• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Best way to secure a remote cabin ?

trampasvietnam06.jpg

get in good with the locals and let them use it whenever you are not there, they will know who the trouble makers are in the area and will handle things accordingly

I have a place in VT. It's been broken into many times throught the years. So often we don't bother to report it anymore. Waste of time and effort. We haven't been broken into for several years now for a several reasons:

We leave nothing of much value there. Nothing that can't easily and cheaply be replaced.
We leave NO booze in camp. You leave a jug behind, last one out dumps it. There were tears over that by the way.
We keep the place looking lived in. The grass gets mowed just about every trip up.
We get up there as much as possible to have it BE lived in.
We have a couple good neighbors and we all watch each others property.
We know a few locals we also will keep an eye on the place for us. Helps to buy locally to get to know some of the locals.

If someone really wants to get in a chain saw will cut through almost any building material. A 4WD truck and a logging chain will pull almost anything over.

And even cement will burn if it gets hot enough - Remember 9/11 and the twin towers. They burnt. I had an old hunting buddy who had a camp made out of cinder blocks. He got burnt out.

One of our neighbors doesn't even lock his place. Hook and eye on the outside to keep the door closed while they're gone.

Hope that helps,

I grew up in the High Sierras back in the early 70's. No one locked the cabins for the reasons given already so it was accepted practice touse an unoccupied cabin but to leave it as clean or cleaner than you found it. You prepped the stove for the next "guest" and got firewood to replacve what you had used.It was a pretty good system.

With those "container cabins", isn't moisture buildup and mold an issue? I'd get claustrophobic without windows. By the time you rig one of those things and cut through all the metal the way you want it, you could have done the same cheaper with wood and customize it, plus get the added bonus that it is insulated and a little nicer; I think.

When we were buying our farm up in NH we were also looking at remote cabins on large plots of mostly timber land. We opted instead for a smaller plot of land which already had a house, barn and large field. We also have about 25 arces or mostly hard wood, and some pine. We got a killer deal on the place, but it might be worth looking into. We use it a lot because of the house and barn. Its a nice place to go. PM me if you are seriously looking and i'll tell you more about it. The place came with two acres of strawberries, which is a big assest because we let a local farmer use these in turn for plowing, mowing, and monitoring of our secuirty system and cameras. We have never had an issue. We are planning on expanding the whole place into a working farm. At this point we just hunt drive four wheelers, and fun. But when SHTF will have water food, and everything ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom