1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

US Army Bayonet My Modern Day "Bringback" from China!!!!

Discussion in 'Mil Surp Collectors' started by 40 caliber, Apr 5, 2012.

1. 40 caliber

40 caliber NES Member

Some of you that know me, know I travel to China for business on a regular basis. I just got back today from a 3 week tour. This time instead of rushing home, I had a friend take me away from the city of Shanghai and into more of "real China". I was for 3 days the only foreigner (non asian) guy to be seen.

We ended up in this small village in the province of Anhui. a beautiful area with jagged mountains, old villages and very poor people. This particular village is a little touristy but mostly visited only by Chinese. While walking through the city, i come across a bayonet marked with the U.S. Ordnance Bomb!!! I know nothing about bayonets other than CMP had M1 Garand Bayos for sale for $65 or so.

I pick up the bayonet and see it is marked 1942 with a Bomb on the hilt as well as the manufacturer AFH. (which turns out to be American Fork and Hoe). I buy it and look it up in my 3 year old Military firearms book. It says it is a Model 1942 for a 1903 Springfield. (experts weigh in if I am wrong-please) The book says it is valued at $200-$350!! Not bad since I only paid 200 chinese yuan ($32)

I have pictures, the chinese newspaper it was wrapped in and my plane ticket back from Shanghai. I dont know how that rates for Provenance but anyone got an idea if and how much it adds to value? Either way, it is a great story!!!!

One other thing? How did it get to China? We had some forces in shanghai prior to WWII with the french , Japanese and Russians I believe, but any other thoughts? Could it be from Vietnam, some war trophy from the other side from a fallen US soldier? i guess we won't know.
    At least it is home now.......Enjoy

the town where I found it.

[​IMG]

The table and lady I bargained with. She wanted $50

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Prize!!!! Note the Chinese newspaper

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. PATRON

PATRON NES Member

Nice find but the Chinese scare me, because they are very good at making fakes

3. 40 caliber

40 caliber NES Member

you think this is a fake? no i dont think so. aged Patina, rust, only one she had. If it was a fake, I would be seeing thousands of these in my trips around China. everybody sells the same crap. This was a first.

4. Dradian

Dradian Member

At $32, I think its worth the risk

5. PATRON

PATRON NES Member

I did not say it is a fake. but the Chinese are very good at making fakes with rust and all.

6. ccm75

ccm75 NES Member

Very cool.....

7. Maninblue1861

Maninblue1861 NES Member

Is blade full 16" or cut to 10"?. Either way $32 a steal. FWIW looks legit to me as it looks like mine

8. 40 caliber

40 caliber NES Member

No but your comment insinuates it. I have been going to China for 4 years. I have a total of over 350 days in country. I have seen fake rolex's , cartier's gucci bags, NFL Patriot jersey, DVDs, fake terra cotta warriors and a slew of other stuff. This is the first time to see this in a small remote village in the middle of no where. When it comes to fakes you find them on every corner...and some place where they can get big money from the Laoweis (foreigners).... but hey ,,,, no worries. each to their own opnion.

It is 10" . were these cut down by the service? the plastic scabbard fits the 10"

1 person likes this.
  9. nheric

nheric Member

cool find and awesome story.

10. mark056

mark056 NES Member

There were U.S. Forces in China in WWII as well as considerable military aid (remember the supply of China) "flying over the hump"...the fact that it showed up there is really neat, but not remarkable. If only that bayonet could talk. We also did military aid packages for Chiang Kai -shek after the war until he was driven off the mainland in 1949.

Since we did so many military aid packages in the WWII era and post WWII era, one can find US military equipment virtually everywhere in the world.

Congrats on a great find.

1 person likes this.
  11. martin08

martin08 Member

Show us a picture of the tip. If the blood groove extends into the tip edge, then it is cut down from a 16" blade.

12. Boris

Boris Son of Kalashnikov NES Member

I'd think it's unlikely that something like this would be faked for variety reasons.

In terms of origin, actually there were tons of US goods and weapons that were shipped to all allies in the WWII. A lot of airplanes and tanks were even shipped packed with coats and personal side arms, you just had to drop people in. Since China was on our side, it's not surprising. The firearms would be confiscated or gone, but bayonet would be really useful. I bet that the lady does not even know what that bayonet is or even what any of the marks/letters are. It's just a really cool knife. It's a great find and whatever you discover, it was an awesome buy that would keep you occupied with research. Very nice!

1 person likes this.
  13. 40 caliber

40 caliber NES Member

[​IMG]

i am assuming the groove on the side (that does not extend) is the blood groove?????

14. JuergenG

JuergenG NES Member

Nice find, and a bargain on top.
    BTW, you have mail.

15. MA_Shooter

MA_Shooter Member

Cool find and great story!

16. martin08

martin08 Member

That is not cut down from a 16" blade, and it is the real deal, down to the serrated plastic grips. Not uncommon, for the M1 Garand, but will fit a 1903.

Worth the coin, and the story adds flair. Really cool stuff.

17. chinalfr

chinalfr NES Member

Good find !!! Rarely you can find anything from US in Mainland china. Not even fake military items, unless it's LV, Versace, or Rolex.

Look like you were in the small village where they filmed Tom Cruise mission impossible. [wink]

The exchange rate for RMB seems to be inflated a lot. Used to be 7.7 RMB : 1 US.

Sent from my iPhone 5.

18. majspud

majspud NES Member

Cool. Half price CMP. I haven't been quite able to swallow $65 yet for one. Saving my $$ for a BIG purchase at the end of the summer.

MS

PS: Next time you're in country, look for one for me!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  19. samandglove1

samandglove1 Member

You picked it up for about half price, if you are just comparing it to the CMP bayonets. But local gun shows are still asking (and getting) about $100 for bayonets in lesser quality than yours. Also, the CMP bayos that are being sold now are mostly the Greek returns that are parked black and have additional numbers stamped.
    Bayonets like yours were also still used by our troops in the Korean War. It wouldn't be a stretch to discover that it came off the rifle of one of our troops who fought against the North Koreans & Chinese.

I think you have found a very nice specimen that any collector would like to own. I'm glad you brought it home.

20. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman NES Door Greeter

That is just awesome, thanks for bringing it home with you and sharing with us.