• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

16 Gauge Iver Johnson

Yes, you can get 16 gauge shells still.

I'd try it with some light loads first, like trap loads or something. Do you know what "choke" it has?

I'm interested if you might ever feel you want to get rid of it.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Can anyone help me determine a vintage for this? I am guessing around 1956.

On the left
Champion
IVER JOHNSON'S ARMS & CYCLE WORKS
FICHBURG MASS U.S.A.

On the top of the barrel:
-16 GAUGE CHOKE BORE BARREL AND LUG FORGED IN ONE

Behind the trigger guard
RBXF

Thanks
Mike

Googled this for you:
Phorum :: Shotguns :: iver johnson single barrel serial numbers
"iver johnson single barrel serial numbers

Posted by: Anonymous User (IP Logged)
Date: January 07, 2009 10:36AM

during the 1940's and 1950's iver johnson used letters only in the serial numbers on their single barrel Champion shotguns. there have been several posts here and on other forums as to what these letters mean. thanks to the help of a former employee of iver johnson mr. ray chatigny i now have the key to these letters. mr. chatigny started at iver johnson in 1954 and worked there until 1961 when he moved to Harrington & Richardson. he stayed with H&R until his retirement in 2004. mr. chatigny has informed me that when he first started at iver johnson one of his jobs was to serial numbering champion single barrel shotguns (by hand stamping these letters). the key to the letters seems to be the word FITCHBURG and until some factory documentation comes along to prove otherwise i am going to have to believe what he says is truthful. everyone of the shotguns with the letters only serial number i have recorded in my research also seems to verify the key word FITCHBURG was used along with X=0. here is the key;
F=1
I=2
T=3
C=4
H=5
B=6
U=7
R=8
G=9
X=0

mr. chatigny has been a big help in my H&R research and now he has added knowledge about iver johnson, for which i thank him.
bill"
White Feather

Looks like an Iver Johnson "Champion" to me. I have one in 12 gauge that is both fool proof and fail proof. I even had it threaded for Rem Chokes but in so doing lost the front bead so I put a slip on fiber optic firesight that works great. I've been looking for a 20 gauge to be a companion. Likely value is $75 to $125 plus or minus. I've found those older vintage guns to be of higher quality than the newer H&Rs. By the way those letters are the serial numbers for the gun. If you do a Google search on "Iver Johnson Champion serial number "you easily find the code for determining year of manufacture. Nice gun! Enjoy it and shoot safely!!

Hi all first post,My iver 16 guage has FRXH that would make mine 1805 if this key (fitchburgx) is correct,So im thinking it is flawed.

Hi all first post,My iver 16 guage has FRXH that would make mine 1805 if this key (fitchburgx) is correct,So im thinking it is flawed.

Would that make it number 1805 from when they started this method? So sometime in the 40's?

a>
trying to upload a pic . Anyone know what the FD stands for?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom