• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

dehydrated foods/ingredients

OCB

I'm going on a 10 day fishing/backpacking trip in Alaska this August. The river we'll be following is known to have a good amount of fish in it, so we will hopefully be eating fish for lots of meals. To have a little variety, I've been looking at various pre-packaged thai-type curries that we could add fish to, as well as dehydrated soups and stews. I've found a few websites that sell dehydrated soups as well as various ingredients (tomato powder, mushroom powder, etc.) but I was wondering if anyone had any particular websites that they liked or any recipes in particular worth trying.
Sorry if this general topic has been covered, but nothing came up in my search.

The Mrs. Grass soup mixes are pretty good. Just add water and protein if necessary. The selection in stores around here seems to be pretty limited, but Amazon seems to have a ton of flavors.

We keep the pantry stocked particularly with the hearty chicken noodle ones around for when we got a roasted chicken to pick over.

You can also ziploc a ghetto instant loaded potato soup. Just crumble some of the precooked bacon from the store, tater flakes, your selection of seasonings and instant dry milk. If you have any cheese powder you could add that in as well.

OCB,
I'm glad you liked the site. That's where I got all my good ideas! [smile]

Thanks to Boghog1 also.

Of the two meals I took with me to the survival camp out, one was a freezer bag meal and the other was a Knorr / Valley Fresh combo. I also snacked on some homemade beef jerky and GORP.

When compared to something like an MRE (~1.5lbs.), the freezer bag meal is much lighter, although it takes more time to prepare.

Freezerbagmeal.jpg

The Knorr / Valley Fresh combo is a little heavier (due to the water in the chicken), but you can pick these up as you are heading to the trail head and still have a good meal plan.

RiceChickenmeal.jpg

Both meals are prepared by adding boiling water to them and letting them sit for 10-15 minutes.

Freezer bag meals and Knorr / Valley Fresh combo meals also generate much less trash than an MRE.

As you eat from the pouches, clean up is also a breeze.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(The following is a cut-n-paste from a post I did on another forum - it saves me some time.)

I like to use dehydrated meals I make myself. Here is some dehydrated pasta, dehydrated tomato sauce and dehydrated ground beef (called “gravel”). I put all the ingredients in the pasta bag (use a freezer bag) and add enough boiling water to cover the contents. Then I stick the bag in a cozie or my wool hat. Knead the bag from time to time and after 10-15 minutes the meal has re-hydrated and is ready to eat! Yummy!

food.jpg

I have had meals like this sit in zip lock bags for over a year before I used them - no problem!

You can also add "veggie flakes" (not the fish food) to suit your taste if you wish.

MEDIUM_8a78c6e02140d931012144e7fcc83f8d.jpg

This is one of my other favorite recipes:

Cranberry Chicken Rice:
In a quart freezer bag put:
1 cup instant rice
1 Tsp. Chicken bullion (about two cubes)
1/4 Tsp. salt, if desired
1/2 Tsp. granulated garlic
1 Tsp. Parsley (or Cilantro)
1 Tsp. Dried Onion
2 Tbl. Dried veggie flakes or freeze dried mixed vegetables
2 Tbl.+2 Tsp. dried cranberries

Also take a 3-5 oz. can (or pouch) of chicken with you.

Add the chicken and its liquid into the freezer bag, and 1 1/4 cups boiling water. Stir well and put into a cozy for 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom