Commercial Driver’s License to a Class D license. Self-certifications must be renewed at least every two-years. US DOT Medical Certificates must be kept up to date and on file with the Registry of Motor Vehicles.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  13. Billsail

Billsail NES Member

The test I took at the Tewksbury State Hospital was a written test with essay questions. No multiple choice to sort of jog your memory, and it definitely was more than common sense questions. For example: If you are excavating a trench, how many feet away from the trench, must you keep the excavated materials, and at what depth is a trenchbox required. Most were questions like this that required specific answers.

I did have study materials that I think I got from the Department of Public Safety. I can't remember exactly, it was a hundred years ago.

14. cekim

cekim NES Member

All set then, in this state, we are all cultivating Soylent Green.