• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

US Army Bayonet My Modern Day "Bringback" from China!!!!

You have to understand, we are talking Americans from the 1940s, They had pride in thier work and there was a very high quality control.The overall stamping is to small for A F H.Each company that made the bayonets had a certain flaming bomb. The one on your bayonet is all wrong,take a good look at the flames that is not worn it is the way it was stamped.So you have a fake or a very rare stamped bayonet. I am glad you are not taking this the wrong way, I just know a few people that are sitting on what they thought where rare JAP. NCO swords and found they where just Chinese copies.

Patron, Each to his own opinion. Unless you tell me you collect bayonets and have for a number of years, i am with Martin08 on this one. you would need the tinfoil hat award to really believe someone would go to these lengths in this village. I have the bayo in my hands. the patina, the rust, the look the smell of age. I believe it is real and frankly it does not matter anyway. i don't collect bayonets. i am sure someone in this thread would give me twice what i paid for it right now.. I understand fakes and if someone had tried to sell me a $200 bayonet at a gunshow that is one thing. This village wasn't selling military collectables anywhere else (or anywhere in china for that matter that i have seen)

IF you look on Gunbroker you will see squared off areas around the stamp that you or jason referred to as grinding. I think i also saw similar flames, but hey they could be fakes too.

As far as high quality worksman ship, have you ever heard of the 1955 double struck penny? Sometimes stuff happens. And in a war effort some details are not important. Why do so many M1 garands not have matching parts? The US government saw no value in it when they did a rebuid. They just threw the parts in the bin and refurbished. IF your turning out bayonets 24X7, do you really think they are going to melt them down because the stamp broke? or would they possibly just get a new stamp from a sister manufacturer? who knows? You do have me curious enough that i will bring it to the concord gun show next week. if i see someone that seems to know something I will ask. Not because i believe it to be a fake, but to understand the stampings a little more.

http://www.coinsite.com/content/faq/1955dd.asp

http://www.coinsite.com/content/faq/1955dd.asp

40cal, dude, I don't think that it's about money because it's a cool story either way. I'm kind of with Patron on this:

There are many Chinese knock-off that just don't make any friggin sense and there is an entire website on funny Engrish;
toy.jpg

there is no limit on making fakes, valuable or not. If someone could sell it somewhere, Chinese would make it.

The other thing is, they are probably not made in the village but could have been brought, traded from somewhere else, ... if it's indeed a fake.

I'd really love to get to the bottom of this story, I don't care fake or not, money whatever, I just want to know what's the deal. At this point, I think that it may be fake. It would be very cool to look at the marks themselves with a microscope and do more research to see if any similar marked bayos have surfaced.

To be clear I'm not saying it's fake, just that it doesn't quite look like others that I've seen. Like I said I'm no expert.

And I'm glad that no one has taken my opinion the wrong way, and it is just an opinion based mostly on the entire design of the bayonet.

A very clear pic of the stamp might go a long way, here, much like the examples that are posted. But take a look at the three AFH bayonets in the pictures. All have different bomb flames. Flat bottomed U's and rounded U's. Skewed 4, and straight 4. Tall S, and squat S.....

It will be interesting to hear from the experts, though.

I bought a Chinese fake at 1/3 the going rate. Not a bayonet...I won't say what it was, but it had me fooled. I was sure it was legit when I purchased it, and embarrassed later, when I found out it was a copy. It was a learning experience. The Chinese are very skilled in the art of forgery, and sometimes will fool the experts. And they will copy ANYTHING!

I have no idea if your bayonet is the real deal, or not, but considering what you paid, you still got a bargain.

For $35 it was worth the risk. I just passed on a UHF 1943 16 inch with canvas bayonet for $150 because I thought it might be a fake. I am still not sure at this point. But at $150, even if real was a good price, was just too much money to take a chance. I studied up on it and went back to take a better look ready to buy it if it checked out and it was gone. So I will never know for sure. But at $35, what the heck.... if it is a fake it is worth $35.

Now before I get jumped on, 40 caliber real or fake it is a nice looking bayonet with a very interesting story and you did not pay much for it. This is not an attack on you, I just wanted to know if the bayonet was real or not.This info could help other collectors know what to look for.I showed the pictures to a few experts and right off they told me that the markings where not real A F H. The next thing they told me, which I found interesting was that the 10 inch bayonet was not made until 1943, before then the longer bayonets where cut down, so the blood grove would be to the end of the blade.

Now before I get jumped on, 40 caliber real or fake it is a nice looking bayonet with a very interesting story and you did not pay much for it. This is not an attack on you, I just wanted to know if the bayonet was real or not.This info could help other collectors know what to look for.I showed the pictures to a few experts and right off they told me that the markings where not real A F H. The next thing they told me, which I found interesting was that the 10 inch bayonet was not made until 1943, before then the longer bayonets where cut down, so the blood grove would be to the end of the blade.

I have received similar feedback from another board putting the origin in suspect. Thanks

Seriously has to be the longest thread about a $32 bayonet ever!

For $32, who cares! Either you got a cool trophy or a cool story about how someone went to HUGE lengths to "fake" a $32 item

Real of fake I think it is cool as hell and the story makes it much cooler . Finding it and buying for 32 bucks on the other side of the world I wouldn't care if it was made from plastic it still is a nice addition to your milsurp collection. Thank you for sharing 40 caliber

I'd chip in a few buck to pay your buddy to go back and get the full story from the old lady. Even if it's fake, it's pretty interesting to find out why and where it was made.

Back
Top Bottom