AUTISM FUNDRAISER MATCH HARVARD SPORTSMEN'S CLUB 4-07-12

Had a great time at the match, and happy to help raise money for a good cause. Here's some video of me shooting stages 1 and 6. Messed up my reload timing on 6, but otherwise pretty happy with how I did. I know I have a lot of stuff to work on, but this is better than how I did at my last match.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a great day shooting with Squad #5, I had 3 good stages and 3 bad stages so I won't complain. Still plenty of improvement to be made.
So happy to be able to spend my Saturday at my favorite club, with awesome people and for a great cause.

Last edited:
Stop it at 1:49 BUT, I am just busting his stones. He looks like he had a good day [grin]

Yeah, I may have got away with one there. I could feel the fault line under my foot, so I knew I was on it, but it's quite possible I touched down outside. Good thing video evidence isn't admissible. [wink] I had a mostly solid day. Mental error on stage 6, and I dropped too many Cs and Ds. 87% of the points just isn't enough. No mikes/noshoots though.

No video of you guys shooting the classifier? how convenient...

It was our last stage and we were the last in our squad to shoot it. Since it was a table start I'd already bagged my gun and put most of my gear away. I'm glad mine isn't on video since I zero'd it.

Yeah, I may have got away with one there. I could feel the fault line under my foot, so I knew I was on it, but it's quite possible I touched down outside. Good thing video evidence isn't admissible. [wink] I had a mostly solid day. Mental error on stage 6, and I dropped too many Cs and Ds. 87% of the points just isn't enough. No mikes/noshoots though.

FWIW- I wouldn't have given you 1 Penalty for each shot fired... I'd give you just one... I"m not that evil and that ruling is very subjective. ;) Supermoto... he's evil.

I didn't manage to get too many vids yesterday but here's what I did get....my little Kodak flip style vidcam takes nice videos but can't go wide enough and the iPhone 3Gs can go wide enough but takes crappy vids. another solution will need to be figured out shortly.

might as well start off with the match winner Jay...malfunction slowed him a little but not enough to derail his day
[video=youtube_share;39elJqg7l_o]http://youtu.be/39elJqg7l_o[/video]

Here's one of me taking my time to make sure I get around the no shoot. I need to move a bit faster point to point and aquire targets faster but overall I'm happy with my day; except for that @#$@! jam on the second string of the classifier [sad2][angry][crying]
[video=youtube_share;cYQ3LaaOiMo]http://youtu.be/cYQ3LaaOiMo[/video]

Ken on the same stage doing it L10 style
[video=youtube_share;hOiHT2UxJ4k]http://youtu.be/hOiHT2UxJ4k[/video]

LowSider on Stage 6 of his first USPSA match. good form, well planned and executed reloads, good hits. well done [cheers]
(craptacular iPhone 3G video)
[video=youtube_share;JgIJj9RuSYo]http://youtu.be/JgIJj9RuSYo[/video]

It was our last stage and we were the last in our squad to shoot it. Since it was a table start I'd already bagged my gun and put most of my gear away. I'm glad mine isn't on video since I zero'd it.

Oh sure no video on that stage. It was the only one I shot clean. It was great meeting you too

The nice thing about shooting video at a match is you can find out exactly WTF went wrong...case and point is my classifier run where things went fine on the first string but I had a feed issue on the second string. by the time I got everything cleared and finished up I had a mike on the center target. there was some debate afterwards about if it was a straight up miss or if I had forgot to take the shot; looks like it was the latter. I dropped the hammer on an empty chamber and that registered mentally to me as a shot [angry2]

6.5sec burned from the shot before the jam until I take the first shot after fixing things....uuuuggghhh

[video=youtube_share;eM9oSj-V9Lc]http://youtu.be/eM9oSj-V9Lc[/video]

I'd like to see video of the guy who won the overall. I swear all his times are half of mine. :(

I'd like to see video of the guy who won the overall. I swear all his times are half of mine. :(

go back one page, post #158 video #1....but some friendly advice if I may: don't bother chasing a Open division Master with a Production division rig unless your name is Sevigny, Stoeger, or Butler! nothing wrong with comparing yourself against the really good shooters, that's how we all get better, but never get discouraged by it. We have some great local shooters who are fun to watch and you can learn a lot about how to game a stage by looking closely at how they attack things but when the buzzer goes off race YOUR race

I was more interested in seeing the production class overall winner... Ed Stettmeier...

