• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Military Vehicle ID please

I read recently that the military is preparing for urban insurrection.

Today, I was driving through Devens and got behind a convoy of armored vehicles that I have seen in videos with pipes coming out of the roof that release smoke and tear gas.
It's a four wheel vehicle with a small turret on top. No other weapons visible.

I know there are fifty or sixty of these parked at the Army Reserve center at Devens.

I tried finding out what these vehicle are but had no luck.
Any help?

M1117 ASV? You really need to give a better discription.

Google that and give a yes or no. If it is, the tubes you saw are likely for smoke to obscure dismounted infantry/crew from enemy observation. Tear gas is a chemical weapon, and banned; therefore, it is not widely used by the U.S. Army and is unlikely to have a vehicle dedicated to it's use. There is also a HMMWV variant that is a smoke screen genorator

M1117 ASV? You really need to give a better discription.

Google that and give a yes or no. If it is, the tubes you saw are likely for smoke to obscure dismounted infantry/crew from enemy observation. Tear gas is a chemical weapon, and banned; therefore, it is not widely used by the U.S. Army and is unlikely to have a vehicle dedicated to it's use. There is also a HMMWV variant that is a smoke screen genorator

Yep that's it
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/asv.htm

OK, so why would National Guard/Army Reserve have so many of these? What's the use for them?
Thanks

Tear gas is a chemical weapon, and banned;

Not trying to argue but when was tear gas banned ? I served back in the '70's so I'm not up on what's being used currently. I had to go through the gas house in Waukegan during boot and got a snootfull of CS. When my battallion (MCB-40) went for tactical traning we got hit with CS by OpForce.

We can use it on ourselves; but, if you hit a foriegn national with it you just committed a war-crime. It's BS, but then again, so are most of the rules we follow that no one else does.
We still use CS for training too; at first it was all like "AHH!" but then it was alright.

Last edited:
I had two asv s, along with 4 1151. My 2 qualified asv crews didn't like them, and we started getting command.directed to take them.on missions. Too confined, couldn't engage over the back hatch easily, and we weren't allowed to.use the primary weapon system (mk19) in the city, and we were told pretty much not to use the.secondary(.50 cal) in the city.
Good for a crew of midgets, in the open, on an ecp, but sucky for infantry missions.

You have to love it when officers who have no idea what the hell a patrol is start making you take useless BS that just endangers lives with you.

We developed a coa, we would just take the piglets down to cross swords and drive all over the place on down days to run the mileage up. So on qaqc days, it showed difference. Worked for a week or two.

If there's "civil unrest" on a large scale there's no doubt in my mind we'd be facing vehicles like this in the streets and neighborhoods.

I hate to bring this up, as I've experienced them first hand, but if we're talking go time all we need to do is take IED 101 and get to work. Now, if we are facing RG-31's and MATV's we'll have to adjust fire.

Nope; but, I can get you all a great group rate. (Fine print: Must join a combat arms MOS in the U.S. Army or Marine Corps and deploy to a warzone.)

Seriously though, it really isn't that hard. Just by taking an IED defeat course you are all but certified to make the damn things.
Just remember, every bomb maker will, given the time, eventually blow themselves up.

If there's "civil unrest" on a large scale there's no doubt in my mind we'd be facing vehicles like this in the streets and neighborhoods.

Don't be so sure; alot of us take the fact that we swore to "uphold and defend the constitution" "from all enemies, foreign and domestic" very seriously. Attacking civilians is not in keeping with that oath; and, very few circumstances could ever make me deviate from it.

I think its called a ferret, its a British made, light armored vehicle. its armed with tear gas launchers and a machine gun (usually 1919 or Mac 58) that is enclosed by an armored turret. They were produced between 1952-1971 and are still used today by both the military and police departments around the world and here in the US. Here's a link to the Wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferret_armoured_car

I think its called a ferret, its a British made, light armored vehicle. its armed with tear gas launchers and a machine gun (usually 1919 or Mac 58) that is enclosed by an armored turret. They were produced between 1952-1971 and are still used today by both the military and police departments around the world and here in the US. Here's a link to the Wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferret_armoured_car

Doubtful that the MA National Guard/Army Reserves would be using them

Ahhh..... I loved the ASV. I was in an ARMY reserve unit and my "guntruck" platoon was attached to an Airborne/Air Assault Field Artillery unit running CLP's (combat logistical patrols). My reserve unit brought them to the FA unit

ef0e24f483e0250c81c6a769de5183e22ff0760ede304bcc098857339663081a6g.jpg

2979961c2f83ec721157e900d12e99fa58d6e1f052ffbc9f28fcf75bf69c474a6g.jpg

It is an M1117 ASV (Armored Security Vehicle) "The Guardian" and it is made by Cadillac Gauge and Textron. It uses a few different types of weapons systems but mine had a co-axial weapons system utilizing a Mk19 and 50 cal (have seen dual 50 cals). The funny looking canisters on the rear of the turret are for smoke grenades that pop out in a half circle in front of the turret. It has a very good night vision system and the turret is controlled electronically with a hand crank for fine tuning. Also seats 4 crew. We rolled with 3, a little snug but it worked..and so did the 30,000 BTU air conditioner!.... I absolutely loved it and it did it's job very well.

Last edited:
Not trying to argue but when was tear gas banned ? I served back in the '70's so I'm not up on what's being used currently. I had to go through the gas house in Waukegan during boot and got a snootfull of CS. When my battallion (MCB-40) went for tactical traning we got hit with CS by OpForce.

Everyone still goes though the gas chamber. But tear gas is banned by the geneiva convention, same as hollow point ammo. Can use that in war either.

There is a picture of one of those, black, going down a street during Katrina.

I rode around in a turret in one of those for a few months, and hated it. The only thing I liked was the AC.
There are a lot of draw backs to them and I was glad to go back in the turret of an up armored HMMWV.

Doctrine has changed, and Hummers, Bradleys and Abrams were not the best vehicle to fight with in our recent war and our current war. Something like a M1117 is ideal for movement over urban terrain, convoy protection and base protection. It's important to realize that the Army always prepares to fight the last war and bases its doctrine around it. For example, the US military will no longer be prepared to fight two major contingencies simultaneously in two different parts of the world. The heavy division as we know it, is dead. Brigade Combat Teams tailored for specific missions are and will be the norm.

It only stands to reason that both the Guard and Reserves are being equipped to reflect this change in doctrine which foresees non-linear battle against unconventional forces. Special Operations is also being beefed up.

Now if we ever have to fight a Chinese Expeditionary Force in the Middle East over dwindling oil reserves, or fight somewhere else in the world with a conventional force (I think even today military planners don't see a major land war on the Korean Peninsula, and if that happens, the ROK Army is not the army it was even twenty years ago, it can bear the brunt of the battle) over water, our force structure won't be able to handle it, but we as sure as hell can protect convoys and fight in cities like Baghdad. The US had a role for horse cavalry until 1943, too.

MPs used them for convoy security but they are flat on the bottom. They were death traps for ieds. Replaced with MRAPS. im sure they will be used for base security and LEO uses to make up loss of gov contract.

Back
Top Bottom