1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

How to hell to disassemble an old Smith and Wesson 916T Shotgun

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by qman, Oct 18, 2011.

1. qman

qman NES Member

I recently acquired an old Smith and Wesson Model 916T, 12 Gauge Shotgun.

Does anyone know the barrel can be removed for this model?
    For the life of me, I can't seem to unscrew the barrel nut holding the barrel onto the gun.
    Looks like I should be able to unscrew it, just like other shotguns.

This thing won't budge....

Also, this model seems to have a bad reputation. Based on all the online research, I am afraid to shoot it due to potential "exploding" barrel issues.

Thanks
    Q

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Dealer

Some thoughts.

Have you looked in the Manuals sub-forum. There are some links there to websites with very comprehensive numbers of manuals.

Check with the S&W website. They have online manuals for most of their guns.

Worst case, call S&W Support and ask them to Email/Fax you the manual or breakdown of disassembly/assembly for this gun.

3. T(1)of(3)

T(1)of(3) Member

4. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Dealer

In that case contact S&W and ask about the procedure to follow. Likely they will pay shipping both ways.

5. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

Smith & Wesson built the 916 (sportsman version), the 916A (riot version) and the 916T (takedown version).

So obviously it is supposed to come off, but I never handled one so cannot help.

6. pj150

pj150 NES Member

Yeah, the 916T is a bit weird. Screw the cap 'in' to loosen it from the barrel pin (actually tighten to the right) . It does not come off but it goes down to expose the pin. Hit the button to release the slide and pull back the pump lever part way. The barrel then takes a half turn and unlatches at the end where the pin protrudes at the cap. You should be able to wiggle it away and pull the barrel from the receiver.

I had a 916T for a long time and used it for a backup hunting gun. Yes, there seemed to be a recall from the 70's and S&W will refer you to another gunsmith in TN if you need parts. The only problem I had was a broken firing pin. After I fixed that, it didn't have any problems. It's a good dependable shotgun. Nice and light.

I think I may still have the manual somewhere but I do remember it's in a pdf format on some website if you look around.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  7. pjwilly

pjwilly Member

I have one and the nut should turn clockwise then the barrel should turn 1/4 turn and come out. T barrel on mine turns very hard.

8. qman

qman NES Member

Thanks for all the info guys... I just got off the phone with SMITH. They said they have no barrels available and the recall is not honored anymore.
    Apparently the barrel would be marked with an "O" if it had been replaced. I am going to check later tonight.

9. qman

qman NES Member

I was able to get the thing apart after some minor muscle. Does anyone know if I can swap the barrel on the 916T with the barrel from the 916A (Riot version)?
    I hate the long barrel....