1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Anyone ride a 250?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nightpoison, Apr 5, 2012.

1. nightpoison

nightpoison NES Member

So I'm new to motorcycles, and I'm really looking for a low cost commuter bike. I'm looking at a Cbr250r or a ninja 250r. The cost fits my budget $4k, insurance is right on as well. Ill only be going less than 5 miles a day for work. So a 600cc bike is over kill. I will eventually but being new and budget this is where I'm at.

Between the 2 bikes what do you suggest?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

2. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

Get a scooter or something big. Distance doesn't matter to me. You want to have enough power to evade trouble. Or, go the scooter route, they'll laugh just as hard if you get the 250.

3. jmh992003

jmh992003 Member

I would look at the ex500 from Kawasaki. Not a huge power boost over the 250, but I think youd feel more comfortable on it if you did want to do more than just a commute. Its a Vtwin so it doesnt make near the power of an inline 4cyl 600 cc bike its great to learn on, light weight and affordable.

4. willbdavis

willbdavis Member

Most of us started on small bikes. Buy what feels right to you. Upgrade if/when you feel the need.

For me I like to go distance and explore the back roads of New England and beyond. So I needed a bigger bike.

If economy is the reason buy a scooter. Cheap, sips gas, reliable.

5. SJan

SJan NES Member

My first 'street' bike was a 250 duel sport. It was terribly underpowered for street riding. After a week on 2 wheels you will wish you went with something bigger

6. FrankSpencer

FrankSpencer Member

My first bike

thumbnail.jpg

7. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

you will out grow that 250 in weeks, do yourself a favor and go 500cc or larger.

Nothing worse than being 4 weeks into bike ownership and wanting out of a bike you are going to be upside down on

PS do not buy from Greater Boston Motorsports in Arlington, or North Reading Honda/Kawi, I have had terrible experiences with them

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  8. marvelshooter

marvelshooter Banned

You have to decide whats right for you but I agree a 250 will get small real quick. There are a lot of mid size v-twins out there that are very mild mannered and easy to ride yet highway capable when you are ready.

9. LuvDog

LuvDog NES Member

The EX 500 is a great suggestion. It's got a good following and has a good class for racing too if you keep it.

Personally, I'd love one of the new CBR 250's. It looks like fun to rip around on locally.

If I had one... I'd probably ride it more than my other bikes.

10. dhuze

dhuze NES Member

An island surrounded by land on three sides
    I have to agree with everyone here. The EX500 is a great little bike. My friend bought one for his girlfriend to learn and ride on. He took it out for a ride when he got it home and when he came back he said. "You gotta try this thing out". So I took it for a ride. Holy crap! Was that thing fun to ride. It's light and nimble, and it's relatively quick without being over powerful like todays bigger bikes. You would be happier with it than a 250 in the long run.

11. loki32687

loki32687 NES Member

Do you have any sort of riding experience?

Also, if you are a bigger person, I would highly advise a larger bike. I'm ~6' 260lbs and my 600 was too small size wise for me and I upgraded to a 900 this season. Gave me a taller and longer bike.

12. mike93lx

mike93lx Member

Take the rider safety course before buying a bike.

Buying a 250 for a first bike will absolutely, without a doubt, make you a better rider.

1 person likes this.
  13. Rider

Rider Member

+1 on all of this

My wife wants a bike, and we have argued over the Ninja. IMHO, one of two things will happen: either she'll love it and need something bigger in a month, or she'll hate riding and it will be money wasted.

