1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Ammunition storage cabinets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Emoto, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Emoto

Emoto Member

Am looking for locking/lockable cabinets or other types of containers to store ammo. Am ideally seeking something that could hold multiple cases of ammo. What have you folks found that works well for you? Links to commercially available products appreciated. Thanks!

2. dcmdon

dcmdon Member

I've been thinking of buying one of those cheap fire safes that goes on sale at Lowes every once in a while. About $200 ish.

Don

***ok, based on further reading. I'm going to leave it in the Plano storage boxes I'm using now.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  3. trippingpara

trippingpara NES Member

I use a Stack-On cabinet (14 rifle model) with shelves that I built. Low cost and plenty of room for cases of ammo (at least a lot more room than Stack-Ons Ammo Cabinet). I'm in RI so we don't have the storage requirements that Mass. has but I believe it will qualify as suitable storage. It only ran me $150 at Bass Pro.

4. new guy

new guy NES Member

I've been thinking that one of those jobsite boxes might be a good solution.

5. dans

dans NES Member

I use a three drawer file cabinet. Plenty if space and I can segregate by caliber.

6. Emoto

Emoto Member

All the ones I see around are so flimsy it seems like they would buckle.

7. Garys

Garys NES Member

I got one of these that I found on Craigslist. I think I paid $50.00 for it a couple of years ago. I keep ammo, parts, cleaning supplies, and other gun related stuff in it. I keep the ammo on the bottom shelf and I reinforced that with 3/4" plywood for stiffness. The shelves are adjustable and it holds a lot of stuff.

I started with a much smaller cabinet, moved to a single drawer file cabinet, and then to this. If I outgrow this, I'm going to start worrying about having too much ammo.

How much space you need depends on the number of different calibers, how much ammo per caliber you plan to have on hand, and of course how much floor space you have. Generally get something bigger than you think you will need because at some point you'll find that you bought too small if you don't.

8. Jason

Jason Member

9. Bill Katt

Bill Katt NES Member

Ya, I'd keep an eye on craigslist for locking cabinets or fireproof file cabinets (they're pretty heavy duty). Wally world also has a 14-18(forget which) safe/cabinet for 149.99 that would work well.

10. fbirdquik6

fbirdquik6 NES Member

I have a giant rubbermaid style footlocker from Walmart that takes a big padlock. They are usually in the automotive section for whatever reason.

11. scouter-rick

scouter-rick Training Counselor NES Member

LMAO ........ Yup!

12. icyclefar

icyclefar NES Member

I use this.

It's a chemicals storage cabinet, and is both locking and vented.

If you hunt around you might find some at your local junk yards or used equipment dealers

[​IMG]

Then there's the ammo cans fitted with locks for the bulk stuff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  13. Garys

Garys NES Member

Found this on Craigslist. The ad says it's very heavy so bring friends or tools to take it apart. If I had the space and time, I'd go up and take a look at it.

14. Its in the top three WORST solutions. Keep thinking and do some research. Look how ammo is stored by manufacturers, military bunkers, common carriers, distributors, retail sellers, NONE of them use what you think is a good solution because its a bomb waiting to happen. Containment is not your friend in a fire.

15. USMA-82

USMA-82 Member

I got a 6 ft tall by 3 ft wide double-door steel cabinet from a used furniture supply company in Worcester several years ago. I then reinforced the shelves with L-brackets and installed a padlock. Presto - ammo storage for about $100.

Of course - now I need another one.

16. new guy

new guy NES Member

Well that settles that. [laugh]

Thank you.

17. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Dealer

Just for s&gs I checked the S/H on that cabinet in the fleabay link. [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]Shipping & Handling:[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]$439.84[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="colspan: 2"](Insurance not available)[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[thinking] [rofl]

I like the chemical cabinet (vented) however if you can get them cheap.

Otherwise why not use a wire rack/shelves and ammo cans (marked with caliber)?

small shelving for neophytes: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...=2&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

shelving for mature shooters [rofl] : http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...19&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

I also agree about not creating a bomb. Your FD won't like you at all if you do that.

18. The best ammo storage device ever invented. Water proof, manageable weight when not overloaded with loose .45acp ammo, can be locked with additional hardware and not create an explosion hazard, heavy duty construction yet gasketed to relieve mounting pressures if involved in a fire, already OD green or brown, stackable up to 12 high without falling over, handles on two plains, dimensionally suitable to accomodate all current use military ammunition including combloc ammo like 7.62x54R, 8mm, 12.7x99, ect. View attachment 22743

Why would anyone choose anything else?

EDIT: Suitable for very long term storage with addition of desiccants.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2011
  19. jcr

jcr Member

Why do you lock up ammunition?

20. Emoto

Emoto Member

I'll take ease of locking up multiple cases with one lock for a hundred please, Alex.