15 minutes of elbow grease transforms 03-A3

I see decent ones on CMP forum all the time. Why would you toss it in the safe though? All mine are USGI and they go to the range. I don't believe in safe queens. And there's no real historical value to detract from with a mixmaster you've put together.

JPM - I don't know how old you are. Either you are young and don't own that many guns. Or you are older and retired and have time to go to the range 3x per week. Ha.

But I just don't have that much time to shoot everything regularly.

I also tend to go through phases. 10years ago it was IDPA. Then 5 years ago it was long range precision rifle. Lately I've been focusing on 1) practical defensive pistol shooting with carry sized guns. 2) shooting my match AR (an old Bushmaster CMP, nothing fancy) off hand at 200 yards.

There is no logic to this. Its just what I feel like doing now.

JPM - I don't know how old you are. Either you are young and don't own that many guns. Or you are older and retired and have time to go to the range 3x per week. Ha.

But I just don't have that much time to shoot everything regularly.

I also tend to go through phases. 10years ago it was IDPA. Then 5 years ago it was long range precision rifle. Lately I've been focusing on 1) practical defensive pistol shooting with carry sized guns. 2) shooting my match AR (an old Bushmaster CMP, nothing fancy) off hand at 200 yards.

There is no logic to this. Its just what I feel like doing now.
I think thats how it goes for many of us

I see decent ones on CMP forum all the time. Why would you toss it in the safe though? All mine are USGI and they go to the range. I don't believe in safe queens. And there's no real historical value to detract from with a mixmaster you've put together.
All he time? Been a while since you looked maybe.
Quick look back 4 pages I spotted 3 ?
Cmp forums is not good at deleting post either.

USGI are out there but often its cheaper to buy the complete rifle.

sa
All he time? Been a while since you looked maybe.
Quick look back 4 pages I spotted 3 ?
Cmp forums is not good at deleting post either.

USGI are out there but often its cheaper to buy the complete rifle.

A couple have come up in the past week, but they go fast. I think a couple of weeks ago a guy was selling 3

I wish I was retired and could go 3x a week! I try to go every weekend and bring 2 or 3 guns so I rotate around through the stuff I haven't shot for a while. My point was just because its in a USGI stock or is a collectible doesn't mean it should be a safe queen. They were made to be shot.

OK guys. Here are some shots of the bolt handle.

If this is original, then I'm looking at an original 03-A3 action. Which is a good thing. Considering I paid for it on the assumption that it had been bastardized.

20190801_181356035_iOS.jpg
20190801_181419333_iOS.jpg
20190801_181432764_iOS.jpg

I wish I was retired and could go 3x a week! I try to go every weekend and bring 2 or 3 guns so I rotate around through the stuff I haven't shot for a while. My point was just because its in a USGI stock or is a collectible doesn't mean it should be a safe queen. They were made to be shot.

I agree completely. I don't own anything that I won't shoot. But sometimes for some of them, it can go years between uses.

close the bolt and get a shot of the entire right side of the rifle from the back of the receiver to where the barrel starts, can't really tell for sure from these angles.

Even if the bolt body isn't right, that's easy to swap out. It shouldn't be in the white though so that part at least is not right. From what I've seen of the rest of it, it looks to be an un-bubba'd action

OK guys. Here are some shots of the bolt handle.

If this is original, then I'm looking at an original 03-A3 action. Which is a good thing. Considering I paid for it on the assumption that it had been bastardized.

View attachment 295559
View attachment 295560
View attachment 295561
bolt could have been polished at some point. Maybe to duplicate the 1903a3 NM models... or maybe someone just wanted pretty?
Exceptional U.S. Remington Model 1903A3 National Match Rifle | Rock Island Auction

it looks like it was stripped or something, doesn't look polished. Look at the stamps on the bolt handle root and the tool marks next to them, they seem pretty strong so I don't think it was polished.

it looks like it was stripped or something, doesn't look polished. Look at the stamps on the bolt handle root and the tool marks next to them, they seem pretty strong so I don't think it was polished.
well it could have been poormans job 50 plus years ago.
not unusual for sporters to spiff up the look by polishing and "jeweling" bolts. I think this rifle got the stock and the " sporting" ended.

Looks like a really early 1903 straight handle bolt with the finish missing.

Fairly certain it is. OP, the remington bolt and associated bits would be marked with R's.

I just realized that in some of the pics you can get pretty good view of the bolt and its bend.

Does that look original??

p.s. Free stock to anyone who wants it. Ha. I'm left handed so its less than useless at this point.

Do you still have that sporter stock? I'd really like to have it if so.

Back
Top Bottom