My advice would be to find a decent used mid-sized bike, or if you must buy a 250, pick up a cheap on for $1500, save your money, and get bigger when you have some experience. I saw a few decent looking beginner bikes on Craigslist this past week. You'll also save on tax and insurance if you do this. If her height wasn't an issue, I'd buy her a mid-sized used sport or dual-sport type bike and ride it for her. ;p

FYI, my first bike was a Ninja 600. Was it too much? Maybe, but I grew into it pretty quick. I don't necessarily disagree with Mike93 on getting a 250 if you ride in a vacuum, but on the streets of MA, I don't think a 250 is enough unless you never go on the highway or into heavy traffic. The other people on the road are trying to kill you, and you need enough bike to aggressively drive defensively once you have the skill to do so.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  14. NHKevin

NHKevin NES Member

If you want something on the sporty side for a beginner that will continue to serve you well for a couple years, look at an SV-650.

15. Sportsman11669

Sportsman11669 Member

My first bike was a Ninja 650R. Good bike for me to start on, but I outgrew it fast. I can only imagine if I had started with a 250, I would have outgrown it the day after I bought it.

16. jamesvt

jamesvt Member

I own a 2009 Ninja 250 and have a little over 5,000 miles on it. I'm not sick of the power, but then again I do very little highway riding. The bike is rideable on the highway but is at high revs and doesn't have really any passing power after 75mph. If you plan on riding on the highway regularly get a Ninja 500, SV650 FZ6R etc. Even though it's only a 250 and one of the slower bikes out there it is still far quicker around town and on the back roads than the average car on the road. I don't know your size but I'm 5'10 175 and fit pretty comfortable on it.

17. JohnMarston

JohnMarston Member

get yourself a used super motard and have the damn thing done son. they look great, have decent power, and you wont get laughed at! Furthermore, the motards are tunable so when you decide to yourself "hey self, i want more power!" a nice head pipe, mid, and silencer, tuned management computer (or jetted carb) and an intake. Wake it right up.

Dom

18. jobowker

jobowker Member

Between the two? Ninja 250's are everywhere. I bought a used one as a starter bike for $2000, rode it for a year, and then sold it for $1900. They are less than optimal on the highway, but it can be done. Keep in mind that at only 250cc's, when you are driving at 80mph, the little engine is howling at about 13,000 rpm, which can over long distances start to numb vinnie & the twins.

That said, they are very easy to ride, very forgiving, easily serviced, widely available, and commuting back and forth to work I averaged 75 mpg.

Both bikes are around 350 lbs. Both handle very well. both are around 250 cc's. Both are liquid cooled. The ninja was recently redesigned.

1) The ninja is a parallel twin where the honda is a single cylinder thumper. At low rpm's under load, the feel of only one cylinder providing oomph once every four strokes is different, along with a slight "unbalanced" feel of a single. Not a huge deal, but still a small advantage towards the ninja.
    2) The ninja 250's were carbed, but I'm not sure if they finally brought over the fuel injected version that other countries have been enjoying. Not a huge deal, but still a small advantage towards the honda.
    3) I believe the new honda have ABS. Never had it, so I really can't comment on it.

They are close enough that if a really good deal came up on either one, that would be the deciding factor. With all other things being equal, I'd pick the ninja due to abundance, easy to buy & sell, and familiarity.

19. jobowker

jobowker Member

I hear this all the time that people will outgrow a 250 in short time. I completely disagree. Your EGO can often outgrow a bike quickly. I have a friend who has owned over 30 bikes in his lifetime, and if you ask him what his most fun bike was, he remembers his old ninja 250. A 250 is way more forgiving, and when you make a mistake (and you'll make plenty of mistakes in the first 10,000 miles of driving) it's a lot easier to recover when it's done on a 250.

Even if you decide to trade up later, which I did, you will lose very little if you bought a used 250 for a good price to start with. I sold mine for $100 less than I bought it for.

1 person likes this.
  20. Business

Business Member

I have had this thought as well, I use to have a bike but sold it but now want a new one. I have seen some nice bikes in my price range but being 250's my concern is lack of power. more than likely i would never be on the highway. My last bike was a 500 and had plenty PLENTY of power. I am hoping I can take the 250 for a test drive to see if it would be enough power for me. just looking to cruise around don't need to win any races but i do want to be able to get out of my own way