• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ruger LC9 modification options

Shot mine today for the first time. My poor wife literally could not pull the trigger effectively. I had no issues with it at all. For a defensive pistol I think it was acceptable. I was shooting at steel silhouettes from rams down to the hen sized @ 50 ft with decent accuracy. If the trigger was as awful as everyone says, I don't feel this would have been possible.

Someone wrote, and maybe in a different lc9 thread, their concern with light hits when changing to lighter trigger springs. Galloway offers a reduced power spring kit also, and their kit supposedly does not have that issue. The description from their website: http://www.gallowayprecision.com/lc9performanceparts.html

"These are the reduced power springs that have been asked for to help eliminate the stacking at the end of the trigger pull by reducing the spring power of the firing pin blocker spring and the lifter arm spring. Also included is our reduced power firing pin return spring to reduce any light strikes some pistols may experience.
Spring pack includes all three springs.

$15.00"

wondering if any one has used the new rtk tactical trigger galloway offers for the lc9?
http://www.gallowayprecision.com/lc9performanceparts.html

also, i was able to order the trigger bar and hammer directly from ruger and then shipped it to galloway for modification. waiting for it to be returned, but this seems like it will be better than waiting for the aftermarket parts to be put into production.

I am very interested in removing the finish from the barrel, but I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone know why vinegar works? I'm guessing it's the acetic acid...
  2. Would something like acetone work better?
  3. Can the polishing be done without a dremel?
  4. Would 0000 steal wool be of any use in this process?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

I am very interested in removing the finish from the barrel, but I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone know why vinegar works? I'm guessing it's the acetic acid...
  2. Would something like acetone work better?
  3. Can the polishing be done without a dremel?
  4. Would 0000 steal wool be of any use in this process?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

I found an old bottle of apple cider vinegar in the kitchen, and it worked fine. I don't know how or why.

I used some fine steel wool to clean it up, and then I used a buffing wheel on my drill press, with a compound stick, to make it shiny.

I'm sure that you can polish it without any machinery, it's just that much more elbow grease.

wondering if any one has used the new rtk tactical trigger galloway offers for the lc9?
http://www.gallowayprecision.com/lc9performanceparts.html

also, i was able to order the trigger bar and hammer directly from ruger and then shipped it to galloway for modification. waiting for it to be returned, but this seems like it will be better than waiting for the aftermarket parts to be put into production.

I wanted to do the same thing, order the parts from Ruger and send them to Galloway for modification.

I just now got a call from Ruger, saying that as of last Friday, the hammer and trigger bar are now factory-fit items only. They will not sell them to individuals. They have cancelled my order.

Bastards. I really don't want to have my gun out of commission for the time it will take to have my parts shipped to Galloway and modified. I will either have to wait for Galloway to get their own parts line going, or wait until I have a backup CCW.

I wanted to do the same thing, order the parts from Ruger and send them to Galloway for modification.

I just now got a call from Ruger, saying that as of last Friday, the hammer and trigger bar are now factory-fit items only. They will not sell them to individuals. They have cancelled my order.

Bastards. I really don't want to have my gun out of commission for the time it will take to have my parts shipped to Galloway and modified. I will either have to wait for Galloway to get their own parts line going, or wait until I have a backup CCW.

wow, talk about lame.....they must have got wind of the fact that since they stopped supplying galloway directly that customers were running this end around. corporate legal teams suck! i know that midway also sells these factory parts, catching them while they are in stock is a bit of a trick though.

Yesterday I stripped the barrel and polished it but did not get the near-mirror finish I was hoping for. Here's what I did:

1. soaked in vinegar for 45 minutes
  2. scrubbed with toothbrush
  3. light use of a scotchbrite pad
  4. 0000 steel wool
  5. buffing with Flitz using a buff attached to my drill.

IMG_0859.jpg IMG_0860.jpg IMG_0861.jpg IMG_0862.jpg IMG_0863.jpg IMG_0864.jpg

Is this as good as it'll get?

Finally got some range time in....Holy Crap!!!! This trigger is good. I was hitting much more consistently from further distances. The trigger is smooth and has a pretty crisp let off. Just have to get used to the reset point. It tricks you with the first click thinking you are reset.

Hey guys!! Havn't chimed in on this thread in a while. I was just in my locall FFL and found out that ruger discontinued production on the MA compliant lc9. Apparantly they want to make some modifications to the design. Apparantly, this has increased the value of the lc9. They valued mine @ $450 as is, offering me $360 for a trade in towards the M&P 40c I'm looking at. So something to consider when buying or selling from this point on.

As far as polishing the barrel, u gotta use the wet sand paper. Start at 1000 grit and taper down to 2000. Then polish...no steel wool, no scotch bright pads or scouring pads. Just vinegar, sand paper & metal polish will do it.

So, my LC9 may potentially be traded in, or up for sale, if anyone is interested.

Good point. Depends if I really need the money I guess. My plan for now is to keep it. But I'm in the process of building a 468ci big block for my 65 cutlass so I could put that $450 to good use, lol. Only time will tell I guess.

Hi Ryan; I hear you; being a gear-head; throwing crazy money to finish a 69 camaro / new 383 stroker/dynoed 500hp; was thinking of selling a Kahr k9; to clear up a little cash; I'll try to hold off. good luck with you ride. John

Hi Ryan; I hear you; being a gear-head; throwing crazy money to finish a 69 camaro / new 383 stroker/dynoed 500hp; was thinking of selling a Kahr k9; to clear up a little cash; I'll try to hold off. good luck with you ride. John

oh nice dude!!! i'm doing a olds 455 bored over to 468, 4.5" stroke, .714 lift, shaved heads, Torker II intake, demon carb, MSD digital 7 ignition, blah blah blah. it's gonna be a beast, should make about 595HP @ flywheel. TH400 w/ 3:55 posi, w/ 4 link rear suspension. so any bit of cash helps!!

oh nice dude!!! i'm doing a olds 455 bored over to 468, 4.5" stroke, .714 lift, shaved heads, Torker II intake, demon carb, MSD digital 7 ignition, blah blah blah. it's gonna be a beast, should make about 595HP @ flywheel. TH400 w/ 3:55 posi, w/ 4 link rear suspension. so any bit of cash helps!!

That things going to sounds insane.

Back
Top Bottom