• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

147 vs 125

Given the same hit, distance from target, target calibration ,phase of the moon, yadda yada do 147's @ 125 PF knock over steel that might be set a tad "heavy" more reliably than 125's @ 125 PF?

A: Yes, momentum matters for knocking over targets and that's the same... but also what 45collector said.

no its actually the opposite

ShootersCalculator.com | Bullet Energy Calculator

125g at 1000 fps is 125 PF. =278 ft lbs of energy, or 376 joules
147g at 850 fps is also 125 PF. =236 ft lbs of energy, or 320 joules

The one piece you're leaving out (although it might be irrelevant) is that a heavier bullet will keep more of its speed at longer distances.

So, at a loooong distance, that 147 will have more energy simply because it slows less.

The one piece you're leaving out (although it might be irrelevant) is that a heavier bullet will keep more of its speed at longer distances.

So, at a loooong distance, that 147 will have more energy simply because it slows less.

In this case at the given conditions it appears not very significant.

Bullet energy:
125grn at 25 yards = 261 ftlbf; at 50 yards = 247 ftlbf.
147grn at 25 yards = 225; at 50 yards = 216.

I used Strelok + for calculations.

In this case at the given conditions it appears not very significant.

Bullet energy:
125grn at 25 yards = 261 ftlbf; at 50 yards = 247 ftlbf.
147grn at 25 yards = 225; at 50 yards = 216.

I used Strelok + for calculations.

Right, that's why I said, "looooong" and "might be irrelevant"

Note that the OP didn't specify the distance. We can assume it's less than 50 yards, but he didn't say.

Right, that's why I said, "looooong" and "might be irrelevant"

Note that the OP didn't specify the distance. We can assume it's less than 50 yards, but he didn't say.

Yes, we need to define long.

125grn at 200 yards = 186.
147grn at 200 yards = 169.

Thanks for all the help. Guess I'll stick with the 125's.

In the case of me shooting a pistol at steel "long" would be..... say.....12 paces. :)

Interesting stuff. Sjan post may explain why I hit a steel squarely at area 7 with a 126pf 147 and it said nope. The 115gr calibration round knocked it over. I got hit in the joules you might say.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff. Sjan post may explain why I hit a steel square at area 7 with a 126pf 147 and it said nope. The 115gr calibration round knocked it over. I got hit in the joules you might say.
126pf?
Cutting it close don't you think?
Where on the plate did you hit?
The calibration ammo must be between 115 -125, I think I remember it showing 120pf on Friday am.

...popper F#cked

Interesting stuff. Sjan post may explain why I hit a steel square at area 7 with a 126pf 147 and it said nope. The 115gr calibration round knocked it over. I got hit in the joules you might say.

147 was likely not jacketed, was 115 jacketed? Also, as SJan said, pf 126 to close, there is certain spread of velocities.

126pf?
Cutting it close don't you think?
Where on the plate did you hit?
The calibration ammo must be between 115 -125, I think I remember it showing 120pf on Friday am.

...popper F#cked
Lol 126 was my official pf, I "won" chrono bc the first round didn't fully register but they were 131. I hit the plate right at the bottom center of the circle.

Plated only if that matters.

The chances are that the popper was screwed up.

I had issues with pcc and forward falling poppers once. Popper dug into the sand and was not releasing the latch, then it was getting into the second static position. Passed the calibration ok, though. I shot 147.

Last edited:
Sooo....if there is say 3 targets before the steel, is it within the rules to load 4 in the mag, a +p+, then load 5 more gamers on top of it?

Want to try some Bullets Brian? I have 135, 147, and 160gr sitting in the cellar. Let me know
Thanks for the kind offer Gary. I'm actually holding heavy on assorted bullets myself. I'm mostly missing the key ingredient......time.

Back
Top Bottom