• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ammunition storage cabinets?

I use old (non-fireproof) file cabinets filled with ammo cans.

If you find good ones, they're not at all flimsy, you can fill them with ammo, and you can get them for practically nothing.

They never have the keys, but you can buy replacement locks (keyed alike) for very short money.

I see file cabinets all the time in the "free" section of craigslist.

Brinks fire safe, got it for $90 at staples and secure as hell (being bolted to my closet floor helps). As far as it becoming a bomb, there's a sprinkler head in the closet and the fire dept is a mile away. I'd think in most situations a fire wouldn't get to that point.

This craftsman cabinet is on sale at Sears

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00910134000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

ETA it's rated at 50 pounds per shelf. I suppose they could be reinforced.
I wonder how much ammo weighs?

A case of 9mm weighs 30 lbs and is relatively small in size. You could put 3 or 4 on a shelf. I looked at the Sears cabinets (and that one is on sale for $179 if you are a Craftsman Club member -free to join) but I decided they are too flimsy.

Keeping my eyes on craigslist, but in the meantime, I picked up one of these. It fits my arms room well and seems quite heavy duty. 150 lb. shelf capacity. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ww...uery=3w293&op=search&Ntt=3w293&N=0&sst=subset

Had a chance to assemble and load the cabinet today. I was sure that my stack of ammo was not going to all fit in it, but I was mistaken. All my ammo fit with a fair amount of room left over.

This can only mean one thing: I NEED TO BUY MORE AMMO!!! [smile]

Chuck,

There is a flaw in the logic of drawing a direct parallel between something to store flammable materials and gunpowder.

The difference is that gun powder has its own oxidizer. It does not need air to burn. Everything else in your safe does. So if you have a well sealed safe containing a large amount of flammable liquid, only small amount of flammable liquid would burn before the atmosphere got so that it would no longer support combustion. If the safe is reasonably strong and the pressure builds gradually enough, the pressure could leak out.

Gun powder brings its own oxidizer to the party. It could burn to completion with no atmospheric oxygen. As the pressure increased as a result of CO building up in the safe, rather than quenching the fire, the rate of combustion would INCREASE with pressure.

This is all conjecture, of course. I'm willing to help if anyone wants to sacrifice a safe or two.

Don

You may well be right and I'm not trying to argue. I'm just looking to figure out what I'm going to do.

After looking at the "blurb" from lab safety I took a look at an ATF approved container for explosives. It too is not vented.

So, I'm wondering.... If you had a mesh or cage cabinet, would it allow fire to get to the contents faster than something that was solid steel.

I've been looking at a Stronghold Steel cabinet - like these:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#shelf-storage-cabinets/=feb6yy 45965T15 to be exact.

I had one just like it at work that I let slip through my fingers back in 2007 that I thought would be perfect to the weight and amount I usually have on hand.

They do have a "vented" model - see:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#shelf-storage-cabinets/=feb88s Of the same size - 9662T72 that is also a possibility.

Neither is air tight.

How about some old wooden kitchen cabinets nailed to the wall in the basement with a cable lock through the handles?

I'm looking at a couple of those used locker companies for quotes. Looks like somewhere in $100 each range shipped for 12"x12"x60". Unassembled would run about $100/each, assembled about $130. Those prices include shipping. When I have more accurate info I'll check with Derek and start a feeler for a group buy.

I got a bunch of metal double door cabinets from my work all the time. I can easily store 30,000 rounds of ammo in those things. I have 2 in my basement now. They have 2 handles which can be locked or you can screw on a padlock or something to make them lockable. I love free things that are awesome! [smile]

I use old (non-fireproof) file cabinets filled with ammo cans.

If you find good ones, they're not at all flimsy, you can fill them with ammo, and you can get them for practically nothing.

They never have the keys, but you can buy replacement locks (keyed alike) for very short money.

That's what I use. They are heavy enough to hold full ammo boxes without sagging. Mine didn't have locks so I bought the hasps at the hardware store, riveted them on, and then bought a set of luggage padlocks. That way I have one key that opens everything. Ammo boxes fit perfectly.

IMAG1308.jpg

IMAG1310.jpg

For bulk ammo, I have those big mortar ammo boxes and I use one the many dealer supplied cable locks I have to go through the upper and lower handle. (edit, apparently I swapped a long padlock on it)

IMAG1312.jpg

Last edited:
Get one of those big rolling toolboxes (eg stanley) from HD or Lowes for under $100, and a couple of big keyed alike padlocks. It will hold a crapload of ammo.

-Mike

Powder and Ammunition Storage
"small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use."
When I originally asked, "Why do you lock up ammunition?" somebody posted the above quote.

Nobody gave a source. I thought it was just some lame recommendation. I know that the Brady Campaign says to lock up ammunition, but I generally avoid their advice.

Then after multiple-multiple more posts about ways to lock up ammunition, I'm beginning to think that I missed some change in Massachusetts Law. Have I? Is there a law now in Massachusetts?

