1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Military Vehicle ID please

Discussion in 'Military Bubbas' started by News Shooter, Mar 9, 2012.

1. News Shooter

News Shooter Member

I read recently that the military is preparing for urban insurrection.

Today, I was driving through Devens and got behind a convoy of armored vehicles that I have seen in videos with pipes coming out of the roof that release smoke and tear gas.
    It's a four wheel vehicle with a small turret on top. No other weapons visible.

I know there are fifty or sixty of these parked at the Army Reserve center at Devens.

I tried finding out what these vehicle are but had no luck.
    Any help?

2. Business

Business Member

3. JFR2

JFR2 Army Veteran NES Member

Look at Google Images of an MRAP. Is that it?

-JR

4. hurley431

hurley431 Member

M1117 ASV? You really need to give a better discription.

Google that and give a yes or no. If it is, the tubes you saw are likely for smoke to obscure dismounted infantry/crew from enemy observation. Tear gas is a chemical weapon, and banned; therefore, it is not widely used by the U.S. Army and is unlikely to have a vehicle dedicated to it's use. There is also a HMMWV variant that is a smoke screen genorator

5. News Shooter

News Shooter Member

6. News Shooter

News Shooter Member

Yep that's it
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/asv.htm

OK, so why would National Guard/Army Reserve have so many of these? What's the use for them?
    Thanks

7. Twigg

Twigg Member

Not trying to argue but when was tear gas banned ? I served back in the '70's so I'm not up on what's being used currently. I had to go through the gas house in Waukegan during boot and got a snootfull of CS. When my battallion (MCB-40) went for tactical traning we got hit with CS by OpForce.

8. hurley431

hurley431 Member

We can use it on ourselves; but, if you hit a foriegn national with it you just committed a war-crime. It's BS, but then again, so are most of the rules we follow that no one else does.
    We still use CS for training too; at first it was all like "AHH!" but then it was alright.

9. Twigg

Twigg Member

Buncha' pussies.

Geez now I need a .308 and AP ammo.

10. hurley431

hurley431 Member

They are internal security vehicles used by Military Police; primarily for force protection (Base security) I've heard about them doing convoy security too; but, I've never seen it.

FYI, no spellcheck on my work computer.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  11. OB1Kenobi

OB1Kenobi Banned

i dont see the issue. New vehicles get fielded. End of story.

1 person likes this.
  12. centermass181

centermass181 NES Member

I had two asv s, along with 4 1151. My 2 qualified asv crews didn't like them, and we started getting command.directed to take them.on missions. Too confined, couldn't engage over the back hatch easily, and we weren't allowed to.use the primary weapon system (mk19) in the city, and we were told pretty much not to use the.secondary(.50 cal) in the city.
    Good for a crew of midgets, in the open, on an ecp, but sucky for infantry missions.

13. hurley431

hurley431 Member

You have to love it when officers who have no idea what the hell a patrol is start making you take useless BS that just endangers lives with you.

1 person likes this.
  14. centermass181

centermass181 NES Member

We developed a coa, we would just take the piglets down to cross swords and drive all over the place on down days to run the mileage up. So on qaqc days, it showed difference. Worked for a week or two.

15. Rockrivr1

Rockrivr1 NES Member

If there's "civil unrest" on a large scale there's no doubt in my mind we'd be facing vehicles like this in the streets and neighborhoods.

16. CTsupra

CTsupra Member

I hate to bring this up, as I've experienced them first hand, but if we're talking go time all we need to do is take IED 101 and get to work. Now, if we are facing RG-31's and MATV's we'll have to adjust fire.

17. Boghog1

Boghog1 Member

Is that available through the local vo-tech?

18. hurley431

hurley431 Member

Nope; but, I can get you all a great group rate. (Fine print: Must join a combat arms MOS in the U.S. Army or Marine Corps and deploy to a warzone.)

Seriously though, it really isn't that hard. Just by taking an IED defeat course you are all but certified to make the damn things.
    Just remember, every bomb maker will, given the time, eventually blow themselves up.

Don't be so sure; alot of us take the fact that we swore to "uphold and defend the constitution" "from all enemies, foreign and domestic" very seriously. Attacking civilians is not in keeping with that oath; and, very few circumstances could ever make me deviate from it.

1 person likes this.
  19. Tater

Tater Member

No but you can visit your local mosque and keep mentioning how much you hate Americans and I'm sure someone will take you under their wing and teach you.

20. ICO94

ICO94 New Member

I think its called a ferret, its a British made, light armored vehicle. its armed with tear gas launchers and a machine gun (usually 1919 or Mac 58) that is enclosed by an armored turret. They were produced between 1952-1971 and are still used today by both the military and police departments around the world and here in the US. Here's a link to the Wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferret_armoured_car