• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AUTISM FUNDRAISER MATCH HARVARD SPORTSMEN'S CLUB 4-07-12

Stacy - It was great meeting you and Marc at the practice/dinner last night. Let me know if you want me to print up anything on my plotter.

I can't wait for this match. What an awesome way to start off the shooting season.

Last edited:
The G 34 is legal in the US only. For some reason the USPSA BOD created their own Production Division, not to be confused with the IPSC division of the same name.

Probably because the number of USPSA shooters outweighs the number of IPSC shooters.

Probably because the number of USPSA shooters outweighs the number of IPSC shooters.

It's mainly because the ipsc bylaws are one vote per country, so countries with 5 shooters have the same control over the rules as the US does with 20,000+.

I can't wait for this match so we can get out shooting instead of discussing rules on the internet.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

It's mainly because the ipsc bylaws are one vote per country, so countries with 5 shooters have the same control over the rules as the US does with 20,000+.

I can't wait for this match so we can get out shooting instead of discussing rules on the internet.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

I know - I'm saying that USPSA created its own production division because they want to cater to more of our shooters rather than the few who shoot true IPSC.

I dont know what this is, i'm a member at HSC but I have NEVER shot pistols in a competitive manner. I am not even that great of a shot but would love to help a good cause and blast some steel targets. Is there a specific gun/caliber requirement?

You'll need a serviceable and safe handgun of 9mm or larger, a holster for it that covers the trigger guard, and enough magazines to make it through a 32 round stage. There are a bunch of threads on here about how to get started shooting USPSA. Do you have experience working from the holster?

I dont know what this is, i'm a member at HSC but I have NEVER shot pistols in a competitive manner. I am not even that great of a shot past 10 yards but would love to help a good cause and blast some steel targets. Is there a specific gun/caliber requirement?

Pretty much any pistol, 9mm or greater. Full size (Glock 17, M&P 9, Sig 226, etc.) is ideal. Strong side OWB holster, plus 3 or 4 mag carriers and spare mags. Take a look at post #20 for more details and an intro video starring HSC's very own Dan Hurley.

It's short notice, but if you want to get a feel for how USPSA pistol works come by the action pits tomorrow around 5 PM for the weekly practice.

Pretty much any pistol, 9mm or greater. Full size (Glock 17, M&P 9, Sig 226, etc.) is ideal. Strong side OWB holster, plus 3 or 4 mag carriers and spare mags. Take a look at post #20 for more details and an intro video starring HSC's very own Dan Hurley.

It's short notice, but if you want to get a feel for how USPSA pistol works come by the action pits tomorrow around 5 PM for the weekly practice.

I might take you up on that to get a feel for it. I have to obviously start somewhere, and since this is for a great cause i'd be more than willing to provide a few chuckles to help those affected by autism.

You'll need a serviceable and safe handgun of 9mm or larger, a holster for it that covers the trigger guard, and enough magazines to make it through a 32 round stage. There are a bunch of threads on here about how to get started shooting USPSA. Do you have experience working from the holster?

Jar, I just watched the video.. thats intimidating. I have done *some* holster work, but not to the extent that these guys (and gals!) have. I shoot a sig p229r chambered in 9mm, I dont have a mag belt and I do only have 4 magazines at the moment. (new firearm and would rather not shoot a higher caliber my first time doing something like this).

Jar, I just watched the video.. thats intimidating. I have done *some* holster work, but not to the extent that these guys (and gals!) have. I shoot a sig p229r chambered in 9mm, I dont have a mag belt and I do only have 4 magazines at the moment. (new firearm and would rather not shoot a higher caliber my first time doing something like this).

You don't have to go that fast as the guys do in most of those videos. The main thing is safety, just having a safe draw, keeping your finger on the frame until ready to fire, (eg, it should be on the frame and pointed downrange at all times while on the move) etc.

It looks more intimidating than it actually is. If you show up at a practice with an open mind and basic gear, I'm pretty sure someone can help you, I find a lot of people in action shooting are extremely helpful- particularly when they know a new guy/lady is around.

-Mike

You don't have to go that fast as the guys do in most of those videos. The main thing is safety, just having a safe draw, keeping your finger on the frame until ready to fire, (eg, it should be on the frame and pointed downrange at all times while on the move) etc.

It looks more intimidating than it actually is. If you show up at a practice with an open mind and basic gear, I'm pretty sure someone can help you, I find a lot of people in action shooting are extremely helpful- particularly when they know a new guy/lady is around.

-Mike

This is 100% true. I started doing USPSA last summer, and everybody was very patient and encouraging. Safety is the most important thing - nobody minds if you're slow and deliberate with your drawing, moving, and shooting as long as you're safe.

This is 100% true. I started doing USPSA last summer, and everybody was very patient and encouraging. Safety is the most important thing - nobody minds if you're slow and deliberate with your drawing, moving, and shooting as long as you're safe.

Agreed, I take safety at the range extremely seriously. I'm more interested in learning how to do it, I will not actually try and compete against others. I might swing by tommorow night and get a feel for it, as long as no one will mind. Thanks for being so friendly about this mla, jar, and drgrant.

Clay,
If you can't make it out tomorrow, I'll be helping setup on Friday (not sure what time yet) and would be happy to go through the basics with you. I don't have any mag pouches for a 226 that you could borrow but you'd be welcome to my .45/holster/mags/pouches for Saturday if you supply the ammo.

~ Brad

Clay,
If you can't make it out tomorrow, I'll be helping setup on Friday (not sure what time yet) and would be happy to go through the basics with you. I don't have any mag pouches for a 226 that you could borrow but you'd be welcome to my .45/holster/mags/pouches for Saturday if you supply the ammo.
~ Brad

Brad, I appreciate it. If I cant make it wed's night then I will take you up on the friday setup (and I will help you setup as well). Thats wicked generous of you to offer your gear for me to shoot. I might look into a mag belt before the weekend too. Is there a good place around here to snag one? BNT or FS perhaps?
-Connor

This sport is for everyone ---- the best way to start is to, well, begin.......

[video=youtube_share;1D10xFBIL50]http://youtu.be/1D10xFBIL50[/video]

[video=youtube_share;8oUpnR92Ubc]http://youtu.be/8oUpnR92Ubc[/video]

The only thing anyone cared about was that they were SAFE! (And this was the first time my step-grandson - bottom video- had ever touched a gun - after a little coaching prior from Supermoto!)

Last edited:
It's usually around 125 or so. Like Dan said, bring 200 or 250. It's typically 6 stages, 2 30ish round field courses, 2 20ish round field courses, a classifier, and a speed shoot.

A rule of thumb is bring at least twice as much as you think you might need. It's easy to bring home any extra that's left over, but it sucks if you run out during the match. Just this past year, at a major match of 10 stages, I had 4 full reshoots that required an extra 125 rounds on my part. I'll be bringing more than 250.

I've had some trouble finding mag pouches for my sig p229 in 9mm, are they a must or can I just jam them into my belt if I dont find any before tommorow morning?? [rolleyes]

I can bring three Blackhawk doublestack mag pouches for you.

Back
Top Bottom