Real or Fake; M1 Carbine Stock Magazine Pouch...

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
I got a stock pouch for the M1 carbine the other day. The GB add stated "Original New USGI M1 Carbine Stock Pouch Unissued, DM, WWII.". It looks too nice to be an original; it was certainly a chore to get it on the stock. I had to dismount the action and put it on from the fore-end. Lucky I covered the stud with a piece of duct tape; I had to really wriggle it onto the end of the stock to get the stud to drop into the sling cut out.

Didn't spend all that much, but this seems to me a reproduction at the price I paid? Auction link below.

Comments?

015-2.jpg

016-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

018-1.jpg

019-1.jpg

020-1.jpg

021-1.jpg

022.jpg

023-1.jpg

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=280771916

MS

Forgot to mention, pouch has NO odor whatsoever.

Last edited:
was a real contractor, though looks mint makes me a lil suspicious. though looking at its construction, looks legit to me as the fakes ive seen have slightly different construction, and usually arnt marked with that perticular contractor. Also the give away is how the S is lower than the H. al D/M marked ones that I know are legit original are marked same way.

FWIW, can buy original pouches for 15-30 bucks

Also id take a knife and cut the snap off, as tape wont protect the stock well. its what I did to mine, and makes it easier to slip on and off. all stock pouches go on by taking action out.

Last edited:
It is too well made to be fake.Look at stitches on real one, it is strong well made to last. the fake one is thin too weak of a stitch to last in military use. Picture is of fake one.

Attachments

• thumb3.jpg
    thumb3.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
The mags appear to just fit, which IMO new production mag pouch. The original the mags sit down further. Also the stitching looks different.

I bought one very similar a few years back and then sold it at a show for 2 bucks I was so pissed. I told the buyer it was not original and it was for ten round mags. The ten round mags fit perfectly.

I also suggest you take it off the stock. Don't take any chances in marking up your stock. God knows it hard to find a correct stock these days.

Last edited:
The mags appear to just fit, which IMO new production mag pouch. The original the mags sit down further. Also the stitching looks different.

I bought one very similar a few years back and then sold it at a show for 2 bucks I was so pissed. I told the buyer it was not original and it was for ten round mags. The ten round mags fit perfectly.

I also suggest you take it off the stock. Don't take any chances in marking up your stock. God knows it hard to find a correct stock these days.

I dismounted the action and slipped it on over the fore-end of the stock. I covered the stud with a square of duct tape; the stud is inside the sling cut-out and I did not mark the stock. The stock itself is an unmarked ROK replacement M2 style.

I cross posted on the American forum on GB; 6:1 say original.

MS

I dismounted the action and slipped it on over the fore-end of the stock. I covered the stud with a square of duct tape; the stud is inside the sling cut-out and I did not mark the stock. The stock itself is an unmarked ROK replacement M2 style.

I cross posted on the American forum on GB; 6:1 say original.

MS

Then why in Gods name did you ask if they were real?
I still believe they are repros. Unless they were stored in a vacuum container since 1943.

Take a look at the color of the canvas on these http://wing.chez-alice.fr/USA/US_equipment.html

Last edited:
My original opinion was that I didn't think it was real; looking for an education. Just sitting back and listening to the opinions. Average between the two boards is 4:1 for.

There is a great information sticky at the top of GB American forum.

MS

My original opinion was that I didn't think it was real; looking for an education. Just sitting back and listening to the opinions. Average between the two boards is 4:1 for.

There is a great information sticky at the top of GB American forum.

MS

OK I give up, just an FYI. The shop I work for bought 20 of the exact mag pouches you have. The distributor told us up front they were reproductions. So that's 20 for 20.

If yo want to think they are original that's great, if there not that's ok too. But if memory serves me you also said your last 1903 was original from a guys grandfather.

Enjoy your rifle, get to the range and have fun. As to the mag pouch, OK they are original. UNCLE

Back
Top Bottom