So, why do you expend effort and money to lock up your ammunition?

--jcr

When I originally asked, "Why do you lock up ammunition?" somebody posted the above quote.

Nobody gave a source. I thought it was just some lame recommendation. I know that the Brady Campaign says to lock up ammunition, but I generally avoid their advice.

Then after multiple-multiple more posts about ways to lock up ammunition, I'm beginning to think that I missed some change in Massachusetts Law. Have I? Is there a law now in Massachusetts?

So, why do you expend effort and money to lock up your ammunition?

--jcr

In Massachusetts the law is that you have to lock up your ammo, as quoted above. I cannot say how long ago this law was put into effect, but it has been many years.

ETA: Here is the MA state web site PDF with it: http://www.lawlib.state.ma.us/source/mass/cmr/cmrtext/527CMR13.pdf

Looks as though it may have been law since 1996, but I am not a lawyer...

Last edited:
In Massachusetts the law is that you have to lock up your ammo, as quoted above. I cannot say how long ago this law was put into effect, but it has been many years.

ETA: Here is the MA state web site PDF with it: http://www.lawlib.state.ma.us/source/mass/cmr/cmrtext/527CMR13.pdf

Looks as though it may have been law since 1996, but I am not a lawyer...

Is there anything about locked storage in there? All I see is fire regulations but nothing about locked storage.

I have been looking for the laws on ammo storage in MA for a few days now. Can anyone point me to anything?

Specifically, can you lock ammo in the same container with the firearm? Can the firearm be loaded if in a locked container?

Is there anything about locked storage in there? All I see is fire regulations but nothing about locked storage.

I have been looking for the laws on ammo storage in MA for a few days now. Can anyone point me to anything?

Specifically, can you lock ammo in the same container with the firearm? Can the firearm be loaded if in a locked container?

Those "fire regulations" have the force of law. You can be charged with improper storage.

Page 8 in the link I posted is about locked storage: "small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use."

Assuming you are talking about in the home as opposed to transport, to the best of my knowledge there is no law in MA that prohibits storing guns and ammo in the same locked cabinet, closet, or box, whether loaded or not.

Wally world has some great giant plastic trunks for like $30 and they have a padlock hole already. You can also add locks to ammo cans easy enough, and I even like the plastic ammo cans from Cabelas. MTM makes some really sturdy and large volume plastic storage containers with padlock holes also. Check out their "dry boxes". I currently use all of the solutions mentioned above.

I was also given an old Stack-on cabinet that I'm just going to build some shelves in eventually. I would never have gone this route if it wasn't free, but that's another idea for people.

I use a Stack-On cabinet (14 rifle model) with shelves that I built. Low cost and plenty of room for cases of ammo (at least a lot more room than Stack-Ons Ammo Cabinet). I'm in RI so we don't have the storage requirements that Mass. has but I believe it will qualify as suitable storage. It only ran me $150 at Bass Pro.

I use a stack-on rifle cabinet as well. I cut two pieces of plywood to fit again the two inside side walls. I mounted tracks for adjustable shelves on those plywood pieces and then attached them inside the cabinet. I cut several shelves and covered them with felt. and now I have a really great storage cabinet.

Wally world has some great giant plastic trunks for like $30 and they have a padlock hole already. You can also add locks to ammo cans easy enough, and I even like the plastic ammo cans from Cabelas. MTM makes some really sturdy and large volume plastic storage containers with padlock holes also. Check out their "dry boxes". I currently use all of the solutions mentioned above.

I was also given an old Stack-on cabinet that I'm just going to build some shelves in eventually. I would never have gone this route if it wasn't free, but that's another idea for people.

IMO I don't want to have to unlock every single ammo box, search for a large cabinet and use a lock there, should be able to stack plenty of ammo for your needs. You may need to add supports for the shelves but think of it as better organization [wink]

Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Stora...144?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c126f4e0
browse craigslist, bet you can scoop one for cheap. e.g. http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/bfs/2760770712.html

Last edited:
In Massachusetts the law is that you have to lock up your ammo, as quoted above.

It's worth noting that CMR is regulation, not law. Not criminally enforcable under most circumstances. Now 10 people will come in and post that it functionally is the law, but it's worth noting that there are siginficant difference between something like safe storage of firearms in MA (which is criminally enforceable by basically any LEO) and storage of ammunition outlined in the CMR. (Which I believe is only enforceable by a fire official, but I could be wrong about this. )

-Mike

IMO I don't want to have to unlock every single ammo box, search for a large cabinet and use a lock there, should be able to stack plenty of ammo for your needs. You may need to add supports for the shelves but think of it as better organization [wink]

All depends on how much ammo you have to lock up. Not everybody buys out the store every time they go. The MTM dryboxes store a good amount. I also only store specific calibers in a single box, and have them labeled for easy organization. I used what was available based on need and available funds. Hence why I'm going to build shelves in my new free stack-on. I'll need to find another solution when my first cabinet gets full of guns though and I need to store more firearms :)

Back
Top Bottom