Its my first match, i still dont understand how the point system works...

For what its worth here's my stage 1...
102 pts, 30 penalty (Dunno what the hell happened there), 29.67 Sec

[video=youtube_share;yr7N9Hm8sfg]http://youtu.be/yr7N9Hm8sfg[/video]

Stage 4
This is the only one i DIDNT take penalty points on.. :(
61 points, 19.31 sec.

[video=youtube_share;-6MC09XTEaw]http://youtu.be/-6MC09XTEaw[/video]

I was more interested in seeing the production class overall winner... Ed Stettmeier...

Its my first match, i still dont understand how the point system works...

The points system sounds complicated at first but it's not all that hard. you can see your entire match on the uspsa.org website under the "Match Results" section. use this link to get to the match and then punch in your USPSA number with no dash. I'll say a little about penalties since you brought it up...

it looks like your big problem for the day was misses, you had 3 on that first stage and 6 total on the day. each one got you a -10pt penalty AND you didn't score the points you should have for a hit, so if you're a regular A zone shooter it's a 15 point swing (-10 for the penalty and you didn't earn the 5 you normally would for an A). if the stage calls for 2 on each paper and when you're done there's only 1 hole on a paper target you're either going to try to convince the RO you shot the perfect double or you're taking the MIKE.

On stages 2 and 4 you hit the no shoot (white targets) somewhere along the way, the penalty for which is pretty much the same as the miss. it IS possible to take a penalty for hitting a no shoot and still earn points for a hit but I'm not going to go into that right now, let's leave it at "don't put holes in the no shoot targets"

Then you had two procedurals on stage 3. you ususally earn these for shooting something from somewhere you weren't supposed to, e.g. "all steel must be shot from within this box" and you shoot the steel from outside that box. another common one is if you have your foot on a fault line and you end up taking shots with your foot touching the ground on the outside of that line. this time it's a -10pt penalty but you keep the points from the hits.

did that make things easier to understand or did I just make it more confusing? [thinking]

Then you had two procedurals on stage 3. you ususally earn these for shooting something from somewhere you weren't supposed to, e.g. "all steel must be shot from within this box" and you shoot the steel from outside that box. another common one is if you have your foot on a fault line and you end up taking shots with your foot touching the ground on the outside of that line. this time it's a -10pt penalty but you keep the points from the hits.

Are you deducing this from the math, or were you in my squad ? :)

Lets talk about stage 3 ...

I failed to engage a target, just brain fart skipped the damn thing...
So is it -10 for the no points, and another -10 for not engaging it then ?

[video=youtube_share;YwwwoP0t8cY]http://youtu.be/YwwwoP0t8cY[/video]

A76111

Last edited:
I'm enjoying playing around with the video editing software. It helps that I have a ridiculously fast PC with gobs of RAM.

I failed to engage a target, just brain fart skipped the damn thing...
So is it -10 for the no points, and another -10 for not engaging it then ?

Skipping a target costs you a total of 40 points. You lose out on the 10 points you would've gotten for 2 A hits, get a -10 failure to engage penalty, and 2 -10 miss penalties.

The points system sounds complicated at first but it's not all that hard. you can see your entire match on the uspsa.org website under the "Match Results" section. use this link to get to the match and then punch in your USPSA number with no dash. I'll say a little about penalties since you brought it up...

it looks like your big problem for the day was misses, you had 3 on that first stage and 6 total on the day. each one got you a -10pt penalty AND you didn't score the points you should have for a hit, so if you're a regular A zone shooter it's a 15 point swing (-10 for the penalty and you didn't earn the 5 you normally would for an A). if the stage calls for 2 on each paper and when you're done there's only 1 hole on a paper target you're either going to try to convince the RO you shot the perfect double or you're taking the MIKE.

On stages 2 and 4 you hit the no shoot (white targets) somewhere along the way, the penalty for which is pretty much the same as the miss. it IS possible to take a penalty for hitting a no shoot and still earn points for a hit but I'm not going to go into that right now, let's leave it at "don't put holes in the no shoot targets"

did that make things easier to understand or did I just make it more confusing? [thinking]

OH ! I see the point performance for each stage now... i didn't see that last night...
This is awesome ...

Back
Top Bottom