Ammunition storage cabinets?

Am looking for locking/lockable cabinets or other types of containers to store ammo. Am ideally seeking something that could hold multiple cases of ammo. What have you folks found that works well for you? Links to commercially available products appreciated. Thanks!

I've been thinking of buying one of those cheap fire safes that goes on sale at Lowes every once in a while. About $200 ish.

Don

***ok, based on further reading. I'm going to leave it in the Plano storage boxes I'm using now.

Last edited:
I use a Stack-On cabinet (14 rifle model) with shelves that I built. Low cost and plenty of room for cases of ammo (at least a lot more room than Stack-Ons Ammo Cabinet). I'm in RI so we don't have the storage requirements that Mass. has but I believe it will qualify as suitable storage. It only ran me $150 at Bass Pro.

I use a three drawer file cabinet. Plenty if space and I can segregate by caliber.

I got one of these that I found on Craigslist. I think I paid $50.00 for it a couple of years ago. I keep ammo, parts, cleaning supplies, and other gun related stuff in it. I keep the ammo on the bottom shelf and I reinforced that with 3/4" plywood for stiffness. The shelves are adjustable and it holds a lot of stuff.

I started with a much smaller cabinet, moved to a single drawer file cabinet, and then to this. If I outgrow this, I'm going to start worrying about having too much ammo.

How much space you need depends on the number of different calibers, how much ammo per caliber you plan to have on hand, and of course how much floor space you have. Generally get something bigger than you think you will need because at some point you'll find that you bought too small if you don't.

Ya, I'd keep an eye on craigslist for locking cabinets or fireproof file cabinets (they're pretty heavy duty). Wally world also has a 14-18(forget which) safe/cabinet for 149.99 that would work well.

I use this.

It's a chemicals storage cabinet, and is both locking and vented.

If you hunt around you might find some at your local junk yards or used equipment dealers

ammo.jpg

Then there's the ammo cans fitted with locks for the bulk stuff

lock.jpg

031908_11121.jpg

Last edited:
Found this on Craigslist. The ad says it's very heavy so bring friends or tools to take it apart. If I had the space and time, I'd go up and take a look at it.

I've been thinking that one of those jobsite boxes might be a good solution.

Its in the top three WORST solutions. Keep thinking and do some research. Look how ammo is stored by manufacturers, military bunkers, common carriers, distributors, retail sellers, NONE of them use what you think is a good solution because its a bomb waiting to happen. Containment is not your friend in a fire.

I got a 6 ft tall by 3 ft wide double-door steel cabinet from a used furniture supply company in Worcester several years ago. I then reinforced the shelves with L-brackets and installed a padlock. Presto - ammo storage for about $100.

Of course - now I need another one.

Its in the top three WORST solutions. Keep thinking and do some research. Look how ammo is stored by manufacturers, military bunkers, common carriers, distributors, retail sellers, NONE of them use what you think is a good solution because its a bomb waiting to happen. Containment is not your friend in a fire.

Well that settles that. [laugh]

Thank you.

I got one of these that I found on Craigslist. I think I paid $50.00 for it a couple of years ago. I keep ammo, parts, cleaning supplies, and other gun related stuff in it. I keep the ammo on the bottom shelf and I reinforced that with 3/4" plywood for stiffness. The shelves are adjustable and it holds a lot of stuff.

Just for s&gs I checked the S/H on that cabinet in the fleabay link.
Shipping & Handling:$439.84
(Insurance not available)

[thinking] [rofl]

I like the chemical cabinet (vented) however if you can get them cheap.

Otherwise why not use a wire rack/shelves and ammo cans (marked with caliber)?

small shelving for neophytes: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...=2&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

shelving for mature shooters [rofl] : http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...19&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

I also agree about not creating a bomb. Your FD won't like you at all if you do that.

The best ammo storage device ever invented. Water proof, manageable weight when not overloaded with loose .45acp ammo, can be locked with additional hardware and not create an explosion hazard, heavy duty construction yet gasketed to relieve mounting pressures if involved in a fire, already OD green or brown, stackable up to 12 high without falling over, handles on two plains, dimensionally suitable to accomodate all current use military ammunition including combloc ammo like 7.62x54R, 8mm, 12.7x99, ect.View attachment 22743

Why would anyone choose anything else?

EDIT: Suitable for very long term storage with addition of desiccants.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best ammo storage device ever invented. Water proof, manageable weight when not overloaded with loose .45acp ammo, can be locked with additional hardware and not create an explosion hazard, heavy duty construction yet gasketed to relieve mounting pressures if involved in a fire, already OD green or brown, stackable up to 12 high without falling over, handles on two plains, dimensionally suitable to accomodate all current use military ammunition including combloc ammo like 7.62x54R, 8mm, 12.7x99, ect.View attachment 22743

Why would anyone choose anything else?

I'll take ease of locking up multiple cases with one lock for a hundred please, Alex.

I'll take ease of locking up multiple cases with one lock for a hundred please, Alex.

I'll take a wire cage dog crate and padlock for fifty bucks.[wink]

If you're locking the ammo up from prying little fingers of children, thats all you'll need. Leave it in its original packaging.

Why do you lock up ammunition?

Good question! My house is locked, how many locks does one man have to put on his possessions to declare them secure?

And, I don't give two shits what the state of MA has to say about the matter, they hold no legitimacy in my eyes.

Written by lawyers for insurance companies. None of these laws existed for a couple of hundred years until someone got a huge payout from an insurance company.

Shows just how much influence if not complete control the insurance companies have on legislation that dictates public behavior. Common sense is enough to guide my actions, I don't need this corrupted to the max state dictating to me what I do in my own home.[wink]

If you have some kind of medical emergency, you won't really have control over who comes into your house or what they see.

i used to use the metal ammo boxes but found a better solution for me since the metal boxes aren't really that big and have been going up in price

I use the Plano 1812-50 box. It holds about 4x as much as a .30 cal ammo box. When full it weighs about 50#, not light but manageable. Its got O ring seals and I can stack it 3 high under my reloading bench.
They cost about $20 each on sale at West Marine.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...hanintel_google&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=111861

I have a very heavy duty fire-proof file cabinet in my garage if you're interested. It weighs a ton (hence why its in my garage and not in my house!)

Back
Top Bottom