• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

dispatching animals

Hiltonizer

Banned
I hate to think of the numerous reasons one might have to quickly dispatch an animal, especially after my dog got hit by a car last year (fortunately not fatal, he made a full recovery and did more damage to the car than it did to him... appropriately his name is Moose)

But, I've given consideration to purchasing a hog for the freezer. For pricing purposes, it wouldn't be of slaughtering age at time of purchase, so I would need to do it myself at some point. From what I've read, the most humane way is a round (greater than .22lr, apparently that's not 100%) to the back of the head.

I live on an acre, in small town where the average lot is either an acre or just slightly larger than... so definitely no 300' clearances. I don't think the neighbors would bitch or even notice since I live less than a mile from Country Pond.. but you never know and I'm not a gambler. Does anyone know if this is explicitly allowed/disallowed in the RSA's anywhere? If not, is there any precedent? If explicitly allowed, I would be comfortable notifying the PD in advance to avoid wasting their time on a possible call. I would call and ask them, but I subscribe to the doctrine that the worst person to ask about the law is a cop.

First things first. Stop thinking like a MA captive. It is not need nor wanted here in NH. Leave it on THAT side of the border.

Now, as far as your situation is concerned, go down to your local PD and ask. They will tell you excatly what you need to do or not do. Really, it's that simple.

From what I've read, the most humane way is a round (greater than .22lr, apparently that's not 100%) to the back of the head.

Specifically, to the soft spot behind the ear, pointed toward the brain. The center of the back of the skull is very hard. This is experience talking ;)

Well since you now live in NH you can go out and buy a suppressor for your .45. It will be quiet enough that the neighbors won't hear it so you won't bother them and no one will call the cops over hearing a loud gunshot within 300' of their house. Considering the wait for a suppressor (about 4 months according to Belmont firing line and range), you should have it well before the hog reaches slaughtering age.

Talk to your neighbors and you won't have to talk to the cops.

Better yet, tell your neighbors "Hey, we're having a pig roast on Saturday, hope you can make it! Oh, there may be a little shooting - bunch of guys from this internet forum are coming, and we gotta dispatch the pig..." [smile]

Better yet, tell your neighbors "Hey, we're having a pig roast on Saturday, hope you can make it! Oh, there may be a little shooting - bunch of guys from this internet forum are coming, and we gotta dispatch the pig..." [smile]

HAH! best idea yet.

I did some more googling, and while I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for... there is a statement in the RSA's saying shots fired less than 300 feet from an occupied dwelling or in a compact area need written permission from the governing body, being the chief of police or the selectman. Guess i'll have to talk with the chief.

Worst case scenario is I'll ask the range president if I can bring the hog down there, or take it for a walk in the WMA, lol.

Can I have some bacon if I shoot it for you on your property? I'll help you butcher it.

When I first moved here, I considered an open carry BBQ. If follow through with this, i'll see if I can convince the wife again. All the shanks belong to me however [smile]

The only law I've heard of in NH about killing live stock is that its illegal for anyone other than a vet to dispatch a Horse, and I don't even know if its legitimate. I would just go with the other fellows advice, one shot one kill and if someone asks invite them over for the BBQ :)

Make-a-silencer-in-under-5-minutes.jpg

When I first moved here, I considered an open carry BBQ. If follow through with this, i'll see if I can convince the wife again. All the shanks belong to me however [smile]

Great idea! And there's a decent range in Newton, my stepfather is a member. Very clean and the range officers are pretty mild-mannered.

22LR from a rifle is quiet and effective. Pretty standard where I am from to put down hogs followed by a quick hoist on the bucket loader and bleeding. I can't imagine any issues with this process. Curious, what breed hog is it?

22LR from a rifle is quiet and effective. Pretty standard where I am from to put down hogs followed by a quick hoist on the bucket loader and bleeding. I can't imagine any issues with this process. Curious, what breed hog is it?

I have a few options available for local sources, Guinea and Glouchestershire

Wow, two not so common breeds. I know the Gloucestershires, they are exceptional. Don't see many Guineas- they are pretty small, right? I heard the Guineas will eat snakes (!) and were kept by Thomas Jefferson... Good luck!

When I was a kid in the 60s and 70s we raised about a dozen hogs each year...we would dispatch them with a .22LR right between the eyes. They dropped like a stone and then we'd cut their throat...

Contact your county extension service or local 4H. They can tell you what is acceptable now....that being said, a guy that lives up the road from me raises his own pork and he stuns them with a 22, just like we did way back then. The only way I know he's done some butchering is he hangs a sign out front selling sausage, hams, etc etc...

Back
Top Bottom