• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

J.M. Caswell Kentucky Long Rifle

Hello,
I have a buddy who has asked me to do a little research online about an antique rifle of his. Thus far what I have been able to find is very limited. It is a Kentucky long rifle with a heavy octagon barrel. It weighs in at 13 lbs. I dont have any pics at the moment but it looks to be a tiger striped maple stock and it has some ornate brass inlays of a fox on one side of the stock and a german style deer on the other. The top of the barrel has "J.M. CASWELL LANSINGBURGH" on it and the lock is marked "R.S. CLARK EXTRA".
I have seen that Lansingburgh is now Troy, New York and I have found other rifles with the Caswell mark on old auction house postings but nothing current and the posts give no background on the gun maker himself. I have seen where R.S. Clark was of English descent but there is even less information available on him. Just looking for some basic info such as a range of years that Caswell produced his firearms and things of that nature. Any information at all would be more than I have been able to find so far. If anyone would have any info to share on the subject that would be great.

Best Regards,
Aaron
Leitchfield. KY

Aaron,

That sounds like a beautiful rifle and I would love to see some pics. I would recommend that you post this, and some pics on this forum:

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/fusionbb.php?

You will have to join but it is free and you will find that their focus is old style muzzleloaders only and many of the members are a wealth of information.

Bob

Bob,
I'll get some pics together and do that. I'll swing back in and send you a PM to the link when I post it. Thanks for the response.
Aaron

So over the weekend my mom came to visit and gave me this gun from my grandfather, I would like to know more information about it if possible. the side says Moore & Baker and the top of the barrel says J.M. Caswell Lansingburgh. There is also a trapdoor in the stock as well. any information would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
20171015_161751.jpg 20171015_161806.jpg 20171015_161815.jpg 20171015_161850.jpg
QbQjd5nundefined.jpg

fVTgN0Yundefined.jpg

mxujfAVundefined.jpg

nnghvZxundefined.jpg

p6aFSrGundefined.jpg

FFVqpT4undefined.jpg

QMOko8Nundefined.jpg

owTcKWqundefined.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom